Thread: Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.....

Forum Member

Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.....

Greetings!

I am looking for some help in enhancing my speed-picking technique. By "speed picking," the more specific technique which I am struggling with involves holding a flat pick and doing alternate (up-down) picking -- no legatos -- at high speed. Some of the players that work this technique well seem to keep a really rigid right wrist, and instead initiate most of the picking movement at the right elbow.

For myself, it seems like when I try to play really fast alternate picking, that I lose a bit of coordination between the right and left hands. I almost sense that the fretting fingertip might just contact the string -- but not yet be fully seated behind the fret -- at the instant the pick strikes, but I really am not sure about this. What I am certain of is that my playing kind of unravels when I try to go to very fast alternate picking.

I am hoping to gain some insights, suggestions, exercises, or recommendations other players might have to assist me with this issue.

I am grateful for any helpful replies.

Re: Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.....

Just my opinion, but there is no "best" or "correct" or "guaranteed" technique for high speed picking. You'll have to try some different techniques to see which works for you.

As far as what moves, in my case the elbow is faster than the shoulder, the wrist faster than the elbow, and the thumb and fingers are faster than the wrist. The fastest way I've found for picking is to make the movement with the finger and thumb that hold the pick, not the wrist or elbow. This is done by flexing the last joint of the index finger and the last joint of the thumb. Just move the wrist to keep the hand over the strings being picked. You might include this technique among your experiments.

As far as picking style, there are a few. Alternate picking is popular right now. I use economy picking. Its main advantage is that one NEVER has to think about whether they do an up or down stroke. I have not thought about up and down strokes for over 40 years. This is why the technique has remained popular in improvisational jazz soloing - one less thing to think about - it is natural and very fast. So don't get hung up on believing you can only speed pick using alternate picking. If you are not familiar with economy picking or some of the others styles, do some research and experiment see if any of them might work for you.

As far as coordinating the left and right hand, that comes from doing things slowly, deliberately, and absolutely correctly - no matter how slowly to get it perfect. What you are doing right now is getting impatient and messing up. You are actually practicing messing up when that happens and that bad training is just as strong as practicing without messing up.
    IMPORTANT!
    You don't want to practice it until you get it right...
    You want to practice it until you NEVER GET IT WRONG.
    This is the fundamental distinction that characterizes a pro (and that is the way you want to play)

Only after reaching the point where you never get it wrong should you up the speed - until you never get it wrong at that higher speed, then add another step of speed and repeat. When you see one of the guitar gods on stage executing a high-speed technical solo you can be sure that he practiced it at slower speeds until perfect before moving it up... it works if you are patient and make sure you don't allow yourself to practice mistakes.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=790872

1988 Strat Plus
    2007 Deluxe Reverb
    2005 Ibanez AF75
    1980 Sigma/Martin DM-18

Forum Member

Re: Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.....

Wow! Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed reply.

There is much wisdom in the words you have written -- some of which I have encountered before -- but it is always good to re-affirm the importance of setting the groundwork, paying the dues, and getting it right. I have read your reply more than once (and probably will do so yet again!) and I very much appreciate the time and effort you spent in responding to my query.

Thanks again!