Thread: More on the CV 50s Tele

More on the CV 50s Tele

Today, I ended up changing strings, shimming the neck, and doing some other adjustments on the guitar. While I had it unstrung, I thought I'd peek under the hood to see what was in there.

First thing I did was look at the bridge pup to see what kind of baseplate it had (if any). Check it out:

I don't know if the baseplates are normally that thick on Teles. That's some serious copper.

While I was at it, I was checking out the support docs and wiring diagrams. I found out that it's wired just like a classic Tele is, but with the connection to the body for the shielding. These come stock with a .03uF cap off the tone pot. I dug around in the parts boxes for some caps to see if there's something I could use to experiment with, and found a bag full of Sprague ODs. I decided to try a .047uF to get closer to the original specs of .05uF to see what it would do to the sound.

I was a little underwhelmed with the neck pickup in the stock wiring, and it was a little lifeless compared to the bridge. With this new capacitor and a slight raise of the neck pickup, I'm noticing a little better dynamics from it and am liking it more. I can really dial in that Tele jazz sound I was after now.

Speaking of pots, I was expecting some cheap, tiny mini-pots that I had in my last Squier. Not here, this one has the nice, full-size Alpha pots that I use in my amp builds. Very nice!

Anyway, the other pic I have is of my first 'mod':

It's a little overkill on the cap, but it's what I had on hand. I doubt it had any major affect on the guitar, but I can tell a slight difference just due to it's higher quality. I may try a 225P Orange Drop in there next. Maybe a .022uF and a .047uF to see what I like more.

Anyway, I'm really liking this guitar more and more as the days go on. I can't wait to finally get my BF amp done and try this through it now!!!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Re: More on the CV 50s Tele

Nice NT, Real Nice.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Sweet. Thanks for the innards report!
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

That pickup looks superficially like the one on Alvarez tele-clones.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

The bridge on these is around 8.5k and the neck is 6.9k. The bridgre pup doesnt sound thin and tinny like alot of Teles do its got a full fat sound.

I'd like to add, that this Tele relics NICE AND EASY.

Light bump on a plastic, rounded-edge of my desk, and a nice chip of the finish comes off.

Luckily, it looks good and natural.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Man, when you jump in, you really jump in.

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Did I mention it was accidental?

-Edmund Burke

No, you didn't.
    Hmmm...
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

There is one FS on the local CL for $100.00 bucks should I grab it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    There is one FS on the local CL for $100.00 bucks should I grab it?
    YES!

DO IT!

-Edmund Burke

The neck alone is worth more than $100.

It was gone...

That sucks...but I'm not surprised. I still think that these aren't going to be made very long and go the way of the ProTone series of Squiers. Made so well, that the 'real' Fenders took a sales pinch.

Man...and I needed another Tele player to talk about how amazing this one is, since I sound like a little kid on Christmas with my first Tele, and my opinion isn't based on past Tele experience.

-Edmund Burke

I ordered two and might keep both. Wanted to compare to the store lay-away. I think the sound and playing is very close to the Baja tele! The Deluxe had tuning issues, magnets keep pulling the strings out of tune!
    rockenrobert
    gotta play one more before I go

Very cool!

I think the next thing I'm going to do, is to remove the ground connections from the shielding to see what affect that has on the sound/noise.

That, and I'll take it to the luthier to get a new nut put in.

I played mine today through my Tweed Pro (clone) and it was niiiiice.

-Edmund Burke

I have the guy at the local music store here in Rock Hill, SC ordering me one so I can "flog" the bejesus out of it... Heehee! Of course my recent shoulder surgery is going to limit playing time... but hey! That guitar and the rebuild that TJ is getting ready to do on my HRDx will be so cool! I just gotta have one to fill out my geetar collection! I was thinking about changing the bridge with a Callaham and installing a better nut along with some boutique pickups... serious axe kicking action in the works here!

Quote Originally Posted by dzguitar10 View Post
    I was thinking about changing the bridge with a Callaham and installing a better nut along with some boutique pickups...
    About the only thing it would need is a better nut. Give the pickups a chance...they're a lot better than you'd think!

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    About the only thing it would need is a better nut. Give the pickups a chance...they're a lot better than you'd think!
    I most likely will leave her alone for a while and take in all she has to offer! This will be the first Tele I've ever owned... I have played a few though. The nut will be something I'll probably do pretty soon. Can't wait for it to get here!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    ...Give the pickups a chance...they're a lot better than you'd think!

+1

The pups are really something special.