Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MIA vs MIM, Whats all the hoopla????

Re: MIA vs MIM, Whats all the hoopla????

Maybe the best ones are MIB*

*Made in Basement

Quote Originally Posted by juniorspecial View Post

*Made in Basement
    Fellow member "Phantomman" has made some of the most beautiful guitars I have laid my eyes on. Roger, I'm still waitin' for that group shot of the herd!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by dzguitar10 View Post
    I take from the fellas observations regarding the Fender Mexico plant that when the QC and CS guys drop by they pick the "nicer" looking bodies and necks for their offerings. Does that mean that they are better sounding... obviously the answer is NO!
    Really? Looks were the main thing? Truth? Where'd you get this?

For necks, I guess it's possible to go for the more figured ones. But for bodies? What's the point of picking "nicer" Alder when it's covered in paint? I don't think it's simply a matter of looks. Furthermore, I've seem qtr sawn and rift sawn necks on MIAs and CS pieces, but MIMs have always been flatsawn. If the belief that qtrsawn is best for tone and rigidity, then wouldn't that hold true that the CS guys pick for me than just looks?

Plus, my own 57 Hot Rod is a 3 piece body, with a mismatched grain. But the inherent tone and build of this one guitar is seriously fantastic. I lucked out on this one. My wife got an experienced friend to choose it for me as it was a surprise, and he himself told me that was one of the most unusual strats he'd ever come across. Aethetically, I thought that EJ hanging on the wall in the store was nicer. But tone-wise? This 57HR was killer. I've not tried anything else nicer so far that's brand new... It's like this one guitar was grown from scratch for one purpose: to sing.

Hmmmm. So, a lot of you think about the same way I do (sort of). Find one you like, Play the crap outta it and make it you own (upgrades and such). If you got it, spend it (MIA). If you don't, there's MIM. Also, I've noticed that the Squier's seem to get better and better as time goes on. The 50's and 60's vibe Strat's seems to be a great way to get a good quality Strat at a fair price. I thinking of picking on of these up myself to go with my MIM ashwood.

Anyone else tried one of these????

I have a highway 1 tele w mim pu's and a mim precision bass,the only shortcomings I see are the sound of the pick ups,which lots of folks like mim I prefer vintage mia pick ups,my jazz king guitar friend has a mia jazz bass and a mim one,he states the neck on the mim needs more frequent adjustments,wood quality,anyways how far is corona ca from mexico.........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    +2
    +1 more.

I'm a parts-o-caster nut these days. I have one AS Strat that is stock except for a new style AS trem. All the rest are compilations of aftermarket and Fender parts, purchased on the internet. I often swap parts around between them just to see what works best. I used to say that I'd always buy American when it came to guitars but I went back on that and bought a Japanese Fender neck and body recently and found them to be of equal or better quality to the MIA.

I really like the MIM pickups on my 2005. I've had Strats with MIAs, Lace Sensors, Texas Specials, and Vintage RIs, but I get closest with the MIM pups to my ideal of the Strat sound.

Having said that, the quality of the MIM pickups must be hit or miss because a lot of people replace them.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Phantomman presents an argument that is hard to dispute. I have a partsocaster and it can match the custom shop guitars my friends play. I get a lot of positive feedback on my tone and I mainly use a self built strat.

Mmmm...MIM Parts-o-Fenders...

Here's my Parts-o-Strat:

Here's my latest, a Parts-o-Tele:

It's almost like being your own custom shop! Mine are all MIM wood.

+1 on PhantomMan's herd phtot requests. C'mon, Roger!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Yeah lets see them!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by juniorspecial View Post

*Made in Basement
    Nope.

"MBM"

(made by myseff)

(I ain' got no cellar)

I didn't know you'd made that Strat too, TJ......turned out right fine IMO. An' it was my pleasure to "god-father" yer new Tele into the world. I can smell the vibe on that gitt!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

An' it was my pleasure to "god-father" yer new Tele into the world. I can smell the vibe on that gitt!
    Wouldn't have quite had the extra somethin' without your pointers!

But quit stalling! Get yer herd rustled up for some phtots!

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

So I think it's safe to say at this point that it's not really "all the hoopla" but more "the hubbub" where MIA vs MIM is concerned.

I have an 80's MIJ Standard Strat & a 2007 USA Artist series Strat. The USA model is definitely better finished (and it's nitro lacquer) but the MIJ has a more playable (to me) neck. Unless I had identical pickups in both guitars I wouldn't want to pass an opinion on which sounded best.
    I do know my MIJ with ceramic p/ups sounds better than my brother's MIM with ceramic p/ups.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

I bought a MIA Tele a few years ago because I loved the look of it, and it sounded OK, but, frankly, it never sounded quite "right" to me. I was thinking about new pickups, or maybe even selling it when a friend did a thorough setup on it, coupled with getting a DRRI instead of the sucky Marshall I owned. It was like a totally new guitar.

I also got a MIM Strat - both are natural ash. The USA model has two piece and the Strat has 5 - but after a similar setup (and a set of Custom Shop '69 pickups in the strat) it sounds just as good. I can't say one is better sounding than the other, but there was as definite difference in fit and finish. Ultimately the setup made the most difference, but I can definitely see better craftsmanship in the MIA.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dzguitar10 View Post
    3) Aside from the wood they are made from the only other difference are the pickups, tuners and the bridges.
    Let me get this straight....

The wood, which is one of the most important parts, is better on USA stuff. The tuners, which keep your guitar in tune, are better on the the USA stuff. The bridge, which intonates your guitar and helps transfer the sting vibration for best sustain, is better on the USA stuff.

You did not mention the pups which are also better on the USA stuff.

I don't get it!

I have a 20year old '57 American Vintage Reissue that I will put up against almost any Strat old or new. The only thing I changesd was I put Jumbo frets on it. I have had many players come up to me and say my guitar sounds like a real Strat. That's because it is. 2 piece body and tuners, bridge, and pups are all better than any MIJ or MIM plank I have ever played.
    In fact the only guitar I have ever played that sounded better was a beautiful L Series. That was made in USA too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    Phantomman presents an argument that is hard to dispute. I have a partsocaster and it can match the custom shop guitars my friends play. I get a lot of positive feedback on my tone and I mainly use a self built strat.
    Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Mmmm...MIM Parts-o-Fenders...

Here's my Parts-o-Strat:

Here's my latest, a Parts-o-Tele:

It's almost like being your own custom shop! Mine are all MIM wood.

+1 on PhantomMan's herd phtot requests. C'mon, Roger!
    That neck has a seperate maple fretboard because of the headstock accessable truss rod. I have to think a solid one piece maple neck with a skunk stripe is better.
    Wait a minute!!!!! you are showing two different necks. One with a skunk stripe and one that is highly figured.
    Are you trying to pull the wool over my eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue57 View Post
    That neck has a seperate maple fretboard because of the headstock accessable truss rod. I have to think a solid one piece maple neck with a skunk stripe is better.

Wait a minute!!!!! you are showing two different necks. One with a skunk stripe and one that is highly figured.
    Are you trying to pull the wool over my eyes?
    Nope. That's a factory MIM neck. It's a one-piece with skunk stripe and real flames...not photoflame. I should try and get better pics of it soon.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Nope. That's a factory MIM neck. It's a one-piece with skunk stripe and real flames...not photoflame. I should try and get better pics of it soon.
    Dude you show two different necks! One with a skunk stripe and one without.

You take me for a fool.

I assure you, it's my one and only Strat. All of my Fenders have skunk stripe necks.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

He speaks the truth. Look close at the pic of the back of the flame neck, at the very bottom of the visible portion of the neck. You can see it best at the second fret where you can see where the stripe begins. (It's easy to miss unless you're looking for it).

Ahh...I can see how, in that pic, the stripe can be mistaken for a shadow.

As I said, better pics are in order. That's an old pic.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I assure you, it's my one and only Strat. All of my Fenders have skunk stripe necks.
    So what is the pic with the figured neck and no skunk stripe?

How do you reconcile that with the pic of the skunk stripe neck?

You insult my intelligence.

Forum Member

Ahh...I can see how, in that pic, the strips can be mistaken for a shadow.

As I said, better pics are in order. That's an old pic.
    Bull!!!

You busted!

How stupid do you think people are?

Your full of it.

Forum Member

Oh OK I feel the fool. I see what you are saying.

My sincere apologies.

Damn I feel stupid.

Forum Member

I am sorry again but I can not reconcile a skunk neck with a headsock acessable truss rod.

WTF??

Why go through the trouble of making a neck where the truss rod is installed from the back only to have it adjustable from the headstock.

This does not make sense to me.

All my skunk necks have the headstock accessible truss rod. This neck isn't anything special other than the flame...it's a 2004-ish Deluxe Players neck.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Oh OK I feel the fool. I see what you are saying.

My sincere apologies.

Damn I feel stupid.
    Blue57 - I tried to get your back!

Forum Member

All my skunk necks have the headstock accessible truss rod. This neck isn't anything special other than the flame...it's a 2004-ish Deluxe Players neck.
    Damn that is so friggin' weird!

The early maple necks had the skunk stripe because that was how they installed the truss rod in a maple neck. The rosewood boards had a seperate finger board so the truss rod was installed from the top hence no need for the skunk.

You have no idea how this rocks my perception!!!

I think I need some sleep.

Forum Member

well..this is a Yamaha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcLQEh4xUvQ .EG 112C ...which got given to me.id been playing a 1993 re squier fender MIM...well that was so cool and it stayed in tune way good...but this Strat im playing here is pretty unreal..ok im a poor player..gig 3 or 4 times each week..kind of a art/novelty show...i do ALL my own songs..somebody's got to do it
    lol...well this guitar is $100 bucks on ebay...im not good enuff to own an
    american made Fender guys..and i may never get a Deluxe reverb..but..what thec...somebodies got to Rock and Roll!!!right?

Damn that is so friggin' weird!

The early maple necks had the skunk stripe because that was how they installed the truss rod in a maple neck. The rosewood boards had a seperate finger board so the truss rod was installed from the top hence no need for the skunk.

You have no idea how this rocks my perception!!!

I think I need some sleep.
    The "Deluxe Player's Strat" necks are all configured thus: skunk stripe, headstock trussrod adjust, 9½" radius, medium jumbo frets. I have a rosewood version of one of these necks on a Jeff Beck clone I built.

Don' ask me why Fender put a skunk stripe on 'em -- for cosmetic "vibe" I reckon. They's really no structural reason for it.

HTH

Forum Member

The "Deluxe Player's Strat" necks are all configured thus: skunk stripe, headstock trussrod adjust, 9½" radius, medium jumbo frets. I have a rosewood version of one of these necks on a Jeff Beck clone I built.

Don' ask me why Fender put a skunk stripe on 'em -- for cosmetic "vibe" I reckon. They's really no structural reason for it.

HTH
    Does the neck have a seperate maple fretboard or is it one piece.

Forum Member

The "Deluxe Player's Strat" necks are all configured thus: skunk stripe, headstock trussrod adjust, 9½" radius, medium jumbo frets.
    Except mine, which has a 12" radius.

Did the Deluxe Player used to have a 9 1/2" radius?

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Except mine, which has a 12" radius.

Did the Deluxe Player used to have a 9 1/2" radius?
    Apparently so, Eli......OR (more likely) FMIC offers both. My neck has a serial that dates to 2007. An' IIRC most of the early Frontlines published a 9.5 spec. As well, I played a new ash 3TSB Deluxe Players Model at the GC in Phoenix back in January that was definitely a 9.5 radius.

But you've got a 12. An' I know of many others who also do.

Does the neck have a seperate maple fretboard or is it one piece.
    As I said before, they are one-piece maple.

Read on them here.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Apparently so, Eli......OR (more likely) FMIC offers both. My neck has a serial that dates to 2007. An' IIRC most of the early Frontlines published a 9.5 spec. As well, I played a new ash 3TSB Deluxe Players Model at the GC in Phoenix back in January that was definitely a 9.5 radius.

But you've got a 12. An' I know of many others who also do.
    Yeah, I'd have no trouble believing the Fender literature got it wrong, but I've got a Squier that's 9.5", and the Deluxe is definitely flatter. It's not a radical difference, but it's there.

Makes me wonder if they've sold some Deluxe Players' with 9.5" fretboards to people who thought they were getting 12" boards.

I envy TJ the MIM neck on his partsocaster. Love that flame.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Makes me wonder if they've sold some Deluxe Players' with 9.5" fretboards to people who thought they were getting 12" boards.
    Beats me, but I'm glad mine's a 9.5......I really don' git along very well on a super-flat board.

Forum Member

As I said before, they are one-piece maple.

Read on them here.
    Your link describes a rosewood neck which is obviously a seperate fretboard.

I will do some diggin for a one piece maple neck with no seperate fretboard and both a skunk stripe and a headstock accessable truss rod.

I am freaked out!

OK show me a site on the internet that shows a one piece maple neck with a skunk stripe that has it's truss rod adjustment at the headstock.

There are many Strats with a maple fret board on a maple neck but that is not what we are talking here.

I will eat crow but you have to show me. I can't find one example
    Last edited by Blue57; 04-04-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Forum Member

IMHO - the American Fenders are far superior to the Mexican and Japanese stuff.

Okay, so I ponied up for a used MIM Strat. At $250, I felt I couldn't lose. This particular one has two single coils and a humbucker in it, and it looks brand new to me. The serial number indicates that it is a 2008 model.

Now let's say I wanted to upgrade the electronics as so many do. Looking at a few sites I see that I can get a genuine Fender American Standard pre-wired pickguard with all the electronics. I guess that would mean I would have the same electronics as if I had bought an American Standard. What is the typical upgrade that people do? I'm looking for a Strat sound, so I can ditch the humbucker (that's what the LP is for.) What seems to be the popular upgrade that still ends up giving you a Strat? After all, that is why I bought this guitar.

Likewise, are the tremolo and tuners the same on the MIM and the MIA guitars? There were some really nice tremolos available, some with some rather dear prices (far more than I paid for the guitar.) I also saw some Schallers that were listed as the American Standard tuners with the Fender name on them. I just hate to spend money needlessly, though the parts were not all that expensive. Shoot, they even had an American Standard neck with a maple fretboard (mine is rosewood) if I was so inclined.

I'm just looking to see what upgrades are worth the money and which are better to pass on. I want a guitar that stays in tune well - not to mention sounds and plays great - so any parts that are going to help with that I'll be willing to consider. This one seems to have an issue with going out of tune easily, but I haven't had it long enough to determine the culprit there. Plus, I'm used to a guitar with a stop tail rather than a tremolo, except for the PRS I had for a short time until someone relieved me of it, so I might have a learning curve I need to get through.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As for what the original post was about, I thought the American Standard Strats (and the Eric Clapton "Blackie" model) that I tried out were superior instruments to the Mexican made ones that I played, but I dont' have enough time with them to make a real call on that. Time will tell with the Strat I currently have.

David
    '12 Am. Dlx Strat, 08 MIM Strat (modified), '11 Am. Dlx Tele, '09 PRS McCarty
    Phaez MLP-35, Fender Blues Jr., Vox NT, Blackstar HT-5
    Mesa TA-15, Rectifier Vertical 2X12
    Marshall JTM-1H, JMP-1H, JCM-1H