Thread: Van Halen Start Done Tonight

Forum Member

Van Halen Start Done Tonight

Ive had "Runnin with the Devil " stuck in my head for a couple of weeks now.Imagine me walking around going "da da..da da da da da da ..Runnin with the devil!" for two weeks! So I've had this project going for like, ever, and just decided to work with what I have and get something completed , at least on a provisional basis. I've had the US Cutom Guitars 1 piece Northern Hard Ash Body for awhile, which is supposedly ( hard Ash) what Edward Van Halen used on VH-1. I bought the Mighty Mite maple neck cheap ( both the neck and the price) recently , and I've had the Seymour Duncan '78 EVH pickup for along time sitting around for the purpose of this kind of project.
    So I got it easily wired together and and after a long while I got it decently set up and let me tell you this- it does nail "Runnin with the Devil"tone pretty darn well even on a little practice amp. I don't know how much of it is the wood,or the pickup , but it definitly gets much much closer to the sound than any other guitar I have.
    Now, that said, I don't know how many times I can play "Runnin'" or "Pretty woman" before i get bored, as its really not my tone of choice. I may end up letting it go, but its nice to accomplish an objective.
    I got the tone on both a practice amp and a Crate tube amp by putting the mids and highs at about 2'o'clock and turning up the bass on one amp and truning down the bass on the little amp down , so i don't know. It would appear that Northern Ash may be a good basis for the sound, as well as Duncans take on the '78 sound of VH-1 with the "78 "evenly voiced harmonics" pickup. I know what youre probably thinking- theres no tremolo!! Yeah, my plan was, or is, to find someone to route the body for a 6 point if I decide to keep it. I think ta big part may be the brass on the bridge anyhow..as that was also supposedly a part of the carecter of the Brown Sound. Anyway..Heres the guitar;

[IMG]

[/IMG]res the guitar;

Re: Van Halen Start Done Tonight

Looks fun!

It needs a Floyd, though.

I really dig this guitar! Plug in and rock HARD!!!

It has that Charvel single hum mojo to it.
    Plug into a JCM 900 and go to town!

Nice guitar. Super simple, straight up rock.

FYI "Running With The Devil" on VH1 was done with an Ibanez Destroyer.
    Sen wood body and maple neck.

Looks great,I bet it sings.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

cool looks like a real rocker!

Nice looking fret board!
    System III Stratocaster
    2 single coil and 1 humbucker pickups, 5 position selector switch, coil splitter, 1 volume 1 tbx, system III tremolo, rosewood fingerboard, 25.5" scale length, side mounted output jack. MIM Tele,Strat Clone & Tele Clone projects

simplistically cool... turn it up!