Thread: When you play, do you feel like you're....

When you play, do you feel like you're....

What? I don't know how to put a title to this and have it make sense. Let me explain.

When I play, I feel like I'm the world's clunkiest guitarist. I feel awkward, like I'm not getting up and down the fretboard smoothly, fighting to be where I want to be when I need to. Like my hands are strapped into boxing gloves.

A few weeks a go a friend stopped by a show and brought his video camera (unbeknownst to the band). He shot about 10 tunes, and called me the other day to ask if I wanted to see it. Sure, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I went over to watch what I expected to be an essay on how not to play the guitar.

The first tune on the tape is our opening number, BB King's version of 'Let The Good Times Roll', in which I have the opening, 2 solos at different places, and the out. I'm watching this, and can't believe what I'm seeing. Is that ME ? My hands? They're so fluid, moving up and down the neck like a real guitarist. Much more speed than I ever imagined, I'm no speed picker, never have been, but, ok, how did I do that ? And that ?

This was a real eye-opener. It's the first time I've 'seen myself' play in many years. It was almost like an out-of-body experience, surreal, like I was watching someone else and thinking, man, I wish I could do that.

I'm not very confident when it comes to my playing, nowhere's near good enough to get big-headed about it, but that sure as hell was a morale booster. If that really was me, (and I have my doubts) I came farther than I ever thought I did. If you've never had someone video tape you candidly, try it.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Forum Member music-n-motorcycle's Avatar
    what you call "clunkyness", I call concentration. It seems like it just isn't getting there, but in reallity, it is a step above. At some point you won't have to concentrate as hard. when this happens, it is time to step out of the box and add new licks, theory and something to stir things up to your mix.
    4:20, my favorite time of day.

I only feel this way when I play with other people. When I play by myself, I'm a guitar GOD... well, in my mind anyway...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I too am a guitar god ,until i start to record it.

Even when i have recorded it i can always listen to the commodes at musicianshop.com and feel superior.......

More seriously,if you ever loose that slight feeling of inferiority, you'll never improve and imagine yourself a guitar god when you aint ..this is what seem to have happened to Yngwie.

If you think you're ok,the other players don't complain and one or two audience members complement you, you're doing ok.

Happy to anchor the rhythm ,most of the time.

Originally posted by music-n-motorcycle
    At some point you won't have to concentrate as hard. when this happens, it is time to step out of the box and add new licks, theory and something to stir things up to your mix.
    Dude, I been doin' this for 25 + years. I've obviously gotten better, I just don't feel like I've gotten better.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

When you play, do you feel like you're.... YES!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Forum Member music-n-motorcycle's Avatar
    Originally posted by telecast
    Dude, I been doin' this for 25 + years. I've obviously gotten better, I just don't feel like I've gotten better.

A good musician is humbled by the fact that he still has a lot to learn. You can never learn it all, but it sure is a blast trying.
    4:20, my favorite time of day.

Sometimes, usually, I feel held in the hands of a force beyond my comprehension.

Other times I feel like an apple in a blender...shredded.

When I play there is this voice in the back of my head telling me how sloppy my licks are, and how "off" my chords are...

I'm my own worst critic...

-Kevin
    (one guitarist)
    Last edited by Williams; 11-10-2003 at 10:51 PM.
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

I'm actually looking forward to my next recording. I haven't heard myself play on tape in about 10 years. I have made a huge effort to improve my playing over the past 3 years and know that some progress has been made. I'm looking forward to it.

I have also begun to notice that I'm more discriminating when I play with others. If the groove isn't happening or the volume is excessive, or 3 guitars are all fighting for the same sonic territory all at once, I find it difficult to play well. I thrive on good dynamics, thoughtful players and small groups. Thats when the magic happens for me. That's when it all gels and the conscious thought leaves the room.

When I think about improving my playing these days, I don't think so much in terms of how I rate compared to others. I look at it more in terms of, "am I able to make the expressions I want to make without settling for something less." I also try to look at it from the perspective of, "how do my parts blend with what everyone else is playing." "Am I filling my spot effectively without stepping on others." At this point in my life, my playing is more about being able to groove along with others than it is about how many chord inversions or ripping licking licks I know. I suppose that finding the balance between the two is where it's at for me.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

EVERYTHINGS 'FINE

JUST LOOK AT THE GUITAR EVERTIME YOU PIK IT UP AS A NEW OPEN MIND I BEEN DOIN THIS 30+YRS PIKIN ON IT I REALLY LOVE EXPEREMENTATION I LIKE TO CUT LOOSE GO ON THE EDGE OF IT

NOT SHOW OFF BUT MAKE SOMETHIN FUNDAMENTALLY CHALLENGING AND DIFFERENT

LIKE POLICE SONGS I LIKE EXCITMENT THA ON THE EDGE STUFF

SOMETIMES AS I PLAY A SOLO I GET A BRAIN FART TO TRY SOMETHIN DIFFERENT POSITION SAME SOLO BUT I'LL FINGER IT DIFFERENTLY OR MOVE MY MODES AROUND OR POSITIONS WHAT EVER THE TERMS WE USE

ITS A PERSONAL QUEST FOR MY SOLITUDE IN MY MIND WHEN I STRAP ON MY #1 STRAT BECAUSE TO ME THE SKY IS THE LIMIT

EVERY DAY IS A NEW LEARNING EXPERIENCE

NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING
    I AM OPEN MINDED EVEN TO ACCIDENTALS
    BECAUSE THEY CAN BE VERY BENEFICIAL IN LEARNING...
    HEY WHA WAS THA WHISTLER NOTE OR ARTIFICIAL OVERTONE ETC ...PLUS WE LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES BUT PLAYIN GUITAR IS A BLAST
    IF YOU PLAY STIFF LIKE A MACHINE TAKE A DEEP BREATH RELAX ITS KOOL TO UNWIND SIMPLE IS BETTER YOU CAN ALWAYS GO ANOTHER STEP AHEAD BUT ITS NOT GOOD TO BE BEHIND

LESS IS MORE I LIKE THIS APPROACH BIG TIME
    B.B KING IS THE KING OF THIS PHILOSOPHY
    HE CAN CUT HEADS WITH THE BEST YET RETAIN HIS COMPOSURE

THAS WHY MILES DAVIS GEORGE BENSON ALAN HOLDSWORTH VNGWIE MALMSTEEN BACH AND JAZZ FUSION LIKE YES OR JEFF BECK FIRE ME UP

I TRY TO RELAX MY MIND MY LEFT ARM UNWIND

AND I MELLOW OUT INSIDE AND FOCUS ON WHA IS APPROPRIATE FOR THE NEXT PART ETC I STAY FOCUSED BUT I LOVE TO GOOF AROUND ON GUITAR
    ITS FUN ITS A GOOD WAY TO UNWIND AND THAS WHA I LIKE SO IF IT MAKES ME HAPPY IT CANT BE THAT BAD

RIFFING OUT A MILLION MILES A HR IS APPROPRIATE WHEN ITS CALLED FOR BUT I SEE FIT TO SOMETIMES CUT LOOSE ON ODD INVERSIONS ETC I LOVE JAZZY STUFF ITS INSPIRING
    LENI STERN I LOVE
    GREAT STUFF REAL MIND OPENER DIXIE DREGS PROBABLY MY FAVORITE LIVE ACT UN REAL STUFF
    DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

CREATIVITY COMES FROM THE SOUL ITS IN ALL OF US

GOOD LUCK GANG
    BLUELOU
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS