Thread: Sunday Morning 11/19/2023 thread

Sunday Morning 11/19/2023 thread

Early start today parting out a couple guitars, cleaning amps, doing setups and getting all the little bits organized and priced for the big guitar swap meet next week in Manchester CT. I'll be working on this stuff all week!
    Then it's off to the woods for a 4 mile walk, followed up by MotoGP from Qatar.
    Big fun!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Re: Sunday Morning 11/19/2023 thread

Now that my Perú trip is behind me, I'm faced with the reality that in retirement, I have six Saturdays every week and one Sunday.

Other than church, the clock and calendar have all but disappeared. In the past, Sunday was a set of activities I would set aside for my "day of rest," but now I can practice guitar any time I want, eat lunch whenever I feel hungry, go for walks when the mood strikes, and just sit and read every time in between.

So, after I finish my coffee (a constant in my mornings for decades), I'll shower, and meander to church. I reached out to my daughter yesterday about the possibility of having a meal together, but we haven't firmed anything up, so I'll target a room for cleaning to occupy my non-idle time.

Life is good. Enjoy!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Now that my Perú trip is behind me, I'm faced with the reality that in retirement, I have six Saturdays every week and one Sunday.

Other than church, the clock and calendar have all but disappeared. In the past, Sunday was a set of activities I would set aside for my "day of rest," but now I can practice guitar any time I want, eat lunch whenever I feel hungry, go for walks when the mood strikes, and just sit and read every time in between.

So, after I finish my coffee (a constant in my mornings for decades), I'll shower, and meander to church. I reached out to my daughter yesterday about the possibility of having a meal together, but we haven't firmed anything up, so I'll target a room for cleaning to occupy my non-idle time.

Life is good. Enjoy!
    You will be very surprised when you find the week really flies by when you have nothing to compare daily activities against. Each day seems a clone of the last one.

It’s 33° and sunny here this morning so my wife and I thought it would be a fun day to ride the Harley out to breakfast with our usual group of Sunday morning friends.

Hope all have a great day and new week!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Other than church, the clock and calendar have all but disappeared.
    I never even know what day of the week it is. Living takes on a wonderful new look. Feels very normal. I love retirement. Been working all my life for it. I don't know where I ever found the time to work and pursue all of my interests in the past. It's been a really busy, productive life so far, and I'm not slowing down at all!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

My sonny boy has traveled a lot in South America, OS, and he's had some great times all around. I'd love to go to Peru.

Today, we did dog shelter duties. My version of church.

I've got a few house chores to do, then I'm heading out to a lake to set up my tripod and see what kinds of photos of geese and ducks I can get.

I covered a story last night at two events, the first was for a "sorority" gala of professional black women. They came with husbands, boyfriends, nephews, sons, etc. Everyone was dressed to the nines, and people were so nice. They had a great band. The guitarist was playing a PRS, the bassist a Squire Jazz with active pups and two tone knobs. The singer was amazing. Did Marvin better than Marvin, did Al Green as well as Al Green. No goofy fanning. Guy was a skilled young man. They did a version of Dock of the Bay like I'd never heard.

Then I want to a small town for their annual charity country show. Usually they do some take on Hee Haw, but this year, it was the Grand Ole Opry. Some funny skits and decent singing. One of the local mayor's sang and did skits, and she was excellent. The people were so nice here too.

If I have time, I'm getting ready to put some flats on my Eastman. I just keep putting it off-I hate changing strings, but the current ones are dead.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Apologies for "double-dipping" on this thread, but today at church with the band in house (keyboards, guitar, drums) I volunteered my services as bass player.

I'm not a bass player by training, but own a few, and enjoy straying from six strings every once in while. "Can you play quarter notes?" I was asked. Assured that I could, I was informed that I was in!

Practice is Thursdays, which works very nicely for me. Not this Thursday, due to Thanksgiving, but now that I'm retired, I can noodle and practice all I want. This could be fun!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

3 PM and still waking up. Had our annual convention this weekend and I'm tired. I love the work and the people that attend, so it's no burden, but I'm tired today. Watched the lawn covered with leaves - it will wait until next weekend.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

bye week for us, so we were only 5.5 point underdogs, LOL. My GP ordered a AAA ultrasound, some new test they give to present and former cigarette smokers, of which I am the latter. 4 in the afternoon and has an 8 hour fast. Ugh. Going to have to go to bed early and get up early so I can eat something before 8 AM. Or not. I've gone plenty of days when I didn't eat my first meal until that late. Might treat myself to a pizza or mexican tomorrow night afterwards.

All sorts of tempting amp and cab deals out there but I'm struggling to be strong and say no. Trying not to let FOMO win over me.

Going to the niece's for thanksgiving. It's going to be very full, maybe 16 people. Not far from here, maybe an hour.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Did my usual Sunday Morning thing. Went very well, gibsonjunkie has seen the pics.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Did my usual Sunday Morning thing. Went very well, gibsonjunkie has seen the pics.
    In Connecticut, that bad boy would have broken the state record!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Sorry to be posting late, but I wanted to use something other than my phone.

Started a real FT W2 job last week. Unfortunately it is 100% onsite.

I report to the CFO. It was all sort of a sudden. I applied 2 weeks ago last Sat. Got a call the following Wed to interview. Interviewed Thurs AM with the CFO. Thurs evening while I was waiting for doors to open for a Peter Frampton concert (which was awesome as always), I got a vm from the CFO. Said to call him back and he was open to calls up to 10PM. Called him back and got a verbal offer. Fri I had it in writing and inked it. Started the following Mon (a week ago Mon).

Cancelled my parts in gigs ASAP as I could for last week (1st week at the job). The wife and I agree I need to cut down on gigs as this is 100% onsite. Travel time is 45-60 min each way and I already see it impacting the time we have together. I will have that discussion with the gig owners next week to be effective at the beginning of the year.

Hoping for an update on the neck reset on my vintage D-28.
    Next week is busy with 5 gigs. Thankfully they are all on bass, so less prep time. Waiting on set lists. Hoping a 4 stringer fits the bill as I want more time with the Spector.

Also got a new to me vehicle a few weeks ago. 4 door F150. Transitioning from a SUV. Right now gear is kept in the backseat floorboard. The bed has a cover, and I got a bed extender I can invert to serve as a cage. Need to install that. Then I am grabbing a sealing tote, insulating it, and the gear will be stored in there during transit. Should be water tight and insulated from extreme temps.
    Mark