Thread: Odd Custom Shop Tele, Any Input?

Forum Member

Odd Custom Shop Tele, Any Input?

Well I have been looking for a Tele for a few weeks now. I found a Fender Custom Shop Custom Deluxe Telecaster at the local dealer that really played well for me, and sounded bettter than the rest I have tried. So after thinking about it for the past week, I finallly went ahead and picked it up.

The hand written hang tag from Fender says it is a model 923-1000-582 in Violin Burst. Serial Number R49XXX. The Certificate that came with it says it was made in August of 2009. The cardboard box it came in lists it as a "Custom Deluxe Telecaster NOS '57 Soft V Neck with Rosewood Fingerboard".

Well when I tried to look it up on the custom shop website (http://www.fender.com/customshop/ins...tno=1509800831) to get some specs and I can't find this model at all. The Custom Deluxe Telecasters on the website show the model number starting with 150-9800 and I can't find any guitars on the website that list violin burst as a color option.

Is it common for the Custom shop to do non-standard colors and necks on one of their "regular" guitar models? If it helps, the neck has the birdseye grain in the maple part. I love the guitar and really just want to find the specs on it. Anyone ever emailed the Custom shop? Maybe they could give me history on this build? Thanks.

Forum Member

Re: Odd Custom Shop Tele, Any Input?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn4380 View Post
    Well I have been looking for a Tele for a few weeks now. I found a Fender Custom Shop Custom Deluxe Telecaster at the local dealer that really played well for me, and sounded bettter than the rest I have tried. So after thinking about it for the past week, I finallly went ahead and picked it up.

The hand written hang tag from Fender says it is a model 923-1000-582 in Violin Burst. Serial Number R49XXX. The Certificate that came with it says it was made in August of 2009. The cardboard box it came in lists it as a "Custom Deluxe Telecaster NOS '57 Soft V Neck with Rosewood Fingerboard".

Well when I tried to look it up on the custom shop website (http://www.fender.com/customshop/ins...tno=1509800831) to get some specs and I can't find this model at all. The Custom Deluxe Telecasters on the website show the model number starting with 150-9800 and I can't find any guitars on the website that list violin burst as a color option.

Is it common for the Custom shop to do non-standard colors and necks on one of their "regular" guitar models? If it helps, the neck has the birdseye grain in the maple part. I love the guitar and really just want to find the specs on it. Anyone ever emailed the Custom shop? Maybe they could give me history on this build? Thanks.

Email Fender consumer support, not the Custom Shop; they can/will tell you anything you want to know about the guitar to the point of which direction the paint was stirred if you give them the serial number. Takes a couple of days sometimes for a reply, so be patient. :)

Some dealers do special order colors or finish; it's not that unusual. I wouldn't be too concerned about the shipping box matching the actual guitar, most dealers just grab what's handy. It probably came with another guitar.

Enjoy!

Exactly as Billco said. I did that with a Tele I just bought and had a response within a day. I know another guy who did that and had the same results. All you need is the serial number and they will email back all the particulars.

For example, has made natural (clear) finished ashed Teles,J and P basses, etc. specifically for Musician's Friend/Guitar Center for some time. You won't find much about them on Fender's Web site, but a friendly querie to the customer service department will get you the specs, including finish, who it was made for, etc.

I'd like to see some pix of that Tele. That "violin burst" sounds like it would be gorgeous.

Paul

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluespckr View Post
    Exactly as Billco said. I did that with a Tele I just bought and had a response within a day. I know another guy who did that and had the same results. All you need is the serial number and they will email back all the particulars.

For example, has made natural (clear) finished ashed Teles,J and P basses, etc. specifically for Musician's Friend/Guitar Center for some time. You won't find much about them on Fender's Web site, but a friendly querie to the customer service department will get you the specs, including finish, who it was made for, etc.

I'd like to see some pix of that Tele. That "violin burst" sounds like it would be gorgeous.

Paul

Thank you both for the replies, email will be written later today.

I was wondering if anyone would want pics, and now I know. I will try to have some up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn4380 View Post
    Thank you both for the replies, email will be written later today.

I was wondering if anyone would want pics, and now I know. I will try to have some up soon.
    Cool beans. Can't wait to see the pix.

Keep us updated on what you find out about the Tele.

Paul

Forum Member

I started a new thread with the requested pictures.