Thread: Fulltone Fulldrive 2 question

Forum Member

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 question

A quick question for anyone who has (or has used) a Fulldrive 2: can you use the Boost function independently of the Overdrive function? In other words can you turn the overdrive off and hit the Boost switch for a clean boost? Or does the boost only work if the overdrive is engaged?

I've got a BYOC TS808 clone that I like a lot, and occasionally I turn down the gain and turn up the level to use it as a kind of clean boost, but I thought it would be cool to have a single pedal that can work as an overdrive or a clean boost without messing with knobs. Is the Fulldrive 2 a candidate, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Re: Fulltone Fulldrive 2 question

Woof Woof, wrong tree.

The boost is not independant of the overdrive. It would be nice though.
    POO DAT!!!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I think, maybe, a ZIM does that...?

You can engage the "comp cut" mode of the FD2. That gives an ugodly (and unusable, in my opinion) amount of volume boost. But you can't have boost and grit.

I've used a ToadWorks Death Rattle which has that ability. One button to switch between Fender or Marshall type voicing, the other for boost. You can use the boost independent of the drive. Pretty decent pedal. Get the latest version (#3).
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    You can engage the "comp cut" mode of the FD2. That gives an ugodly (and unusable, in my opinion) amount of volume boost. But you can't have boost and grit.
    Bingo! That's exactly right. Although, with that much volume it drives an overdrive channel nicely.

The 'boost' only adds more grit to your dirt. It doesn't make the pedal much louder. It makes the distortion more creamy-just more dirt.
    "Live long and prosper."
    http://www.soundclick.com/spudman

Good point Spudman. I suppose you could set up your tube amp such that hitting it with the FD2 in comp cut mode would give you the crunch you're after and then engaging the boost part would drive it even a little harder.

The original question was about getting a clean boost though.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    The original question was about getting a clean boost though.

The best way for that is to leave the pedal off and then when you want a clean boost have the FD2 in the comp cut mode for the boost effect, turn down the overdrive knob and hit the on switch.
    "Live long and prosper."
    http://www.soundclick.com/spudman

Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic has two channels and I use the first channel as a clean boost and the lead channel as a distortion channel. I use this with a fulltone OCD at all my gigs. It's a good combo for a clean-->clean boost-->crunch-->dirty overdrive chain

Forum Member

Get a Fatboost! Wait. Get 2 cuz you'll want to leave 1 on all the time.

Forum Member

Thanks for the answers, guys. I'm leaning toward just adding a clean boost pedal to my chain. I think I want something extremely simple and very transparent; something that just kicks my tweed Champ a little harder and lets it do the rest.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

See my post above!

my jeckyll and hyde is set to work like that
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Forum Member

Skyler, is a Fulltone Fat Boost a very transparent, very clean boost? That's really what I'm looking for; something that doesn't do anything to my guitar signal but add some dBs.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Skyler, is a Fulltone Fat Boost a very transparent, very clean boost? That's really what I'm looking for; something that doesn't do anything to my guitar signal but add some dBs.
    you can do that w/a cheap eq pedal
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Yes the FB is supposed to have 20db of clean boost. Keeley Katana is also widely viewed as one best clean boosts.

You can use the FDII as a clean boost in the comp cut mode, but it doesn't sound as good as a 'real' clean boost. It wasn't designed that way. The comp cut just removes the clipping diodes from the circuit.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

I just added an RC booster to my board and I love it. I'm using it as a clean boost and to add a bit of volume for solos when the TS9 is on. It is extremely transparent, even when boosting the TS9. I have a FD2 that is no longer getting any use because of the RC booster. I also agree about the FD2 not being a very good clean boost.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 1bmf View Post
    I just added an RC booster to my board and I love it. I'm using it as a clean boost and to add a bit of volume for solos when the TS9 is on. It is extremely transparent, even when boosting the TS9. I have a FD2 that is no longer getting any use because of the RC booster. I also agree about the FD2 not being a very good clean boost.

Matt
    I just tried the RC Booster and bought it immediately. Amazing. I love it.

+1 on the Xotic RC Boost... they are the best! I have mine on the end of my effects chain to keep everything good going to the amp but I have also tried it in the front of everything too. And either way it works great! It also has active EQ on it which I particularly like. If you switch guitars like I do from a Strat to a Les Paul and want to fatten or thin up the sound to suit you ear it's really nice. It's perhaps the best all around pedal I have for what it does. Oh yeah... very transparent too!

No you can not do that, BUT IMHO, one of the cool things about the new Mosfet version is you can switch the unit to "FM" mode, for flat mids, set it to Mosfet, and then jack up the volume on the pedal and roll down the drive knob, that provides a pretty nice little boost, IMHO, then you can still use the "boost" button for more "lift" for solos.

I wished Fuller would come out with a pedal that had an independent boost only or overdrive only ability, PLUS being able to combine the two.

The comp cut mode, takes some significant time and tweaking to be set right to my ear. I can use it occasionally but most of the time its just "too much".

The vintage mode IMHO, with the all the knobs at about 11 o'clock is perfect for old time gritty open tuned slide work. I stole this setting from Bo Ramsey's Fulldrive, and I think he knows a thing or two about tone...