Thread: tweed deluxe

Forum Member

tweed deluxe

What are the best Caps,and resisters to replace the bad ones in my 5B3 wide panel? Its a nice little amp just need a little tlc.

Im new to tweed amps and im looking for some help.one more question,has anyone ever reworked the above amp to use 12ax7's.Ive been having bad luck with those metal 6sc7's going microphonic.Maybe the amp could be causeing it also. Thanks

OK....

Replace the electrolytic caps (the ones covered in cardboard) only, unless the coupling caps pass DC, then replace them as required. Make sure you not only replace the power supply filter caps, but the cathode bypass caps, especially the one for the output section. Sprague Atoms are generally considered the best replacement, use the closest uF values available. Make sure you use the same or higher voltage values. When you replace the cathode cap for the output section, replace it with a 50V rather than the 25V spec'd. Make sure you keep some distance between the cathode resistor and capacitor (just like the original) to keep from drying out the cap.

I'd also keep all of the resistors unless they're massively drifted in value, or noisy.

Other than that, and changing it to a correctly wired 3-wire cord (you WERE going to do that, I hope) I'd keep it as stock as possible. Enjoy!