Thread: Sunday Thread, October 8

Sunday Thread, October 8

Up with the chickens as usual.

Played a quick show for a local radio station at the famous House of Guitars yesterday. Fun gig as always, and for a bonus the opening act was a couple of real douchebags with acoustics who thought they were stars. Didn't know who I was and one of them lost his crap with me for setting a foot on stage while they were performing Bad Bad Leroy Brown. I thought it was hilarious. As most of these shows do, it was running long and we were asked to setup while they were performing their acoustic duo thing. He told me it was "disrespectful" to which I replied, "No, what you did to that Creedence song was disrespectful!" So we set up, and when I grabbed my Les Paul and we did a quicky soundcheck - a rather nice impromptu Eyes of the World intro he realized what he had just done and you could watch the color drain from his face. I was tempted to tell him "You'll never work in this town again!", but pretty sure he was feeling bad at that point and no use in the drama. Hopefully they learned something about performing.

We tore the place up, BTW! One of those days when everyone was just loose and having fun, and it was outdoors and for the first time this year we weren't sweating out balls off.

Woke up this morning, (da dee da de dum) and it's blowing 30 knots so I think I'll leave the fishing to the young guns. Maybe a little wake-n-bake with some sativa and then watch the Bills play in London and some F1.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: Sunday Thread, October 8

Good morning all, and thanks for starting the Sunday thread, Chuck. I kept waking up sporadically during the night; not a fitful sleep, but not sawing the proverbial log, either. It's Sunday, so the usual downtiming sort of stuff: Church, lunch, and then reading, playing guitar (I'm having a ball putting my take on Nils Lofgren's "Black Books") and perhaps some TV. My baseball team is out of it, and there's no football on today that I'm interested in, so I might binge re-watch Band of Brothers.

This coming week will be my final training. I'm half looking forward to it and half not. Well, rest today, since today is all that we have. Fall is here, as the temperature has dropped into the forties, and the high is predicted to be only 60°. Time to pull out the sweaters!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Good Sunday morning!!! I am planning on a day of tinkering. First I'm preparing my rack for a new crossover that is coming in tomorrow. The built-in crossover in my new subwoofer didn't really cut it. Then off to Home Depot to fill in a shopping list. After that I need to replace the choke cable in my Toro Zero turn and do a bit of fine tuning on some shelves I hung in the laundry room yesterday.

Also have to work on a song I've been tinkering with. The rhythm piece hit me around 4 am this morning and I went into the bathroom to hum it into my phone and jot some lyrics down.

Work will start to pick up now. Lots of workshops scheduled or getting scheduled. It's an election year and the legislature passed a bill requiring training for all new school board members and we're who they go to for that!

Chuick - you have got to try Mrs. Junkie's Wedding Cake... For a first attempt at growing, it gets rave reviews.She is also starting to grow a batch of Ice Cream Cake. We need to scheduel a fishing trip for this fall. My brother really wants to go fishing and I casn't think of a better place to go (or a better person to fish with) If we ca nwork it out I'll bring you some. I'll call you later today!

Old Strummer - good luck in your retirement. I'm a few years behind you! I could go now, but it was great getting my first Social Security check last week and dumping most of it on bills. My goal is to be debt-free when I retire!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well this week I took off of music as well as work on Friday. My anny is Tuesday and the wife and I have been doing some day trips. Friday we did an art show and some exploring as well as picked up a couple more houses for the Christmas Village I put out. It will be going up in the next couple weeks. (Need to build out some extension boards to go on top the grand piano as I’ve run out of room).
    Yesterday we visited the Patton museum at Ft Knox and looked for property as we are looking to build a house once I get a W2 job again.
    Today is church then we are doing a home show here.
    Need to start working on music for later this week as I have 4 gigs.
    Mark

She’s gonna be a pleasant one here behind the Cheddar Curtain with a day of “fall colors” cruising in the Kettle Moraine area of Wisconsin with our Corvette club followed by cocktails and dinner. With winter just around the corner the chances of doing this are really shrinking.

Hope all have a great day.

excuse me but I'd like to speak to a manager about the leaves that appeared overnight in my yard. I didn't ask for this and I want them put back where they belong. Don't you know who I am?? Woah, this week flipped the switch to fall in a major way. Although it had warmed up, the color changed fast. Last Sunday it was stubbornly green through out. Tuesday the trees along the parkway were bursting with color. The honey locust in the clinic parking lot were flaring gold and shedding those little leaflets like mad on Thursday, on Monday they were still yellow green. I had those trees in my yard at the old house, first to fall and last to come out in the spring. Don't miss them a bit, well, except if you were lucky to get an even carpet of them on the deck they made for great picture background.

Probably going to prep a guitar for sale this coming week, my Les Paul Deluxe. I'm spending all my time on my R0 and Strat, the Deluxe is too nice to let sit unplayed. I tried to find the box labeled "Tele parts" yesterday but think it's in a location where I need to be able to bend over and dig through piles of boxes. Found the body box easily enough. Then I've got to round up the tools I'll need to assemble it and set it up.

my baseball team is out, so it's football season full in. Hockey and basketball are coming on line. Got a stretch of 1PM games before the gauntlet of Dec. OSA said something about the London game, I think I'll check that out.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Spent the day working the kinks out of a guitar solo that has two short phrases. Someone already put down a smokin' lap slide part arranged in a "call and respond" format, and my bits are the responses. Has to be just right.
    Worked out some cool harmonies as well. Recording Tuesday night. Need to be ready!

Still enjoying the glow of seeing Ana Popovic Friday night. Great show!

Walked 3 miles, and chilled.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Found the box of Tele parts and located the boxes the tools are in. Going to get a nephew to come over and move some heavy stuff for his poor old uncle so I can get those tools and finally build this thing.

Or maybe just sell the parts now, I don't know
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Found the box of Tele parts and located the boxes the tools are in. Going to get a nephew to come over and move some heavy stuff for his poor old uncle so I can get those tools and finally build this thing.

Or maybe just sell the parts now, I don't know
    odd. I too am looking for a Tele body buried somewhere in the garage.
    Mark