Thread: Tex-Tones

Tex-Tones

Just got done putting an SSS set of Tex-Tones in my strat. Anyone else ever played them? They sound fantastic! Great response. See them at tex-tonepickups.com!!

Re: Tex-Tones

Hey, they're just on the other side of D/FW from me.

I was about to say something about he use of 'Tex' or 'Texas' in the brand name, but since they're here in the Lone Star State, I'll let it slide.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Haha Yeah! He's south of dallas. Great pickups. You should give them a try....pretty affordable. Main Place Music is where I got them...great local store that will ship.

They do look interesting... But one comment puzzles me:
    "With today's high gain amps and effects, it is unnecessary to wind a pickup ridiculously hot."
    This is an odd thing to say. "Ridiculously hot" wound pups have their place in the guitar world. When you want compression from your pickups and to focus the tones of your guitar, these come in handy. Very much one trick ponys to me, but a few of my fav guitarists use them, and I've got no complaints about their tone. But to say that it's unnecessary to produce a pup like this is a bit of a sweeping statement to me, don't you think?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I think the key word there is "ridiculously", DB.

Fralin's most popular Strat set is the "Vintage Hot", which are slightly overwound. An' nobody has an unkind word to say about them. I think the reference that Tex Tones alludes to are some of the really overwound pickups (measuring in excess of 7k-8k). Sure, they'll push an amp into the "groan zone" a helluva lot quicker. But the price for that luxury is usually the squawk, honk, an' chime that most Strat players enjoy.

Jus' mah 'pinion, y'unnerstan'......

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quite a few years ago I swapped out the pickups in my Fernandes Revival "lawsuit" Strat with Duncan SSL-1 pickups for the neck & middle and a Duncan SSL-5 for the bridge. I knew that the coil in the SSL-5 was overwound, but only recently I checked the spec on it and the nominal DC resistance is a whopping 12.9k. That seems to be "ridiculously hot" to me and I never thought it sounded all that great anyway. I'm gonna yank that p'uppy out and replace it with something more moderate.