Thread: Bare knuckles ?

Bare knuckles ?

Has anyone tried the Bare knuckle (UK) "Apache" or "Sultans" strat single coil p/up sets. I've a MIJ strat with ceramic p/ups (that I quite like for the right tune) and a US Artist series with Texas Specials (alnico 5s). I'd be interested to hear the main differences of alnico 3 & alnico 2 p/ups compared to the alnico 5s. I'm thinking of switching the ceramics in my MIJ for a more vintage sounding set and although I've read about DiMarzios & Fralins etc I haven't seen any reports on the Bare Knuckles.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Re: Bare knuckles ?

never played any bare knuckles, but here's the breakdown:

A5: bright, snappy, punchy.

A3: bright (in a way different from A5), sweet, somewhat compressed.

A2: still somewhat bright, smooth, compressed.

depending on what amp you play and the music you play, you may or may not like the A3 or A2 pups. i think you should give them a shot and see what you hear. my main 3 fenders have A3 mags, and my sg has an A2 in the bridge.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks Chuck

I'm assuming that the "Apaches"(A3) are more Hank Marvin & the "Sultans"(A2) are more Knopfler. (in my head that makes the A3s really "clean" and the A2s more compressed) Aargh - Indecision !

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

the 2's and 3's both have some nice compression, but i think you've got it. i think we're at the point where once person would call it pink, and the other would say it's salmon.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I'll get the fiesta red ones then ! LOL