Thread: If I only want one Tele?

If I only want one Tele?

What do I go for? Baja? Roadworn? MIA? Custom Shop? Partsocaster?

I just want tone Tele. I'm ending up with too many guitars I don't play. Trying to clear them off bit by bit is a hassle, and not very good for the wallet either. so if I want to get one Tele where I know it's at least going to be more than decent in build quality, what should I be looking at?

I was intending to have one made, but somehow the parts I watned are taking forever to arrive at my fav store. Apparently they don't make lightweight doublebound ash bodies. So maybe I shouldn't try that hard and get something off the shelf?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: If I only want one Tele?

For basic vintage Tele tone, I'd start with a MIM '50s RI in butterscotch. Stuff it with a set of Fralins, bolt on a brass-barrel bridge, skin it with a black pickguard, and let 'er rip. You can prolly find a used one on the secondary market for five bills or so.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is the same that most people give to all the other questions similar to this in nature. That answer is, if you only want one, you need to go play a bunch and find the one that speaks to you.

I now have two Tele's, an AM. Std. and a MIM standard. To me, there is a world of difference between these two guitars, and yet they are so close at the same time. I can tell major differences, but other players and audience members can't tell any difference at all. The real difference is, I'm the one playing them so my opinion is the one that matters most to me. The MIM is going to go away soon. Not that it's a "bad guitar"; This one just doesn't seem to be a "happy guitar" (to me).

I've been on the lookout for another Tele for a long time now. They are one of my most favorite guitar models. I've tried the Roadworn, the 50's Classics, the 52RI's, the Am. models, but still haven't been able to get ahold of a Baja yet. For me, the 52RI Thinskin that Wildwood (and select others) was selling seem to be what I'm looking for most. Unfortunately, they're out of stock and since they were a special run, there may not be any more of them made.

I'll eventually find another Tele that I can love (instead of like a lot), and that's what I'll buy - regardless of what model it happens to be.

The MIM 50's Classic is a nice guitar. I've never seen one in Butterscotch.

The Roadworns I've played felt and sounded nice, but looked like hell.
    I guess I could get over that if I owned one.

My two favorite production Tele's are the Baja and the Vintage Hot Rod '52 tele.
    The both have nice, reasonably chunky necks (soft V and U shaped), but w/medium jumbo frets and a 9.5" radius.
    They cost roughly twice as much as the 50's Classic, unless you find a deal.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

The Partscaster route is not a bad way to go. If you are mainly interested in tone, then figure out the tone you like and try to determine what woods, pickups, etc., produce that tone. I put together my first Strat last year and I am very happy with it. I did a LOT of up-front research which included researching the equipment of players whose tone I liked a lot, and talking to knowledgeable and experienced players. Although you won't save a lot of money, you might get closer to what you want, as long as you don't overdo it. Stick with tone and playability and don't get too fancy.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

That's what I did. I wanted a Tele. I wanted a blackguard done my way.

I ordered the body and neck from USACG, Fender '52 re-issue hardware from Angela and MF and pickups from Fralin.

I needed a few supplies from Stewmac.

I finished myself in wipe on poly.

It came out great! It's the nicest playing Tele I've ever held and sound great!

5 years ago it cost me about $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I finished myself in wipe on poly.

You look great, BTW.
    Elvis Costello

And he's water repellant.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    You look great, BTW.
    Looks natural, don't it!

like a frog's ...
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

I never said so before, but thanks for not posting step-by-step photos of that process, at least not here.
    Elvis Costello

Hahahaha... You guys crack me up...

I'm definately going to go try them quite a bit. I remember having great impressions of the classic player strats. Maybe the Baja might be my thing.

To get back to the orignal question...

I LOVE the Baja neck. The pickups are great too. I prefer 3 way switching to the 4 way but it's not a big deal.

The biggest downside on the Baja, as far as I'm concerned, is that it only comes available in two shades of mud, each uglier than the other.

I've got two part-o-teles and both have Baja necks. One of them has the Baja pickups.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    I never said so before, but thanks for not posting step-by-step photos of that process, at least not here.
    I was very careful in how I mentioned the rub that I use in Chuck's beer can chicken thread!

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    To get back to the orignal question...

I LOVE the Baja neck. The pickups are great too. I prefer 3 way switching to the 4 way but it's not a big deal.
    The neck is great. Nice combo of vintage feel, in the profile, and modern playability on the radius & frets.
    I have the Baja p'ups in my Neo-Tele. Love those too.
    I'm not sure I'll always keep the 4-way switch.
    I almost wish the "in series" sound was accessed w/a mini toggle or something, to keep from flicking there by mistake, which I do.
    Elvis Costello

It's all about the neck for me. Find the one that has a super comfy neck. Play a bunch and one will speak to you.

20O5 American Standard.

I went out to buy a Baja or a HW1 in blonde or at a push financially – USA std. Came back with this CIJ ’62 reissue spending only about a half of my allowed budget – you really have to find what suits you

I guess I have to speak on this... I hadn't owned a Tele until I bought the Squire CV Tele that I own now. I've played a slew of 'em... but this is my first. I must say that I am very happy with it and find myself playing it about 80% of the time at shows. I did tweak the setup and replace the pickups but it's a damn fine guitar for the money... or at least what I spent on it nearly a year ago... $300. I understand they're a little more now though. So other than the logo I feel you're not giving up that much to the real deal costing lots more. I love mine... TJ will testify as well.

I guess I have to speak on this... I hadn't owned a Tele until I bought the Squire CV Tele that I own now. I've played a slew of 'em... the real deal Fender offerings but this is my first Tele I've owned. I must say that I am very happy with it and find myself playing it about 80% of the time at shows. I did tweak the setup and replace the pickups but it's a damn fine guitar for the money... or at least what I spent on it nearly a year ago... $300. I understand they're a little more now though. So other than the logo I feel you're not giving up that much to the real deal costing lots more. I love mine... TJ will testify as well.

Forum Member

Try out a used Hwy One Texas Tele. Their necks are the American '52 reissue necks with a satin finish and the bodies are what I believe to be swamp ash. Also, the frets are pretty jumbo.

I too fell victim to the allure of the Squier CV Tele, so much so that I can't even bring myself to swap out the pickups. (Alnico 3s)
    I have a custom built guitar with a SD Broadcaster in the bridge & a tappable H/B in the neck which gives me more modern Tele sounds but the CV has that pure Tele twang.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Direstraits View Post
    I too fell victim to the allure of the Squier CV Tele, so much so that I can't even bring myself to swap out the pickups. (Alnico 3s)
    I have a custom built guitar with a SD Broadcaster in the bridge & a tappable H/B in the neck which gives me more modern Tele sounds but the CV has that pure Tele twang.
    The only reason I changed from the stock pickups was the noise. I play classic and hard rock and use an assortment of pedals to achieve my sound for various songs. No gain or low gain wasn't a problem but going to higher gain settings was annoying. Since swapping the pickups I've noticed I still have the twang when needed but much, much quieter on the more distorted stuff we play. The CV's are great guitars. I play mine a lot and seem to gravitate towards it in most scenarios unless I need to play something really heavy... then I go with a LP or the Carvin Bolt kit i built with just one humbucker and a whammy bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    It's all about the neck for me. Find the one that has a super comfy neck. Play a bunch and one will speak to you.
    That's a NICE standard!!!

Thing about necks... I used to be really particular about my necks. They used to "MUST BE" C shaped and of a certain size (usually small). but I've since picked up a few different guitars, ranging from thick C to thin C to soft Vs to a 50s LP profile, and I've discovered that I'm able to adapt to all of them. I haven't really tried the classic D shape of a 52' Tele yet, but I'd like to, and I'm pretty sure, I would be able to adapt. So I've sort of discovered that necks aren't all that crucial to me after all.

What I have discovered that's crucial to me, is fretboard radius. It must be a minimum of 9.5". Anything smaller, and I don't like the feel. Fret size is also crucial, as I can't play anything smaller than 6105s. My bends start to get messy.

Lastly, the guitar itself MUST ring well and sustain well. Some guitars are ok, and some are great for sustain. I need that sustain, as I tend to play with it quite a bit.

Looks like I got a bunch to go try...

Forum Member

If I lost my Tele, I'd go back and check out more Bajas. That seems to be the one I go in the stores all the time.
    I like the Hwy 1 finish, too.

If I was back in fat city, I'd order up a James Burton in white.

Here is the part where I recommend looking at second hand custom shop teles and everyone says you dont need to spend that much.

And maybe you dont.

Listen, I wouldnt buy a custom shop guitar just to say I have one or to show off. If I played a guitar that was 200 dollars that was better then that's what I would get. Showing off is what original paintings and weekend cars are for. But I for one have always been impressed by the quality coming out of the fender custom shop and used they represent, to me anyway, a pretty good value since you shouldnt have to break 2 grand to get one.

I know that when I peruse the guitar websites I am looking at relics. I used to hate them, I thought it was fake and they were lame and stupid. But then I played one. And another one. And a few more. And I have to say, that's where I would most likely spend my money.

ps I think you cant really go wrong with modern fender guitars. They have really stepped their game and their QC up so I would happy with a mim standard tele if I wasnt looking to spend a ton of cash
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Porter View Post
    I went out to buy a Baja or a HW1 in blonde or at a push financially – USA std. Came back with this CIJ ’62 reissue spending only about a half of my allowed budget – you really have to find what suits you

That's one nice tuxedo Tele Billy!