Thread: Fender VG

Forum Member

Fender VG

Does anyone own one of these? I'm curious to know how they sound and play. I've seen the video of it, but I'd love to hear some first hand yeahs and nays

Re: Fender VG

Take a great American strat, then make it REALLY versatile. The other sounds in this thing are really amazing! Mops the floor with the Variax anyday.

Forum Member

I've played the Variax, couldn't get any pinch harmonics ala LaGrange from it, does this guitar respond like the real deal magnetic pickups?

Quote Originally Posted by 57Historic View Post
    I've played the Variax, couldn't get any pinch harmonics ala LaGrange from it, does this guitar respond like the real deal magnetic pickups?
    As far as I could tell, yes.

I picked one up last weekend at GC.

The batteries were dead, so I coudn't test the electronics.

The guitar itself wasn't too much to shout about with the magnetics. The neck was also much, much thinner than my 50th Ann Am Series, which I had always assumed to be a regular Am Series neck.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

more info please, thanks

I dont own one but I played two of them the sunburst one was great but then I played a black one and it was the pitts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DAVELECTRO View Post
    I dont own one but I played two of them the sunburst one was great but then I played a black one and it was the pitts

I'd kind of had GAS for one - but then I figured with anything electronic - there's always a more capable one right around the corner - more tunings, etc.. Very cool idea - I just wish they were upgradable!

Forum Member

I nearly tried one, but just in time thought 'what would life be like without GAS, if I had only one guitar that did everything?', at which point I ran from the shop.

Not in the least bit tempted by the VG, although I do like the Variax, partly I think because it is clearly a quirky thing and a fine playable novelty. But the VG is getting a bit to serious considering the implications ten years on for the rest of the Fender range. Fender can't stand still, but this could be one of those 'end of era/begining of era' moments.
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

I tried one the other day at a GC, quality was ok, not great, sound, ah, if it does not feel real good as a strat, the hell with the electronics, "it was just ok for me dawg" on the other hand a slightly beat up (GC imagine that) eric johnson was in the room, totally awesome, especially thru the hand wired marshall, great sounding amp, i would definitely go for the ej, but i already have 3 strats and i am really an archtop type.

peace

I'm mad...see below.........(double post....oops!! )

I think that the VG is GREAT.....BUT.....and I'm probably gonna get deleted or catch a lot of poop on this...but here goes.

On a $1700.00 guitar full of the "Latest" technology.....why would you go and put on those crappy 'Ping' tuners???!! I'll make it clear....I HATE PING TUNERS!!!!
    A better, more intelligent choice would have been the Fender/Schaller locking tuners!!
    I have 2 HWY 1 HSS's that came with 'ping' tuners and they bit!!
    I QUICKLY removed them and put in the aforementioned Fender/Schallers......MUCH BETTER!!
    Heck...Am.Dlx's costing hundreds less come with these STANDARD!!
    Whassup with that??!!

Tried one (with batteries) on Thursday through Fender 5E3 RI.

It sounded like a decent recording of the guitars. Not any real snarl or bite. Probably be an excellent choice for a wedding or top 40 band, or somebody who does a lot of rackmount equipment.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Ditto. Its fake. It sounds fake. Only the unmodeled mags sound excellent in my opinion. If you play through digital modelers or lots of effects you probably don't care and it would make you quite happy. Very convenient if you are not a tone junkie for all of the tunings. Personally I prefer one good tone, and as necessary, more guitars :)`

The modeled tones - missing highs, harmonics, pick articulation, etc - just can't be digitally simulated in my opinion. All of the negatives aside, its as good as anything else in that kind of digital modeling realm. To each his own. Its not my thing.

Kudos on the design however, there IS a market for it, just not with me.

Forum Member

I've owned one of the first out. Sunburst. You buy the VG for the versatility of the Roland p/u. You want great mag p/u sounds? Don't spend the money on the VG. They are there for the dead battery situation. BTW, about 5 hours for battery life.
    Now, once you buy the VG, dump the tuning machines. I used Sperzel locking tuners, had a Buzz F. nut put on and replaced the white dots with beautiful paua dots. Had a custom pickguard made in black pearl. Guy in Columbus, OH makes them. Email me if you need his address.
    I live this VG. It's does it all. And if harmonics are your thing, you're not playing loud enough. Remember, on stage the drums are the lead instrument.:)
    Last edited by acpiusa; 08-30-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Forum Member

BTW, I'm using flatwound strings. The Roland could care less.

Most important, when you buy the VG, get it set up by a pro. More problems are solved with a professional setup than any other. This goes for any new or used guitar.

Last edited by acpiusa; 08-30-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I gotta admit when the VG was first released I was intrigued (just as I was with the Variax when it debuted). But the wheels on the VG trolley fell off quickly -- at least for me -- when I considered the guitar's construction, short battery life, unconventional control lay-out, limited color choice, etc etc.

I'm a "vintage" guy an' I'm at my best playin' vintage (or vintage clone) gear. An' one cain't hepp but notice that there are no (repeat, NO) artist endorsements for this instrument that I'm aware of. Significant? I think so.

That said, I'll categorically paraphrase my assessment of the VG with some gin-you-whine '60s lexicon......

"None for me, thanks."

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I played one a few times. The acoustic twelve string mode (killer) almost makes it worthwhile to buy one, but the ordinary Strat sound is lacking.

Forum Member

And if harmonics are your thing, you're not playing loud enough.
    I don't get that.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Played a few and they seem nice. Was kinda jonesing for one for the OPEN G tuning flip of the switch thing. Don't find DADGAD tuning useful other than playing "Kashmir" but if I could program the thing to tunings I like than that would be very cool. 12 string sound was cool.

Forum Member

elicross, re: harmonics... if you're playing a normal bar gig, or open mike jam, the little things one hears playing quietly resulting from body wood, fretboard wood, hardware, etc.. things Paul Reed Smith eludes to when he talks his products... you're not going to hear anything thru the noise of the live music. So if you can hear the harmonics of what makes your guitar special, you're most likely playing in a noice controled situation... not on stage live.
    No trees were destroyed in this message, however a few electrons were diverted from their original path.

I don't own one, but I was really interested in buying one when I was out looking for my first guitar. I figured, "Hey, this thing does just about everything with one ax, I can't go wrong, right?"

I played it, along with the real deal versions of some of the guitars it's supposed to mimic side by side, and even my dumb untrained ears can tell that it's fake. It sounds good, but it does not sound like a real Tele, doesn't sound like a real humbucker (that was the biggest difference out of all of them, IMO). And humorously, the battery died on me on the example I was dinking around with at the local guitar store - that was kind of a turn off, granted this one probably stayed plugged in a lot which zapped the battery down in a hurry, but it's one more thing to think about.

If I found a used one locally, or on Craigslist or EBay, I'd probably pick it up, but otherwise it's just not for me. But above anything else, if it makes you smile, get it.
    "The body shape is perfect. The pickguard, perfect. Control layout, perfect. I wish I'd thought of it...the Strat is part of our heritage. Someone once said that Leo was in a state of grace when he designed the Stratocaster. I can't argue with that." - Paul Reed Smith

Forum Member

Not worth $1700 to a lot of folks here, How about $999 at Samash.com ?