Thread: It's official I am a 'Boost-aholic'

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

It's official I am a 'Boost-aholic'

Guy swapped me a whole box full of cool vintage effects for a mexi Strat. And the only one I wanna keep...? An old LPB-2, lol!

Re: It's official I am a 'Boost-aholic'

I hear you! I had a LB1 and an LB2. I love boosts. Nothing like playing a tube amp at the point of break up, then slamming it! I've settled on two of them on my board; a Beano Boost (Rangemaster clone) and a Rooster Booster (an op amp boost, not the BJF Red Rooster). I use the Beano a lot.

They mostly are "keep on" pedals when I am using them and still using the guitar's volume knob.

I also love using an od/dist/fuzz and stacking them with the boosts.

The Rooster Booster doesn't have a lot of boost to it, but it has a nice tone control. I've used it as a pseudo power brake in a way too. Cranking the amp and/or pedals I would turn the volume down way below unity gain. It is cool, but you loose a lot of dynamics that way. The other thing that was cool with it is to turn the tone all the way counterclockwise, the volume up a little and the guitar's tone also all the way down. Like that you can get some cool vintage tones with your fuzz pedals!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

I used my new Rangemaster clone with the band last night. If I turned it on while the amp is set clean the rest of the band members would jump with the increase of volume and presence.

On the other hand, If I turned it on while the amp was set dirty, it would make it dirtier and more fluid. It's not really a boost pedal in the modern sense.

I have a BMF Fat Bastard that I've used for years. It sounds great with Fender guitars with single coil pickups. It gives them a bit more chime and sparkle and fills out their sound. Believe it or not, I think it has less parts in it than the Rangemaster!

Hmm, I really ought to make a boost... I just fixed up a WEM Dominator MK3 (basically a Marshall 18W without the trem and SS rectification) that I think could do with a bit of goosing on the front end.
    Sounds really good though! Better cleans than I thought anything British could do to be honest.

I almost got a BMF Fat Bastard, but I did get one of their Purlpe Nurple OD pedals.

I am impressed by the Super Duper clean boost by Hard On pedals.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Hmm, I really ought to make a boost... I just fixed up a WEM Dominator MK3 (basically a Marshall 18W without the trem and SS rectification) that I think could do with a bit of goosing on the front end.
    yeah, yeh, yeah, there is hardly anthing inside of them - yet they improve the sound of 30 and under watt amps more than anything, esp the ones that preserve the high end. My Tele into the LPB-2 into a real 1962.5 Vibroverb on about 6 was unreal!

Hmm.... Is the LPB2 and EHX pedal?

I like the mxr line driver. its REALLY clean though and doesnt offer the outrageous boost that some pedals (e.g. that zvex boost) do but 20db is more than enough.

it makes my 18watt sound like its on fire D: no hissy noises or tone coloring (which may or may not float your boat if you like rangemasters or tubescreamers) and it costs 100 bucks brand spanking new.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

The LPB-2 is indeed an old EX pedal. It is the floor version of the infamous LPB-1 which plugged right onto ther amp socket. You can pick them up dirt cheap, like $25 and they will make your amp roar w/ hardly any color added!

They can be noisy, especially if your rig is already noisy.

Paahhty, poooopah! (spoken in Arnold voice)