Thread: Check this out....

Check this out....

Don't know if It's ever been posted, but I stumbled across this while dickin' around on youtube, So Let me Introduce to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wXZ5-Yxuc

RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Re: Check this out....

Wow! Turn me on Deadman!

That is pretty cool. Shows you that a lot of music is a compilation of several simple parts. Of course the genius is in coming up with the several simple parts.
    I didn't become famous again today either!

thx
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    That is pretty cool. Shows you that a lot of music is a compilation of several simple parts. Of course the genius is in coming up with the several simple parts.
    So true Fedora, when I get home from work I'm gonna peruse Youtube again and see if I can find anymore vids for different tunes.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Awesome. Thanks for linking that!

When you have the genius of the Beatles + George Martin, a four-track recorder is all you need.

(Of course, they did regularly "bounce" the tracks, mixing four tracks down to one or two to free up two or three tracks for more recording. The liner notes for the Remaster of Sgt. Pepper say "Getting Better" was "bounced down" three times, and the final recording actually consisted of 10 separate tracks.)
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Studer 4 track--one hell of a machine for its time.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for linking that!

When you have the genius of the Beatles + George Martin, a four-track recorder is all you need.

(Of course, they did regularly "bounce" the tracks, mixing four tracks down to one or two to free up two or three tracks for more recording. The liner notes for the Remaster of Sgt. Pepper say "Getting Better" was "bounced down" three times, and the final recording actually consisted of 10 separate tracks.)
    ...MUST...GET... REMASTERS.... MUST...BUY...THEM ALL...AGAIN!!!! AHHHHHH! lol
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Studer 4 track--one hell of a machine for its time.
    I remember back when Fostex's most sophisticated portable multi-track recorder was one that recorded four tracks onto a standard cassette. Their ad in Guitar Player showed the cover of Sgt. Pepper and said "This album was recorded on a four-track machine." Or words to that effect. Great ad! (Must've been great, for me to remember it 20-plus years later. )
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

sad thing about today's production techniques is that they would have cut out those "clunkers" in the blue line. i love that you can hear the pick hit the strings between sections so it feels like a real band playing. i know i do it to keep time.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I hadn't thought about that chucko, but your right.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    sad thing about today's production techniques is that they would have cut out those "clunkers" in the blue line. i love that you can hear the pick hit the strings between sections so it feels like a real band playing. i know i do it to keep time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonefreefuzz1 View Post
    I hadn't thought about that chucko, but your right.
    I assumed that that was on purpose like the crowd noise/hiss on track four to make it 'fuller' and more...well, alive.

It certainly has that reault.

Great,thanks for posting!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by Bard2dbone View Post
    I assumed that that was on purpose like the crowd noise/hiss on track four to make it 'fuller' and more...well, alive.

It certainly has that reault.
    Hmmm perhaps so, didn't think of it that way. Cool Beans
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

maybe so, but on alot of older recordings if you really listen there's a bunch of "extra" stuff on it. i'm sure the lack of cleanliness drives some people crazy, but i personally enjoy when you here a little pedal squeak (like on some zep and ac/dc) or when you can hear the guitarist clunk (whatever you want to call it) a little on the string.

but then again, they way something is produced is ultimately up to the band and the producer. it's their artistic vision.

Every time I hear "Since I've been loving you", "Houses of the Holy" or "I Can't quit you baby" I hear the squeaky Ludwig Speed King AKA "The Squeak King" can't say that I mind it to much but every time I hear those tunes the squeak gets louder!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

"hey, someone go put that pedal outside next time it rains! i need more squeak!!!"

i hear ya man. i just love vinyl, amp hum (whithin reason) and all that fun stuff. no noise gates for me! but everything whithin reason.

take care buddy.

Yup! Rock and Roll Chucko!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    maybe so, but on alot of older recordings if you really listen there's a bunch of "extra" stuff on it. i'm sure the lack of cleanliness drives some people crazy, but i personally enjoy when you here a little pedal squeak (like on some zep and ac/dc) or when you can hear the guitarist clunk (whatever you want to call it) a little on the string.
    Definitely. What would the opening of "Back in Black" be without that clunk? Malcolm Young made it a part of the song! And when you hear those clunks, you know (or at least electric guitar players know) that amp is cranked and you're about to hear some righteous grind.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bard2dbone View Post
    Maybe, but I think the crowd noise was mainly there because the Beatles had decided they wanted the album to sound like a live performance by their alter egos, this fictitious Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Maybe, but I think the crowd noise was mainly there because the Beatles had decided they wanted the album to sound like a live performance by their alter egos, this fictitious Lonely Hearts Club Band.
    It's funny you mention that, some batty old jamoke who regularly comes into my shop came in saying he opened for the famous srgt peppers band... I said I thought the beatles stopped touring circa 66... he said "what? that wasn't the beatles.." I thought he was joking..then he went on to tell me how he helped Clapton write "Layla", helped zeppelin produce "Zeppelin II" and played the intro to "Little wing" for Jimi in the studio because as he said he "couldn't get the wah to sound right"... yeah... riiiiight....

It amazes me the loons that I meet on a regular basis!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Just think what a scoop you'd have if he was telling the truth!

Just think what a scoop you'd have if he was telling the truth!
    LOL
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

sounds like "kid guitar" from around my neck of the woods. he's been advertising to form a band where the other members are going to be big breasted chicks! i've gotta lift one of those and scan it, you guys are gonna loose it when you read it.

I remember talking to some geezer who ran the mom and pop shop who would talk about all them high falutin' rock stars who couldn't tune their instruments, and had people tune them backstage for them.

I asked him if he paid people to play music, or if he'd rather hear them tune.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks