Thread: Websites to find mode information?

Websites to find mode information?

I would like to start some self lessons on the modes.

Can you point me to any sites, that I can print out fretboard patterns?

I can't remember a site I used to follow years ago, but it implemented midi in the lessons...Something like cyberfret or 8th notes? Not sure though.

thanks

Re: Websites to find mode information?

The fretboard patterns are the same for any mode. You simply switch positions. It's the same scale no matter which mode you use. In other words, if you can play the Ionian scale in any key, you already know all the modes. The whole secret to modes is that it is incredibly easy and if you are struggling, then you need to go back and understand the theory. All you are doing is moving the intervals around.

In other words, the Ionian for one key is the Dorian for another, and the Mixolydian for yet another...

Modes are rediculously easy and yet seen as mystical by those that refuse to even scrape the surface of theory.

Case in point, ever notice how well the C major scale works so elegantly over an A minor chord?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Re: Websites to find mode information?

May I suggest the following:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/modes/

I hope you find it useful!