Thread: Versions of OCD>

Forum Member

Versions of OCD>

Ive got version III, and I was listening to clips and its obviously the worse one. I liked version II the best, and version IV is supposed to be like version II. Version one is pretty close to II< but II is best I think.
    I'll be geting rid of my version III.

Re: Versions of OCD>

I have 2 of the Version 4's. Obviously, I recommend them! : D
    Time wounds all heels.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    version IV is supposed to be like version II. Version one is pretty close to II< but II is best I think.
    I'll be geting rid of my version III.
    Wow.

If you can hear the differences between different versions of the same pedal you have way better ears than I do.

Better yet, if you have time to chase around which version of the same pedal you bought vs. which pedal you want, you have way more free time than I do.

Yeah, you'd better get rid of that crappy version III pedal.

Forum Member

I don't know Jeru. I'm a self professed ( and self obsessed) "tone hound". That means that even if its a placebo effect which apparently sounds better, then thats the effect I'm going to want. I don't actually play much anymore, preferring to devote myself entirely to the pursuit of pure tone. Why actually play anyway, when there are more important matters at hand such as researching and trying for the ideal sound? It isnt the player that shapes the tone..its the tone that makes the player. The absolute tone is an ideal we must strive for at all costs; Case in Point- I recently had all my guitar cords shortened to 18" in length so as to
    minimize the path the electrons have to flow to reach their destination. Its very hard to play my guitar now with so short of a chord,and some times I actually have to reach around from behind the amp to play ( when i do play- to test the sound of gear) but its a sacrifice I am willing to make , and yep, you guessed it..for TONE!
    Last edited by jerryjg; 08-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post
    Wow.
    If you can hear the differences between different versions of the same pedal you have way better ears than I do.
    The versions are quite different. Version 4 is even on a different PCB.

Forum Member

Okay. Listen to these clips and give me your opinion please on which is best. This is what I based my decision to sell my OCD Version III and get a Version IV. After some further listening I'm not so sure. At first I thought version IV was the best.;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-zDdkkgJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPzxj5MJR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-zDdkkgJ4

Forum Member

I can't be bothered to listen to all that. All I can say is that I had a late version 3 and didn't like it that much! Maybe it just didn't live up to the hype. I have a slightly modified Rat clone that cost me a lot less to build and I like a lot better!

Theoretically, version 4 should be the best though, right?

As long as your taste is the same as Mike Fuller's!

Forum Member

I have seen comparisons by gearmandude on youtube and they really are different.

I have a Version IV. It is sort of like my Boogie Amp. Sounds great until I breathe on it. Then it sounds like my guitar is going through some sort of Casio keyboard.

It sounds best on Strats, then best on Gibsons. Then good on neither. Low gain, high gain. I don't know.

Forum Member

i sold my version 4 after a year..bought an m.i. audio blues pro and never looked back...i set it once and forget it..the ocd i was constantly tweeking it..
    "There are no bad notes, only bad resolution"...

Is it just me who finds these kinds of pedal discussions even funnier when the pedal's name is OCD?

Forum Member

what you should do is forget the ocd all together and get a catalinbread "dirty little secret" pedal. its the best overdrive pedal ive ever owned. and it sounds great with my silverface twin reverb and my tele or my les paul

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Givhan View Post
    what you should do is forget the ocd all together and get a catalinbread "dirty little secret" pedal. its the best overdrive pedal ive ever owned. and it sounds great with my silverface twin reverb and my tele or my les paul
    Sold my OCD and will be getting a Clark Gainster.

I've got an OCD. I'm not sure what version it is. It sounds fine. Nicely responsive to volume and nuance playing. Sometimes I'll just leave it on, and jerk with the guitar controls. I don't need to mess much with the controls on the box itself, which is switch up, dirt between 10 and 2, tone control around 2, and volume around 9:00, plus or minus.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Some of you guys make me sit here and chortle.
    I'm thinking of getting a Valvestate Marshall half-stack because it sounds just the way I think a Marshall should sound, so of course I'm not a tube snob - and people are discussing the sounds of 4 different circuit revisions of the same pedal...

I know that some of us are in pursuit of pure tone and are not weekend gig warriors, but for the most part, in a small club, I'm happy if I have a good clean sound, a good overdriven sound, and a nice fluid heavier overdriven lead sound. And that my vocals can be heard.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Some of you guys make me sit here and chortle.
    I'm thinking of getting a Valvestate Marshall half-stack because it sounds just the way I think a Marshall should sound, so of course I'm not a tube snob - and people are discussing the sounds of 4 different circuit revisions of the same pedal...

I know that some of us are in pursuit of pure tone and are not weekend gig warriors, but for the most part, in a small club, I'm happy if I have a good clean sound, a good overdriven sound, and a nice fluid heavier overdriven lead sound. And that my vocals can be heard.
    im not saying a valvestate sounds bad, but it does not sound like a marshall should imo. take it from me, i got my first tube amp a month ago and i use to say the same thing "tube amps dont sound that much better" well i was wrong, trust me dude either save up some extra cash for a new tube amp or get a used one, you will not be sorry.

Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Need a poormans OCD? The Danelectro Cool Cat CO-1 fits the bill! The brown truck just brought one to my door for $25 shipped ! I A/B'ed it with my buddy's ver. 4. And wholly Crap! It holds it's own. Of course The OCD is a better product ! But the CO-1 will hold the fort until I've got the cash for the Fulltone.

Thanks Ryan for the input...seriously though I got my first tube amp about 20 years ago. Been playing both tube and solid state at shows from tiny clubs to (in the 80's) some pretty big theatres, gymnasiums, and ballrooms. And the fact of the matter is - at least at the levels I like to play - you have to play in pretty large rooms to get even a 15-watt tube amp up into the grunt zone. My new modus operandi is to find an amp (or amps) that I like the sound of at a reasonable volume and then not rely on having to crank the amp. I always mic the amp if needed (in fact, it's my PA system too) and most importantly, I play with musicians who value their hearing. We almost NEVER have the PA above half - and if I can't hear my vocals, then everyone has to turn down. So, tube Marshall/solid state Marshall - they're all the same to me since I can't crank them. And the AVT50H with matching 4x12 cab sounds great at low volumes.

Sorry for the thread hijack - back to the OCD!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."