Thread: Compression Question - Hey Spose

Forum Member

Compression Question - Hey Spose

Overall, I’ve scaled things back a bit lately, but I’d like to add a compressor to my rig. I’m trying to keep things portable and simple. I’m just running RBI > Mackie 1400 > Goliath III. Where should the compressor go in the signal chain?

Forum Member
    compressor before preamp, unless you have an effects loop, but still last in chain, after effects.

bass-effects-compressor-preamp

BTW, I was wondering how you like that RBI/Mackie setup? I was thinking along the same lines....I work for Mackie....I was thinkin RBI/M800

I now use a 76SVT for big gigs, and an Ashdown ABM300 Combo for smaller gigs... I wanted to get away from having to take the SVT out, but still want good tone....

Forum Member
    I just went to this set up this weekend and I really dig it. I’m getting so much more out of this 4x10 than I ever did before. I think the Mackie is dope and a bargain used. I have the 1400i and I just wish it had the speakons like the 1400.

I would recommend you give it a shot. You can get a used RBI very reasonably and you could probably get your $ back out of it if you didn’t like it.

So the RBI has an effects loop. Would you recommend running the compressor before the RBI or in the loop? I'm not using any other effects.

Forum Member
    personally, I would use it before the rbi.