Thread: Hammond (or close enough) on a guitar?

Hammond (or close enough) on a guitar?

First off...
    I know you can't exactly duplicate a Hammond with a guitar...
    (or maybe you can get real close with a synth, but I don't have one and am not planning on getting one)

Anyway,
    How can you get a "close enough" Hammond sound out of a guitar. I would like to incorporate a floating hammond (or any bluesy organ)sound in some of our songs.

I was thinking compressor>EQ>(tremolo or vibrato or whatever). I'm also not sure how you would EQ to get an organ sound. I'm not sure what the dominant frequency range might be. I do have tremolo and vibrato on my Kustom Coupe amp, I'm not sure if trem or Vib would be better.

I've been trying some things and just can't get close.

GMc
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Re: Hammond (or close enough) on a guitar?

Dunno if this gets you closer or farther away, but this guy gets a church organ-y sound at about 1:40 in the demo:

POG

I use a Hughes & Ketner Rotosphere in the loop of my amp. I put a clean boost in front of it if I want it to grind. You can run it in front of an amp if you don't mind a bit of hiss. It sounds even better through two amps in stereo.

I've been thinking that it might sound cool in the loop of my Mesa/Boogie with one output going back into the Boogie and the other output plugged into a Tech21 Power Engine.

Even then, it'll only emulate an organ if you use organ-like chord inversions. That's more important than the gear.

The POG sounds good, but the HOG sounds a little closer because it does 5ths and 3rds as well as octaves, in addition to other effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vhsy...4643C9&index=6

Wow! I wasn't even thinking beyond rotating speaker.

POG & Hog
    Of course. You can't get a Hammond sound without imatating the tone wheels and the draw bars. That kind of IS the sound of a hammond. Those demos were very interesting. Too bad those things are sooo expensive.

I'll have to look up how to do "organ-like" chord inversions. I've never heard of that before.

Great info guys. Once again, this forum is a wealth if info!

GMc
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

i used to use a "firstman" rotary speaker effect, and sometimes kick in a phaser or wah to really get radical. of course, a little dirt helps too. middle pup on a strat tone rolled down makes it a little more convincing.

as for the chords, usually doing stabs on the top three strings, and figuring out voicing where you're not jumping all over the neck is key. and like a keyboard player, you don't have to voice the root in the chord, let the other guy and the bassist handle that. in this way you get a "left hand/right hand" spread sound going. that's what makes keyboard instruments sound so unique, you can really cluster notes and then at the same time have the rest of the chord spread REALLY far out. some guitar players do it, but it's easier on keys.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

My Casio PG380 Synth Guitar!

Volume swells are a big part of it too. Get your pinky in shape.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I tried out the EH POG2 yesterday at Sound Source. It does such a convincing organ that I'm thinking about saving up for one. With minimal tweaking I was able to get the keyboard/organ sound from the beginning of "Blue Collar Man" to a "T".

Plus, as I saw on the web, I could set the thing up to make a really credible electric 12-string sound, so I wouldn't have to schlep around my electric XII when I only play it for 2 or 3 songs per night.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Hmmmm....I've had the POG2 on my short list of toys to buy for a while now and a ringing endorsement about its faux 'Hammond' tones such as yours ain't helping my GAS...

Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

It's really amazing. Really, really.

I still need to get in to the store and try it again with the manual open, so I can see how the 12-string sound works for me...now THERE would be a ringing endorsement...crank up the POG2 and play the Bells of Rhymney on a telecaster!

I have a pog, and with chorus or vibrato you can get a church-y organ sound -but not much else in the hammond spectrum. I use it in three ways; the one above, as an octave pedal, and for faux bass sounds. We've only done it once, but the bass player and I were trading licks and it was sick!! I'll have to try that again on Sat!!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

POG2 has a really good organ sound.

The MicroPOG does a decent pipe organ type of approximation, but it doesn't do anything that resembles a 12 string.

What it does do really well is a Les Paul double speed guitar thing. I like playing Mockin' Bird Hill with it.

As Frank mentioned, the bass thing is pretty cool. I play some looped stuff in the acoustic duo. I like to lay down a fast I-IV-V chord loop and play the bass parts to Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes in real time. The crowds love that.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

That sounds very cool Kap'n!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

The poor man's leslie has always been a phaser on top of amp tremolo - just gotta dial in the doppler effect on top of the chop.