Thread: smokin' crazyass tele picking..technique?

smokin' crazyass tele picking..technique?

you know, like those hellecaster guys....and speedy west & jimmy bryant etc

they don't just flatpick do they?

do they use banjo fingerpicks?

how can I learn to play like that?

videos?

I seriously doubt there are any gtr instructors in my area that can play that stuff.

thx!!
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Forum Member
    It's called hybrid picking. Some players use a thumb pick and usually their index and middle finger and other players use a flat pick and their middle and ring finger to create banjo rolls.

2 Videos that I own and like for the Chicken Picken':

Brent Mason - Nashville Chops & Western Swing Guitar (Uses a thumb pick and index/middle finger approach.)

Todd Barth - Smokin' Country Guitar (This guy is a good teacher and uses the flat pick and middle/ring finger approach.)

One video I plan to get:

Johnny Hiland - Chicken Pickin'

You can see a video clip of the opening of the Brent Mason instructional video here:

http://www.brentmason.com/dialup/video/index.html

One of the best chicken picken' sites I've found that's free and has cool licks and songs is this one. Martin Tallstrom is a heck of a player and nice guy.

http://www.tallstrom.com/

Another amazing player that comes to mind is Albert Lee and he has instructional videos out as well. There's a few more that are great, but these are the ones I liked the best.

Hope this helps. :)

hey, that's great

thx a lot!

:nelson
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Danny Gatton's "Licks & Tricks for the Telecaster", which pops up on fleaBay every now and then. Lots of good banjo roll exercises.
    No neck, no problem

Danny Gatton & Roy Buchanan both did hybrid picking with smaller jazz picks.

They're hard to get used to, but at the same time they feel more agile and provide extra clarity on the notes.

HTD, thanks for those links.
    Just a comment, Brent Mason is obviously talented, does a great job on that song but I didn't care for the effects he was using, whatever they are.

On the tallstrom site, it says you need RealOne to hear the licks, but I couldn't seem to find a way to listen to most of them. It'd be nice to hear the lick first, and then decide if I want to put the time into learning it. Am I missing something?
    So much talk about the USB port, what state is it in?

Forum Member
    Hi walshb,
    You'll need to download the free Real One Player and there's a link on his main page for it.

Then after you have it installed you should then be able to just click on the tab of each lick and it should play that lick for you.

You know I just relisten to the Brent Mason link that I posted and there is something screwy with the audio track that makes the whole thing sound like it's going through a flanger of like it's being digitized.

I've got his Instructional Video and on his Hot wired CD and his tone is excellent and nothing like that video clip.

Another player that is really good is Brad Paisley and Jerry Reed has some amazing fingerstyle stuff and some cool country double stops. Check out the transcription of "The Claw" by Jerry Reed on the Tallstrom site. That is an all time classic and a very cool one to learn.

:)

Thanks HTD. I do have the Real One player but don't recall if I tried clicking on the tab or not. I went back to try again and their server must be down, I couldn't get to the site.
    I'll try again soon.

I'm going to agree with HTD on this one...Brent Mason's video, and anything he does that you can listen to, and he does LOTS of Nashville's A team session work. Also listen to Brad Paisley's Tele work. He doesn't use any finger picks. Good luck!

HTD, thanks for that link. I've got 'sound' coming through now, makes a huge difference!

Forum Member
    Hi walshb,
    Glad I could help out and have fun with it.

I find all these country pickers amazing and need to do a lot of practicing myself to try and get this stuff down.

Enjoy! :)

Yep...and once you think you've got those hot country-fried licks "down", then it comes to you....

Now I have to address the TONE they get! Brad Paisley's tone right now is just out of this world. Brent's has always been great, but this new animal that Brad had unleashed...WOW!!

Buy the CD " Mud on the Tires" by Brad Paisley. Listen not only to the licks and chops....they're obvious. Try to get some of that tone! Make yourself smile:)

Forum Member
    Tonefreak,
    I have Brad's first two CD's and really like them. I've been wanting to pick up Mud on the Tires and check it out.

I'm a tone-a-holic too and that sometimes gets me more excited about a tune than the actual licks. Gotta love these thing they call guitars. :)

Hi HTD,

Paisley's new CD will likely be one that you'll have to have, simply because it's got more of Brad's picking on it than the first two. He consciously wanted to make a CD that featured lots of guitar.

I've always been a great fan of Brent Masons. I love his sound. The thing with Brad Paisley is that he's taken tone to another level. Still love Brent's chops, and he never plays out of place on any recording...but Paisley's got the huge tone!! :)

Forum Member

Ask Will Ray....

He hangs out on the G&L forum quite a bit since he is a G&L endorsee. Post over there and ask him about videos etc. OH....Will Ray is one of the Hellecasters.
    G&L Forum

Rick C - Old Geezer