Thread: A guitarnerd's plug for Duncan Antiquity Texas

A guitarnerd's plug for Duncan Antiquity Texas

I have a 59 Thin Skin Strat with a 62 Hot Rod neck. Lovely guitar that I mated. But the stock pickups in both models were lacking a bit. Not bad. Good actually, but just not capturing the tone of this strat.

I've always been a pickup nerd, so I have tried many of the single coils out there. I love the Van Zandt Blues in my numero uno. I like Fralins. I dig some of the Fender offerings.

But I decided to go with something I've never tried, Duncan Antiquities. Man, are they fantastic. Makes me wonder why they are not tried more often. Lovely cleans, focused when dirtied up. Not as polite as the Fralins, not as raunchy as the Van Zandts. Just a great pickup set with an overwound bridge.

Re: A guitarnerd's plug for Duncan Antiquity Texas

all the antiquities i've played i've been very impressed with. i haven't played them all, but mr. duncan winds a nice pickup. congrats.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

What's the specs on these? These are the standard Ant. not the "Surf" wind right.

A5?
    6.0k +/-

How hot is the bridge?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by New Orleans Poser View Post
    Duncan Antiquities. Man, are they fantastic. Makes me wonder why they are not tried more often.
    I wonder if it is because Duncan is perceived as "too big to be boutique". Too commercial. And a lot of folks get hung up on the boutique thing.
    When you think about it Seymour probably has THE most experience of all the aftermarket pickup makers. Just think of all the R&D he has done over the years. The Antiquities line is really his baby..and I bet they are darn fine pickups.

Forum Member

I've been eyeing those Antiquity surfers for a while. Anyone have any experience with those? From the description they sound like a very chimey pair of pickups, which is what I like in strats. A little pricey.

6.46, 6.49, 8.18--These are the Texas, not the surf wound. My set has the overwound bridge, but you can get one without. Not sure, but think Alnico 2.

Seymour defintely has my respect on this line. I like the buckers a lot too.
    Last edited by New Orleans Poser; 04-29-2009 at 09:11 PM.