Thread: Single ended 6L6 or EL34?

Single ended 6L6 or EL34?

I've got a 1x10 cabinet that fits a Champ chassis that's screaming out for me to do something with it. Since I've already got a 5F2A Princeton, I'm thinking of beefing up the OT and a few other components, and shooting for a single ended around 10W.

So, the question is, should I go EL34 or 6L6? The EL34 should have drive requirements closer to a 6V6.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Re: Single ended 6L6 or EL34?

Looks like you answered your own question.

6L6.

Because you think it's a better fit, or because you think it would sound better/be more interesting?
    orange picks

Although designed as a high gain build my AX84 SEL based amp is cathode biased for a range, to accept 6V6G all the way to KT88.
    Fine tuning that bias/plate etc. has settled right into center being 6L6GC as the most "comfortable" tube for it.

Set to clean it is a full tone that rivals PP designs but at lower volume.
    I have tried...and tried...to make EL34's sound good in that single ended design but to my ears it just doesn't have it.
    Just too mid-rangey even in live situations.
    I suppose I could tune the preamp to make it sonically fit but then it would throw out the rest of the tubes as they would end up flubby.
    Just one's experience...you know I'm still just a student of all this!

That's cool. I've got to have a defined treble. Not prominent, but it's gotta be there. A regular 5F1 doesn't have that once you get over 4 or 5.
    orange picks

I concur... but only because you're more likely to find a better sounding 6L6 to execute the plan - be they new production variants or NOS - than you are a decent EL34... there is a vastly greater number of NOS 6L6's available worldwide than there are EL34's and my experience says that it'd be easier and more sonically rewarding to bend a Fender amp design to accomodate a 6L6 than it would be do all the calculations and execute a plan for a tube that... well... just isn't that well supported anymore

Good luck with it anyway and gis a shout via PM - I've got something you might be interested in
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

6L6 gets my vote. my best buddy has a silverface champ with a 6L6 in it and does it ever sound just like his bandmaster, only quieter! it's a phenomenal amp. if you close your eyes and actually listen with your ears you'd never know it was a small amp.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I would love to hear that! I have yet to play or hear a small amp (especially a single ended amp) that I actually like!

all it is is a '75 or so silverface champ with a new jensen speaker. the bias resistor is set in between what a 6V6 and a 6L6 would want. so you can use either or. i think kap has an article or something on it, that's who helped me with the project. my amp tech gary did all the work. the real trick is trying out a bunch of different power tubes in it to see which one sounds best. as it's a small single ended amp tubes play a HUGE role in the tone, just like tweeds.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"