Thread: Tung Sol 5881's in a super reverb??

Forum Member

Tung Sol 5881's in a super reverb??

Will the Tung Sol reissue 5881's ( like these... http://www.tubedepot.com/ts-5881.html ) work fine in a 78 super reverb that I have had blackfaced/master volume removed? Any plate voltage issues? Will they sound good in this amp?? Anyone tried them in a SR??

THX!

Re: Tung Sol 5881's in a super reverb??

Well Woody - you've pretty much answered your own question... by asking if there might be plate voltage issues you're at least acknowledging that there might be... and probably are.

The real pain is that many amps of this era have seen the hands of at least one or two amp techs by now and you're probably not - by the sound of it - exactly sure what work has been done...

If it has truly been blackfaced and has a tube rectifier then putting a 5U4 rectifier in will give you a safer starting point but some sources say that the 78 model was 135W??? So the question remains how many output tubes has your amp got and what rectifier?...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Rob, the '78 ultra-linear Super Reverb was rated at 70 watts (a bit of a stretch for a pair of 6L6's, doncha think?) and it pushed 490-500VDC to the plates. Hazarding a pair of vintage 5881's would be sheer folly IMO. Blackfaced or not, only 6L6's of the hardiest stock should be used in one of these amps. The re-issue T-S 5881's are closer to original 6L6GB/GC specs than their namesakes and are thus prolly suitable.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

But are the Mike Matthews "Tung Sol" tubes really a 6L6WGB? Who knows?

If they were NOS I'd say "why risk it?"
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Good to chip in with - and agree with you two guys and I'd say that an amp with two 6L6 types that was expected to produce any more than 40 or so watts is not going to be too happy with a pr of tubes that this link quite clearly states is not suitable for plate voltages ABOVE 400V...

Roger says the plate voltage on one of these is prolly nearer 500V so I say quit friggin' around... stick some Sovvie 5881WGC/WXT's in (whichever base is suitable), bias it up and rock on... for years... reliably. If you want to frig around with tubes for tone in an amp like this... start with V1... unless you've got deep pockets
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Quote Originally Posted by yankeerob View Post
    Roger says the plate voltage on one of these is prolly nearer 500V so I say quit friggin' around... stick some Sovvie 5881WGC/WXT's in (whichever base is suitable), bias it up and rock on... for years... reliably. If you want to frig around with tubes for tone in an amp like this... start with V1... unless you've got deep pockets
    Probably your best bet, unless you want to shell out for NOS 7581.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Probably your best bet, unless you want to shell out for NOS 7581.
    +1

The 7581A draws a skosh more max plate current (210 mA vs 205 mA for the 6L6GC) but they're great tubes -- if you can find them. I haven't seen any in over a decade now. Gotta be pricey, that's for sure.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."