Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clapton's Got a Cool Strat

Re: Clapton's Got a Cool Strat

When I heard & saw the last videoof Beck playing with Clapton it sounded to me like a Marshall but what the heck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    I still find it more fascinating that the thread started out commenting on the paint color of Clapton's guitar then veered to his hairdo.

Ah, the days of the white-boy 'fro. I think that haircut was called The Fool, wasn't it...?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Gravity Jim

Nobody could beat Mel Brewer in that department.

Get Page and May in that pic too and its a DONE deal.......

Forum Member

I still find it more fascinating that the thread started out commenting on the paint color of Clapton's guitar then veered to his hairdo.
    Sorry 'bout that awkward twist. I really didn't mean to derail...

I just thought the doo was a huge step backward from the previous Clapton iteration.

I didn't think it would turn into a topic of discussion.

And yes, I agree, the fro was the worst!

Forum Member

Green Strat, purple suit...
    with Robert Cray and the great Night Music band

I kid, of course, but it's a great performance.
    That was my favorite finish on the original Clapton sig strats. According to the story, he took a 7up can in to a meeting and said 'I want THIS color.'

Forum Member

Re: Clapstick's Got a Cool Strat

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Definitely a cool Strat, but the new/old hair style is a bit dated.

I'm thinkin' he was lookin' a bit mo' statley with the buzz cut.

Nothin' wrong with long hair but.. at some point in life in begins to look a bit like you're trying too hard to not get old.
    First, no matter what Strat Clapton picks up, it is "cool" BECAUSE he has picked it up!

Second, in hindsight, if I still had that much on top, I would be letting it grow all over the place!

Let it Rock!!!!

Forum Member

Re: Clapstick's Got a Cool Strat

Quote Originally Posted by BluesDisciple View Post
    Second, in hindsight, if I still had that much on top, I would be letting it grow all over the place!
    I probably would, too!

Let it grow, let it grow
    Let it blossom, let it flow
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Bunch of girls!
    Sakai '69 Strat clone
    Epiphone Elitist Sheraton
    J&D Bros' Les Paul
    Epiphone G400

Tanglewood 'Seagull' SG-W

It's blue. Really, it's blue.

Got tickets to see Clapton with Roger Daltry next week! (a birthday present from my wife) I'm stoked!

BTW, alot of cats mic a cab or two under the stage or in a iso-cab and use the stage cabs as monitors.

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coque View Post
    Got tickets to see Clapton with Roger Daltry next week! (a birthday present from my wife) I'm stoked!

BTW, alot of cats mic a cab or two under the stage or in a iso-cab and use the stage cabs as monitors.
    Some friends of mine here saw that show in Nashville and dug it.

As for the cabs... sometimes they're not even used as monitors. I read that Mike Campbell's row of Super Beatles not only isn't plugged in, there aren't any speakers inside: he's micin'g a 5E3 and a Princeton behind them (is there an AC 30 in there, too?): the attractive, period-correct Super Beatle cabs are empty to reduce weight.

I know Alex Lifeson mics his cabs under the stage and uses his stage cabs as monitors, but Geddy Lee goes through an Avalon pre, a direct box and a Palmer speaker sim and then right into the house! For the record, he has laundry dryers and vending machines in place of a wall of speaker cabs. His roadies must love him.

Quote Originally Posted by as90 View Post
    Bunch of girls!
    I'm digging the guitar in your avatar.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

The guitar is Daphne Blue as mentioned previously but he's moved on to using a dark grey Strat now....Grigio Silverstone. Supposed to be a Ferrari color. He used the same guitar in that color exclusively at the Nashville show, which I was able to attend.

As far as Beck's amp situation Mike Eldred of the Fender Custom Shop was at the MSG shows and posted on the Custom Shop forum that the Marshalls were dummies....not mic'd and not turned on. Why he had them out there is anybody's guess, maybe for looks. Who knows? Mike says he played through the Pro Jr with the volume set on 4.

Forum Member

Here's another pic of the setup that may address the question of whether the Marshalls were mic'd or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coque View Post
    ...but Geddy Lee goes through an Avalon pre, a direct box and a Palmer speaker sim and then right into the house! For the record, he has laundry dryers and vending machines in place of a wall of speaker cabs. His roadies must love him.
    From what I understand, not that Geddy actually loads, sorts and folds, but the crew's laundry is spinning in those machines.

I wonder who washes it all?
    But I guess that's another thread.
    Elvis Costello

Gravity Jim

I remember reading that during the tour where he had the vending machines, he and Alex would help themselves to snacks from the machines and sit at a "break room" table downstage while Neal did his obligatory drum solo.

To me, that sounds like a great way to make a drum solo more entertaining.

Back to the controversy at hand.
    On Clapton's side, I see 2 or 3 mics, on two tweeds. Meanwhile, the reflection blocker thing is not in front of Beck's magical Pro Jr.
    I'm officially going to speculate that, in similar fashion as Campbell's Super Beetle, it's there to look cool and hide his hairdryer.

Elvis Costello

Gravity Jim

Neo, in the closer shots you can see there is another, identical Pro Junior behind the Reflexion Filter. I suspect the easily visible one is a back-up.

I don't see mics on the Marshall cabs. There is undoubtedly a hair dryer hidden somewhere.

Or maybe Jeff is using something like this (scroll down to see the Hair Raiser):

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...o_Guitars.aspx

Forum Member

Man, you guys are stubborn. No mics on the cabs,,,,maybe the cabs have mics built in. Or maybe there's a cab offstage mic'd(bullshit). Why caint you get yer lil minds around the fact that the Jr does the trick, and the PA carries the weight?? Marshalls are over-rated. There, that'll give you something to get pissed about!

CT.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone View Post
    Marshalls are over-rated. There, that'll give you something to get pissed about!

CT.
    Looks like that head is just the right size to hold two folded towels.
    So I guess it's not there just for show.
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

I have a hard time believing that head and cabs are just for looks simply because they don't look all that impressive. Its like a 12" Stonehenge, in't?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone View Post
    Man, you guys are stubborn. No mics on the cabs,,,,maybe the cabs have mics built in. Or maybe there's a cab offstage mic'd(bullshit). Why caint you get yer lil minds around the fact that the Jr does the trick, and the PA carries the weight?? ...

CT.
    My answer to your question would be, "Because on his last three to four tours, Beck did use those Marhsalls and they were turned on." I'm not in any disbelief that they aren't turned on now if that's what folks who were there can attest to, but the fact that he has relied on them for so long as his sound--his thang--it seems odd he'd use only the PJ and still bring all that extra gear for no reason. I do not contest the current setup, I'm merely saying it's odd.

Of course my other question is this: "Why does other people's speculation make you angry enough to call people names and behave like a raving prick?"

My lil mind caint get around it, but it can work out a good ole fix for it.

Forum Member

Just to add to the fun Eldred also mentioned the Tele Beck used at that show was MIM, stock except for the pickups. He didn't mention what the pickups were.....

Mike Eldred is the Director of the Fender Custom Shop for those who don't know. He posts frequently on the Custom Shop forum....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    My answer to your question would be, "Because on his last three to four tours, Beck did use those Marhsalls and they were turned on." I'm not in any disbelief that they aren't turned on now if that's what folks who were there can attest to, but the fact that he has relied on them for so long as his sound--his thang--it seems odd he'd use only the PJ and still bring all that extra gear for no reason. I do not contest the current setup, I'm merely saying it's odd.

Of course my other question is this: "Why does other people's speculation make you angry enough to call people names and behave like a raving prick?"

My lil mind caint get around it, but it can work out a good ole fix for it.
    I don't want to argue with a MOD, but I didn't call anyone any names. Just making my point. Maybe more liberal use of smilies would help.

CT.

Forum Member

Maybe you didn't call anyone names (other than stubborn, which is ironic as hell) -- but you did make a shot about "little minds" and use a bit o' the old locker-room language. It clearly steams you to no end that we won't just accept the account you got second-hand from "farcaster," a guy on another message board, as the indisputable truth. (Who's sitting on "wadded panties" now, Coco? )

Since you don't want to let it drop: How exactly is it "bullshit" that there might be an offstage cab mic'd? Other performers do it all the time; they have cabs offstage or under the stage, mic'd, so they can crank their 50- and 100-watt Marshalls up into the sweet spot without blowing everyone else off the stage. Anybody who reads Guitar Player knows it's not an uncommon practice. Beck may or may not do it, but it's far from "bullshit" to suggest that might be the case.

Another thing: Even the dude from another board, who you want us to accept as infallible, won't say the Marshall wasn't turned on. He said it was on standby. Which again raises the question -- even if he could tell for sure what position the standby switch was in from where he sat -- why would Beck have an amp onstage, with something plugged into it, powered up and on standby, if he didn't intend to use it?

Maybe the account of this anonymous dude from another board is right. (And maybe he's not anonymous to you; maybe you know him personally, and that's why it burns you up so much that we won't just concede that he couldn't possibly be wrong.) But whether he's wrong or right, it's not "stubborn" for people to say it's odd that Beck would have a Marshall amp and two 4x12 cabs on stage, with something plugged into the input and the power light glowing, and never use that rig during the entire show. And it's not "bullshit" to speculate on ways he might've used that rig.
    Last edited by elicross; 03-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Member

Give it a rest already. We all know lots of folks use Marshalls as stage props. For looks. It isn't too farfetched to think that Beck is going more for tone, and the Marshalls are there for the myth. With the horsepower already on that stage, I don't see need to mic an offstage cab. I don't knoe Farcaster from you either. Ya'll obviously are taking this far more seriously than I am.

CT.

Forum Member

CT, it takes at least two people to "give it a rest." As for who's taking this more seriously...scroll up and see who's using words like "bullshit" and "pissed" and "your little minds."

I don't know *why* you're so invested in being right that you can't even tolerate speculation to the contrary without tossing insults...but it's very obvious that nobody here is taking this as seriously as you are. As a general rule in discussions like these, it's almost always the first guy to accuse the other side of being upset or taking it too seriously who is, in fact, upset and taking it too seriously.

Forum Member

Oh,,,ic. Ok. You can be right. I have my opinion, and you have yours. Thats whats so neat about discussions!!!

CT.

Forum Member

PS,,,I tend to cuss alot. Sometimes, it gets the point across better than being politically correct. Always gets a rise tho,,,

CT.

Forum Member

Really adds authority to your position, too.

Forum Member

You dissing me there pal??!?

CT.