Thread: An old Mosrite "FuzzRite" stompbox

An old Mosrite "FuzzRite" stompbox

I am curious about whether anyone knows anything about the history or technology of this old 'stomp-box.' We use to call it a 'fuzz-box' in the 1960's.

It's an old FuzzRite box by Mosrite. It's the first special effect I ever owned. Currently, it does not work, but I reckon it could be fixed.

What do y'all know or think about this device?

Thanks for your comments.

Re: An old Mosrite "FuzzRite" stompbox

Fairly collectible. I'd get it restored by one of the more reputable pedal folks. I believe it's the fuzz used on all the Dave Allan and The Arrows biker soundtracks, the Stooges records, and Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

According to the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida album cover - Eric Brann, the Butterfly's gutarist, was only 16 years old when they recorded the album. He had some good licks in that tune.
    The 5er Driver

Now Annoying In
    ((((((Stereo))))))

Plug that beotch in an' let her rip!

Just as a clarification, Eric's name was Braun. It was a typo on some album covers.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Nice! Get that repaired by someone who will retain as many as the original parts as possible and replace parts with not only the right values, but the right types and even part numbers, especially the transistors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Just as a clarification, Eric's name was Braun. It was a typo on some album covers.
    The Wiki is mis-spelling the name as well:

"Erik Brann aka Erik Braunn aka Erik Braun (August 11, 1950 – July 25, 2003), American musician, was a guitarist with the 1960s heavy metal band Iron Butterfly. He is featured on the band's greatest hit, the legendary 17-minute piece In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (1968), recorded when he was just 17."

But anyway, if he was using the Mosrite FuzzRite on the album, he sure got some mean sound out of it and onto the vinyl.
    The 5er Driver

Now Annoying In
    ((((((Stereo))))))

Plug that beotch in an' let her rip!

Thanks for the comments and a bit of history.

I posted this late last night and didn't bother to Google it. I see today that there are quite a few hits about this old pedal on the web. There's a Japanese version and modern clones, mini's, and kits of it.

I've been though so many distortion pedals since I use to use this old thing. I think I'll have it resurrected. It's probably only the battery connection that needs fixing.

(The first 'fuzz' sound I ever heard was Paul McCartney running his bass through a fuzzbox on Harrison's "Think For Yourself" on Rubber Soul. Soon after that, I was trying emulate the distorted, reverberated sound of Eric Braun with this pedal. We use to (attempt to, at age 15) play the entire Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida, including the drum solo - we even had a Vox Jaguar organ! ...good memories!)

Thanks.
    Trip, Starhum