Thread: The Sunday Thread for April 2, 2023 - Yikes! It's Q2 Already.

The Sunday Thread for April 2, 2023 - Yikes! It's Q2 Already.

Yep, here it is Palm Sunday and the first Sunday of the second quarter of the year. I don't know why the year is going by so fast; there's nothing special about it, so far.

So today I will go get a palm frond at church, and then take it easy. Yesterday was short-sleeve weather but today is going to be back to the jacket-wearing stuff. Baseball season has begun! I'd be happier about it except that two days into the season my team, the Nationals are already looking to be dreadful. They had the second-worst record in franchise history last year, and nothing I've seen makes me think this year will be any different. Well, they still have 160 games to prove me wrong.

Be well, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for April 2, 2023 - Yikes! It's Q2 Already.

It's been a good week to be me:

Had a bit of roof damage in January. Claims adjuster came out--new roof for a $1000 deductible. Needed it for so many years.

I've been feeling stagnant at the law firm. They've never really found a way to use my skills. I've been writing semi-regular columns for our local newspapers, and they offered me a full-time job as a reporter, the money a bit better, and they offer benefits and 401k. I've had zero benefits at the firm. Now it's a matter of signing the dotted line.

Then I finished my classical-inspired little song. I have a lot to learn about how to use logic for mixing and post-production. Although I did the best I could for now, maybe I'll go back to it in the future and remix.

Now i'm off to do what I'm really good at--cleaning up dog shit at the animal shelter...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

This was a quiet week at work. It gets a bit frustrating; our nonprofit actually has offices in two buildings (although they are attached) and because of circumstances, I'm the only person in the "other" building. That can be demoralizing, because I can hear all kinds of laughter going on next door and am totally out of the loop. Ther is one empty office in the other building, but it was the old Exec's office and it's twice as big and newly renovated. The new Exec has so much crap in her office that she doesn't want to move, but apparently doesn't like the idea of me having the "nicest" office. Stupid drama, but I sometimes get demoraized sitting in this 5,000 square foot area by myself. Oh well, new tenants may be renting the space soon, so I suspect they will have to resolve the issue sooner or later.

On the plus side, I also rarely get bothered sitting in the Batcave!

We are going to my grandaughter's school this afternoon to watch her in her school play... She just turned 8 and we love her to death, but I think I've become my father... all I can think of is "when is this thing going to be over???"

Also trying to build back my guitar playing chops so I won't look like a total fool at the Rochester Jam in June. I'm finally starting to be able to handle a guitar pick again, but it's a chore getting it to hit the string I'm aiming for.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It was a quiet but productive week for me here behind the Cheddar Curtain. I managed to purchase a very, very low mileage Harley from a friend's estate sale and we hauled it to the local dealer on Saturday for new ties, battery, and fluids change. The last time the bike was licensed was in 2014 so I figured the tires would be a tad hard and dry-rotted. What is cool about this scooter is that I sold it to the gentleman who owned it when I was in sales at the local Harley dealer. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it this summer.

Not much else going on here so I hope all have a prosperous and safe week.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well bass gig cancelled last night as the venue had no power and some blocked roads due to a wind storm. Watched the 1st of the Final Four games. Did church this AM and watching a recording of F1 as it had a 1AM air time today. After that, more job hunting.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    This was a quiet week at work. It gets a bit frustrating; our nonprofit actually has offices in two buildings (although they are attached) and because of circumstances, I'm the only person in the "other" building. That can be demoralizing, because I can hear all kinds of laughter going on next door and am totally out of the loop. Ther is one empty office in the other building, but it was the old Exec's office and it's twice as big and newly renovated. The new Exec has so much crap in her office that she doesn't want to move, but apparently doesn't like the idea of me having the "nicest" office. Stupid drama, but I sometimes get demoraized sitting in this 5,000 square foot area by myself. Oh well, new tenants may be renting the space soon, so I suspect they will have to resolve the issue sooner or later.

On the plus side, I also rarely get bothered sitting in the Batcave!

We are going to my grandaughter's school this afternoon to watch her in her school play... She just turned 8 and we love her to death, but I think I've become my father... all I can think of is "when is this thing going to be over???"

Also trying to build back my guitar playing chops so I won't look like a total fool at the Rochester Jam in June. I'm finally starting to be able to handle a guitar pick again, but it's a chore getting it to hit the string I'm aiming for.
    Is the executive office big enough for two people to share it? Perhaps two people with related business, or even different schedules?

As for playing guitar, it is imperative that you keep the side of your picking hand resting/rubbing against the bridge at all times. This gives you a reference point and makes it much easier to target and pick the right strings. Not to mention developing good palm muting skills.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I'm heading out the door soon to do a little shopping.

I'm currently rehearsing electric guitar for two bands and looking forward to being in prime shape for the Lou's Cottage Inn Jam.
    Been a long time since I've played so much electric guitar. Feels great!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I'm heading out the door soon to do a little shopping.

I'm currently rehearsing electric guitar for two bands and looking forward to being in prime shape for the Lou's Cottage Inn Jam.
    Been a long time since I've played so much electric guitar. Feels great!
    Enjoy. I've been missing playing in a band. I've been wearing a new brace for my arthritis, and it's giving my thumb a break, and then when I play, I'm almost back to normal. I believe I could actually play in a band again. So have a great time. There's nothing like wielding an electric in front of a happy crowd.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

a blustery day here. Had some wicked thunderstorms last night roll through here. Nothing like what happened this week elsewhere, though.

Last sunday night, 5 minutes after I went to bed, I started feeling a tickle at the back right side of my throat and in my right nostril. By morning there was no doubt, I had a cold. Tested negative for the crud. That was about the only good news. Slept all day tuesday, practically wishing to expire. Brother said my cat was sitting beside my chair while I slept, he knew there was something amiss with his hooman. Finally by early evening I was able to sip some gatorade and eat some chicken soup. By Wednesday I was almost like a man reborn. I wasn't killing an acre of trees per day blowing my nose anymore. Only a slight residual snottiness remains. Seems to follow a pattern of very short but wicked malevolent colds I've been getting the last few times.

no car, it's at the shop waiting for parts to arrive. Hopefully have it back by tomorrow or the next day. Bro's away at gf's house. No bus service on sundays. I was going to play last night but fell asleep with the cat and lost prime guitar time. Going to get some guitar playing today while I have the house to myself and do some laundry too.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Is the executive office big enough for two people to share it? Perhaps two people with related business, or even different schedules?

As for playing guitar, it is imperative that you keep the side of your picking hand resting/rubbing against the bridge at all times. This gives you a reference point and makes it much easier to target and pick the right strings. Not to mention developing good palm muting skills.
    I appreciate the advice. I do keep in touch with the body... my problem is the nerve damage to my finger keeps me from holding a pick solidly. Partly because the muscle won't yet hold tight enough, and partly becasue it feels really uncomfortable (close to painful) that I'm forcing myself to work through it. I find my ES 335 is easier to play than my Tele, which is what I tend to grab most becasue it's hanging fight in the family room.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I appreciate the advice. I do keep in touch with the body... my problem is the nerve damage to my finger keeps me from holding a pick solidly. Partly because the muscle won't yet hold tight enough, and partly becasue it feels really uncomfortable (close to painful) that I'm forcing myself to work through it. I find my ES 335 is easier to play than my Tele, which is what I tend to grab most becasue it's hanging fight in the family room.
    I don't know if this would help, GJ, but you might want to consider it. I bought one because picks tend to come alive in my hands and grow wings. The Pykmax provides the grip and I only have to wrap my fingers around it.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I don't know if this would help, GJ, but you might want to consider it. I bought one because picks tend to come alive in my hands and grow wings. The Pykmax provides the grip and I only have to wrap my fingers around it.

I actually got one a few months ago. It seems like it could help, but the learning curve is almost as long to use this as it would to relearn holding a pick. I do keep it handy and work with it from time to time, however!

I had to drive step grandson half way home for the parents to meet and take him the rest of the way. That was Saturday. after eight hours of driving, I came home to find I had almost 102 fever... Sunday I laid in bed, sick..
    Waste of a good Sunday.. Sun was out and everything!
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I actually got one a few months ago. It seems like it could help, but the learning curve is almost as long to use this as it would to relearn holding a pick. I do keep it handy and work with it from time to time, however!
    Man, that would be so restrictive! You can't hybrid pick with it and how do you turn it to work the edges? Or palm the pick to switch to fingers? I mean, yeah, a folky strummer might like it but for anyone else it would be torture. How do you mute with it?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

That pick solution looks obstructive to me. I have gotten used to using a thumb pick. At first I wasn't impressed with the Black Mountain picks I bought, and they aren't a perfect solution. As I've gotten used to them, though, they've been a big help because my basal thumb joint is shot. With these, I don't have to grip.