Thread: Constant adjustment of string height

Constant adjustment of string height

I am having a problem with the bridge on my Strat that I am sure has been experienced by everyone, but I am wondering how you all handle it. It seems the individual adjustment screws do not stay locked and occasionally, I will have a couple of these screws that back off and the string height drops. How do you folks keep these screws from backing off on the bridge? For reference, it is a tremolo bridge on a 2006 MIM Strat.

Thanks!

Ron
    "What we need are more people who specialize in the impossible "- Theodore Roethke

Re: Constant adjustment of string height

A little bit of clear nail varnish on the head if the screw where it makes contact with the saddle.
    If you need to remove it you cab use, uh, nail varnish remover.

Tommy.

Good call. I was contemplating Loc-Tite, but I didn't want to "permanently" position the adjuster. Thanks!

Ron
    "What we need are more people who specialize in the impossible "- Theodore Roethke

Forum Member

remove each set screw pass a short lenght of WAXED dental floss thru the hole, and replace the set screw, no nail polish remover needed!

Forum Member

Hey Ron, I drag race also with a 9.40 1/4 mile time 66 GTO, what do you have for wheels?

Steve,

I still have my old 1969 Road Runner, but it hasn't been on the road in years. I started replacing sheetmetal and kept finding more areas in need of attention... You know how it goes. Anyway, to relieve my itch to go fast, I took the 440 I had in the Road Runner and put it in a 1971 Dodge Demon. It was the most fun I have ever had in a street car. The thing knocked down 18 mpg and still ran the quarter in the low 11-second range at over 120 mph. I took the mild 440 out of the Demon to put back in the RR and sold the Demon with a stock 440 from a 72 New Yorker. Currently, sad to say, I drive a 1998 Neon DOHC 5-speed. Not like the 440 cars, but it does get 35 mpg!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
    remove each set screw pass a short lenght of WAXED dental floss thru the hole, and replace the set screw, no nail polish remover needed!
    Excellent! Thanks!

Ron

In 20 years of playing Strats I've never had this problem. Are you sure nothing else is wrong with the guitar?

sweat.

it rusts those little SOB's
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson View Post
    sweat.

it rusts those little SOB's
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
    Hey Ron, I drag race also with a 9.40 1/4 mile time 66 GTO, what do you have for wheels?
    9.40 1/4 mile ET? That's 'crap your pants' fast if you're not used to it.

Forum Member

Yea, you kinda dont realize it do to it all happening so fast, and that your shaking a bit as you get back out of the car in the pits. Even though the car hits 141 mph at the end of the run, its the acceration that really plants you back in the seat up to the 1/8th mile mark. Hell the car is already doing 113= mph at that point already!

Anyway, rust pitting from sweat and spilled drinks opens up those threads in the bridge saddles and the stock tight fit is gone.
    I played with a guitarist once and his G string saddle screws where coming loose every other set one night so that we had to highjack some candle wax from a couples table in the clubs dinning section to lock down the screws to finish off the gig!

Steve,

We will be in Memphis for the NMCA Finals Oct. 9-12. Come check out the fun! We have street-driven cars that should be running in the 7-second zone in our True Street category. These cars must have License, Registration, proof of insurance, all DOT trimmings PLUS be able to complete a 30 mile cruise and make 3 back to back passes with no cool down period and no opening of the hood. Seriously, we will have cars in the 7.80-7.90 range tearing up the strip. This guy is bad to the bone serious and is one of the hitters who will be there:

His name is Jeff Knox and he lives about a hour from Memphis. 598 CID Rat with two stages of spray. On a SOFT tune-up two weeks ago it went 8.06 @ 176 mph after the 30 mile cruise....

Bring out the Poncho and let's have some fun!

Ron

Forum Member

I would love to come out, but its a bit of a haul from N.Y.With the cost of fuel my big once a year race I truck to is the Tri power nats all Pontiac weekend out at summit raceway in OH. With over 500 race cars its quite a sight!
    Anyway, I wish you guys luck and traction with that monster!, and a safe trip!

New York, huh? Well, we might just be in your back yard next year. We will have a race in Atco, NJ. Come on down and enjoy the race there. Lots of fast cars come from the Northeast and Atco always has a bunch of them. Mark Scordato will be there with his low 9-second 1969 GTO convertible.

Ron