Thread: Am Std Strat

Forum Member

Am Std Strat

Asked Fender for output of stock pups on my Am Std Strat. They gave me; Bridge 7.4, Middle 5.9, Kneck 5.9. Would I notice a big difference if I changed to Texas Specials (7.1, 6.5, 6.2) or Tonerider (6.4,6.1,5.7). Got a Line 6 and am building a valve amp at the moment. Thanks.

Re: Am Std Strat

In a word yes will you like the change I dunno.. All you can do is try em and see BTW I think Texas Specials sound like ass...What kinda sound you looing for?

I would go for the Fralins vintage hots or the blues special both with the base plate on the bridge pickup. IMO

Forum Member

Thanks v nuch for replies. Looking for a Knopfler type tone. I know a lot of tone is in the fingers but I think he uses Tex Specs. Anyone got any experience of Tonerider or GFS?????

I would be extremely surprised if Knopfler used Texas Specials.

He's got a nice bright, tone. Texas Specials are dull, dull, dull.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I have the 60 repro's in my strat like them a lot I don't think you can go wrong with the GFS pups..

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I would be extremely surprised if Knopfler used Texas Specials.

He's got a nice bright, tone. Texas Specials are dull, dull, dull.
    Wrong I'm afraid - His signature Strat is fitted with Texas specials (and he uses 2 of those guitars live) His Keyboard player Guy Fletcher has confirmed that they are still fitted with the original pickups.
    They take a bit of getting used to as the raised pole piece for a wound G overpowers the B string with it's low pole piece, but you CAN get the Knopfler tone.

edit: if you are in the UK and want to spend the money on boutique pickups try the Bare Knuckle "Sultans" set - (I wonder who they are based on?)
    http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
    Last edited by Direstraits; 02-26-2009 at 12:44 PM.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

I stand by the statement that Texas Specials are dull sounding.

MK also used Les Pauls and Pensa-Suhrs with active pickups. Neither of them will sound like Sultans of Swing.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

when he started Direstraits didn't he use a DiMarzio fs-1 in the neck ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I stand by the statement that Texas Specials are dull sounding.

MK also used Les Pauls and Pensa-Suhrs with active pickups. Neither of them will sound like Sultans of Swing.
    During the Dire Straits days MK used a variety of (mainly) Strat & Tele guitars, including some made by Schecter in which he used a variety of pickups. He started using Gibson LPs for some overdriven sounds in the Brothers in Arms era ( Brothers in Arms/Money for nothing ) and then used his Pensa-Suhr MK1 (EMG active pickups) as his main guitar (first seen at the Nelson Mandela Concert) until Dire Straits was disbanded and also on his first solo album. Since then he has been using a greater variety of guitars including (& still using on tour) '58 & '59 Les Pauls, a '50's Strat, his Schecter Tele, a single coil equipped Pensa and 2 Fender MK signature Strats one of which is used for Sultans of Swing (& Telegraph Road on the 2005 tour). The other has an operational Tremolo & is used for songs requiring gentle whammy action. From what I've read he specified the Texas Specials on his signature Strat.

Texas Specials need to be set quite low to get the best out of them. I don't find them dull but that's just my experience, on my equipment.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Forum Member

Thanks again for replies. Does a change in pickup mean a change in pots?? Thanks.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by a1terrier View Post
    Thanks again for replies. Does a change in pickup mean a change in pots?? Thanks.
    Only if'n you intend to switch to somethin' like the Vintage Noiseless or humbuckers.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."