Thread: Tele pics needed!!!!

Tele pics needed!!!!

Guys, I'm building (or having built) a partsocaster Tele. I've got a 5a flame maple neck picked out, and would like to see pics of various maple necked teles to get an idea what I should go for in colours. I'm going for a matte finish (non-reliced), and the body will have double binding. So I'm thinking of a sunburst (is there anything like a 2 tone for teles?)

I'm also mainly a strat guy, so I don't know what to do for pickup selections. Any suggestions? SS? or HS?

Please?

Re: Tele pics needed!!!!

I'd go black on the body...
    I'd also only ever use a 'bucker in the neck on a Tele.

Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    I'd go black on the body...
    I'd also only ever use a 'bucker in the neck on a Tele.

Tommy.
    Well, considering it's an Ash body, I thought of shouwing some grain thru the sunburst. But black is nice too!

So, humbucker in the neck is nice?

Csapo...you own a guitar shop....right?
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by Frat Rettle View Post
    Csapo...you own a guitar shop....right?
    I'm just a workin' guy that loves Teles (and I don't work in the music industry)...

Easy to love them..mine's a 20 year old Fernandes.

Cheers and beers.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Fiesta red is nice with both Maple and Rosewood! And blonde is always an alternative.

My Baja twisted broadcaster SC neck pup (i think they call it that) is actually one of a few that sound good in neck position on a tele.

Try this link......you can create your own virtual guitar. It is helpful.

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/virtualguitar.html
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Thanks guys. Somehow the virtual simulator doesn't show the sheen of the finishes like a real photo, which is what I wanted to see. And considering the body will have binding, I'm thinking blonde might not be as nice? (never really liked the blonde look anyway... Except on women. heh.)

Don´t know if you have seen the Tele in this thread. Anyway, i just recall that when i saw it i amediately thinkin, that´s a finish i want on a Tele!

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41138

Not matte finish but real nice! Rock on

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

4-way is the only way on a Tele IMO; gives you Tele bridge, Tele or Strat neck and tweener, and then bucker in series. Plus it looks trad.

That cherry burst isn't half bad. But I'm thinking of a darker colour... Either sunburst, tobacco burst, or black... All matte. Heh.

Gris: 4way? explain please? bucker in series? What if I'm going for HS?

Here's one that I'm working on that will have a maple neck:

D'OH! Couldn't wait to post it (just got the body today)! Still have to score the neck and tuners.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!! If that one had binding, it'll be awesome!!!! Sweet! What's in that humbucker slot?

I'm going to go take pics of my flamed neck and show... It's GORGEOUS!!!!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    That cherry burst isn't half bad. But I'm thinking of a darker colour... Either sunburst, tobacco burst, or black... All matte. Heh.

Gris: 4way? explain please? bucker in series? What if I'm going for HS?
    4-way switch instead of the traditional 3-way. So, instead of bridge, neck, bridge and neck in parallel (the 'tweener' cluck sound); you have all those plus bridge and neck in series (both PUs together in humbucker mode). You have everything a traditional Tele offers, plus a humbucker. You don't lose the neck or true tweener sound.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!! If that one had binding, it'll be awesome!!!! Sweet! What's in that humbucker slot?
    Man, I am stoked about this one. It's got a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90 in the neck slot (Thanks to Jim in Texas - JMI Music - TFF'er extraordinaire). That's a P90 in a standard 'bucker case.

The bridge is a '50s Tele Bridge (Fender Pat. Pend.) I got from Angela Instruments. Looking to get a GFS Vintage Alnico 62 Boutique for the bridge.

I already have it wired 50s style with 500K pots and a .022uF (Sprague OD 225P) cap. Not sure how that will roll yet. As I said, just need the neck and tuners...looking for a '69 Thinline RI neck now.

Thanks to Phantomman for his advice to go with an 'F' Neck Plate to keep the '60s vibe goin'

It's all MIM wood. Scored the body for an amazing deal on the 'Bay. CHA-CHING!!!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

My upcoming Tele project neck...

Damn... I can't wait!!!!

That is some killer flame!

Neck looks thick, too. Are you decided on the body color?

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    4-way is the only way on a Tele IMO; gives you Tele bridge, Tele or Strat neck and tweener, and then bucker in series. Plus it looks trad.
    I'm ripping the 4-way out of my Baja. It's a pain in the ass to try to play the neck position - I always hit it to the paralel or series position. I never use the series position anyway. I'm just going to swap out the whole tounge depressor, since I'm not big on the S-1 either.

Nice looking neck!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I don't know how helpfull these are since they're shot indoors with a crappy camera, but here's my '69:

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Heritage, do you have a shot of the headstock? This year is actually what my parts-o-Tele is inspired by.

I assume yours has the 'F' neckplate?

Nice!

-Edmund Burke

Heritage, do you have a shot of the headstock? This year is actually what my parts-o-Tele is inspired by.

I assume yours has the 'F' neckplate?

Nice!
    Thanks. Here's the headstock:

And a nudie shot for the heck of it (the reds are way overstated because of the camera, but you can see how much she's faded over the years):

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

And thanks again! That's confirms my ideas.

-Edmund Burke

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!! If that one had binding, it'll be awesome!!!!
    First of all -- holy double-crap Heritage 80, that's just beautiful. Really, in my view, the best look for a tele.

I was going to resist posting this pic again Demio, but maybe this is the type of look you're going for? (just add maple neck) At left in the picture -- CIJ '62 reissue, I added the humbucker. My favorite electric guitar.

NOTE -- Gris' suggestion is a good one. I had the 4-way wired up in my #1, above, and kinda sometimes wish I'd kept it that way..

JR

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post
    I was going to resist posting this pic again Demio, but maybe this is the type of look you're going for? (just add maple neck) At left in the picture -- CIJ '62 reissue, I added the humbucker. My favorite electric guitar.
    Holy moley, that's sweet! Very Andy Summers of you! Was the CIJ body routed for the 'bucker, or did you do the routing?

-Edmund Burke

That is some killer flame!

Neck looks thick, too. Are you decided on the body color?
    The neck isn't thick. It's 24mm at the 1st fret... that's... ok... Hahahaha... not far off from what I'm looking for. But that neck is an assymentrical profile. More humped on one side, and more sloped on the other, giving it an interesting off centered soft-V feel.

I'm thinking of going with gold hardware for sure, but either a trans black matte finish (which sinks into the grain), or a full black smooth matte finish or a matte sunburst/tobacco burst finish. Mainly a darker colour. Not a fan of brighter colours, unless we're talking about white. Heh.

Was thinking of this look too:

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post
    That's very close to what I'm after. But when you added the humbucker, what pots did you use? 250k? or 500k?

I think 4 way sounds good to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage 80 View Post
    I don't know how helpfull these are since they're shot indoors with a crappy camera, but here's my '69:

Totally helpful! Thanks! That aged binding is really sweet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    4-way switch instead of the traditional 3-way. So, instead of bridge, neck, bridge and neck in parallel (the 'tweener' cluck sound); you have all those plus bridge and neck in series (both PUs together in humbucker mode). You have everything a traditional Tele offers, plus a humbucker. You don't lose the neck or true tweener sound.
    Meaning I don't use a humbucker in the neck?

Meaning I don't use a humbucker in the neck?
    Yup.

That's very close to what I'm after. But when you added the humbucker, what pots did you use? 250k? or 500k? I think 4 way sounds good to me...
    When I added the bucker, I routed the body but kept the 250k pots. I'll go with Gris, the 4-way is a good thing to try because a little soldering aside, you don't need to do anything to your guitar's bits and pieces -- no routing of the body and no surgery to your pickguard..

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I'm ripping the 4-way out of my Baja. It's a pain in the ass to try to play the neck position - I always hit it to the paralel or series position.
    ...Addressing Kapn's point, there was a diagram posted a while back that I saved, a how-to for wiring up a 4 way switch so that the neck and bridge positions were on the outside positions of the switch. Here goes:

American deluxe ash body

Nashville tele

Oh the tone