Thread: '81 Strat refret

Forum Member

'81 Strat refret

Hi,
    I have an 81 Strat with a maple neck that needs to be refretted. I think remember reading somewhere that in older Strats the frets had to be driven out from the side (due to the tangs ?) instead of being pulled straight up and that puling them straight up would damage the fretboard. Am I remembering correctly ? Has anyone else heard of that?
    Also, can anyone recommend someone in the Clearwater/Tampa Fla area ? The place I was going to take it to is no longer in business. I am really nervous about having this done because of the potential of irreparable damage being done by someone who thinks they know what they are doing. Thanks.
    johnnymac01

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: '81 Strat refret

I've got an e-pal in the Tampa area -- I'll check with him and see who he uses.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: '81 Strat refret

Here's what my friend had to say......

My buddy Ed Wright who works on my guitars does a nice job. His cell # is 813-758-9741

I think the guy who did my 79 back in the 90s works at Sam Ash now -- his name is John O’Boyle (he’s Dan Erlewine’s brother in law). He did a great job IMO. I don’t have a # for John, just call Sam Ash (it's in the Tampa/Carrollwood area). He’s not in today but he’ll be there tomorrow. Their # is 813-908-5556.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."