Thread: 65 ri twin 4 $550?

65 ri twin 4 $550?

good or bad price?? someone is selling it in Phoenix. .....no connection here...just wanted to share the wealth!

david.j.kennedy@reed.edu

...Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue - $550

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: david.j.kennedy@reed.edu
    Date: 2004-01-13, 4:15AM

This is a reissue of the 65 Fender Twin Reverb. It is in almost perfect condition. It comes with pedal and amp cover. If you want a very loud tube amp with rich clean tones, you won't find anything better. These sell new for over $1000.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    this is in or around Phoenix,, AZ
    Imanidiot.

I think it's about the going rate for the RI.

Of course you can purchase 70's Twins all week long at that price.

oh, i thought this was a good deal......i'm a
    Imanidiot.

No. Twins are way undervalued, I think. You can buy one for a little more than a Bassman head. Think about that.

Twins are the black sheep of the Fender amp family. Two reasons.

HEAVY. No argument here. Casters help. A lot.

CLEAN. There isn't a "sweet spot" like on a Super, Deluxe, etc., due to the high power, SS rectification, etc. OTOH, they sound really nice and even throughout their volume range. Turn it up, and it's the same, only louder. I got your clean boost right here ;-)

They can also be excruciatingly loud and ear piercing, if you:

have JBLs linstalled

are trying to find the non-exisitant sweet spot.

I'm dragging mine ('72) out after a couple years in mothballs, because I have a gig in a former movie theater (high ceilings, tiered audience, etc.), and it's the only thing that'll fill the space nicely. I'm liking it a lot.

Guitar w/ bigsby>FDII>tuner>amp with reverb and trem. What more do you need?
    Last edited by Kap'n; 01-15-2004 at 08:21 PM.

Twins' undervalued???

hmmm

I might have to keep a keen eye in my neck of the woods...i'll bet it'd be a fortune to ship!

Kap'n, so you're saying the RI's a tad more $ because of the RI badge? or better actual quality because of more consistency in materials/craftsmanship?

btw, does it have any type of overdrive channel?

thanks 4 the info!
    Imanidiot.

The SFTR of the '70s had a master volume but it really doesn't do anything, at least as far as I can hear. Put the pre-amp on 10 and then bring up the master and you still get that squeaky Fender clean. I'm a little confused that they bothered to put master volumes on those things. There are other incarnations of the TR that do have effective master/pre-amp settings but hey, then it's not a Twin.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Originally posted by frank thomson
    Twins' undervalued???
    Kap'n, so you're saying the RI's a tad more $ because of the RI badge? or better actual quality because of more consistency in materials/craftsmanship?

RI Twins go for more than SF, mainly because the average customer who would buy a RI Twin think's they're getting a decent deal compared to a new-in-box RI Twin.

Personally I'd pay the smaller amount for any SF twin, up until '75 or so (85W or 100W, not the 135W model), and pay the difference to a tech to clean it up, change caps, plate resistors, etc.

No, there's no overdrive. That makes it all the better.

Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    The SFTR of the '70s had a master volume but it really doesn't do anything, at least as far as I can hear. Put the pre-amp on 10 and then bring up the master and you still get that squeaky Fender clean. I'm a little confused that they bothered to put master volumes on those things. There are other incarnations of the TR that do have effective master/pre-amp settings but hey, then it's not a Twin.
    T-B, you're going the wrong way around. Crank the master to 10, then use it like a :real: amp. You're right though, no dirt. Crank the channel volume, and bring down the master, and all you get is a crappier version of the sound you would have gotten if you had cranked the master.

Personally, I ripped all that master volume bullshit out of my twin, fixed the PI, etc., and it's much happier.

I've never played through an amp that had a "gain channel" in it that I liked. Yes, I've pleyed through a Chubster. I'd rather have a stand-alone dirt box any day of the week.