Thread: Shapeing a Start headstock into a Tele headstock?

Forum Member

Shapeing a Start headstock into a Tele headstock?

Sorry for the typo, , I meant "Strat " headstock. Im interested in possibly trying to make my Strat headstock into a Tele shape. Can it be done, and if so, what does it entail? thanks.

Re: Shapeing a Start headstock into a Tele headstock?

really... why would you do that? Why not just buy a Tele neck and sell the Strat neck? Just my opine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    really... why would you do that? Why not just buy a Tele neck and sell the Strat neck? Just my opine.
    Cause once you find a good match, you shoudlnt mess with that. Ive learned that, a bit too late perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    The butt end of a tele neck is almost universally square, whereas the butt end of a strat neck is rounded. While it can be done, it makes for a sloppy fit. I believe Clapton had one back in the Blind Faith days (or maybe it was a tele with a strat neck... I don't recall at the moment).
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pseudocat View Post
    The butt end of a tele neck is almost universally square, whereas the butt end of a strat neck is rounded. While it can be done, it makes for a sloppy fit. I believe Clapton had one back in the Blind Faith days (or maybe it was a tele with a strat neck... I don't recall at the moment).
    Yeah, thats is a bit disconcerting. I am in the process of makeing a parts Tele with a Strat neck .

if you can't live with the strat headstock you'll need to take a saw to it. i've never cut one down but i'd imagine you'll need to trace the shape on the headstock, cut it out with a hacksaw or something like that, and then round over the back edge by the nut on the treble side. there should be enough meat there to do it. finish with some sandpaper and put some finish on her.

on a side not jerry, i've made strats with tele necks and vice versa. yeah there was a gap, but it didn't make much of a difference sound wise. if the gap or headstock shape bothers you though that's cool. the gap is pretty miniscule really.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

If you have a tele neck available somewhere, see if you can trace the head profile onto paper, then place it over the Strat head, using the tuning pegs as registration pins.

Just eyeballing it from the TFF logo above, the Tele neck has a bulge around the vicinity of the string tree that I think might extend beyond the dimension of the Strat neck. You could get close though and alter the profile slightly if you're not too fussy.

As far as sawing it - I would recommend a good band-saw with a fine-tooth blade or a jig saw, if you have access to either. It's the only way to ensure a nice square cut along the edge.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

I've got a tele neck hanging around here with no tuners on it right now. It'd be easy for me to trace. If you want, send me your snailmail address and I'll mail you a tracing.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry