Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amp Gain vs. Pedals

Forum Member

Re: Amp Gain vs. Pedals

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Hmm, I should have said that I turn it to about 4, not really cranking it. Hey, it works for me. Different folks, different strokes.
    I only use one amp, too, a DRRI on about 5, so not too different from your setup. I wasn't saying you can't only use one amp.

What I mean is, if you're going to really crank a really small amp to push the power tubes for all of your gain, I think your clean options are more limited because gain and volume will be interdependent. That's where a larger second amp could be handy for loud clean tones.

But of course you can get by with a single medium sized amp, even if it's not crystal clear, and especially if you're playing roots rock or blues. And whatever works, works, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NDRU View Post

What I mean is, if you're going to really crank a really small amp to push the power tubes for all of your gain, I think your clean options are more limited because gain and volume will be interdependent.
    Not necessarily. This is one of the things you can do with a 5E3. The amp 'brickwalls' at the point of distortion. Depending on how hard you hit it, it can actually get quieter when you really push it.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Not necessarily. This is one of the things you can do with a 5E3. The amp 'brickwalls' at the point of distortion. Depending on how hard you hit it, it can actually get quieter when you really push it.
    you mean, there's a point as you turn up the volume that the volume stops increasing but the gain keeps going?

Yep.

The down side is that the volume needs to be spot on. You can tweak that a bit, but I always find myself needing 1 or 2 db more.
    orange picks

As did I with the 12a125 that was in it until recently. Replaced it with a 12f150 and it's now just right with the band.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I've heard the 12F125 is the 'shizzle' (LOL) in that amp...

I like the 12A125 I've got in there a lot, but based on my intense dislike of the 10F125 (and love of the 10A125), I'm a little hesitant to try the 12F125.
    orange picks

Never heard an xxF125 but the 12F150 is great. What's the 12F125 based on? C12Q?

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Never heard an xxF125 but the 12F150 is great. What's the 12F125 based on? C12Q?
    Roughly, it's got a slightly bigger magnet than the C12Q and I'm not sure (?) if the Q was ribbed all the way up and down. All I know a super-picky friend of mine put one in a small Fender BF amp and raves about it. And another also picky friend replaced the 12A125 in his 5E3 with one and considers it a big improvement. Of course both of these guys were looking for more punch, dynamics and headroom (vs. bluesy compression).

I like the 12A125 that you put in my 5E3 clone a lot. That "bluesy compression" was exactly what I was after.

The cascading gain that's built into NRDU's and my Boogies is a completely different thing.
    I have an Eminence Tonker in my Boogie. It's louder, brighter and more articulate than the Celestion C-90 that the amp came with. The articulation is what I like best about it (it's loud as hell though!). The C-90 was mud.

Forum Member

I picked up a Durham Crazy Horse pedal this week

My 59 Deluxe Tweed with an old P12R pretty much nails the tone I lust for but it does get a little loud in my home studio.

My 72 Princeton has a 10" square magnet fitted. This can get really
    nice when cranked too but don't have the thick mid's like the 59.

Stick the Princeton through my Musicmaster cab/12" Jenson and your in Neil Young land..

I bought this pedal hoping I could attain the same crunch at respectable home volume's. WRONG. this pedal is LOUD !!!

Through the Princeton it is simply outragous.. Awesome !!
    LP with a Fire Bird in the bridge

Tried it through the 59 Tweed and was gutted.. sounded crap.. Thrash metal city. Early day's I'll have another play this w/end.

Paul
    UK

I like the 12A125 I've got in there a lot, but based on my intense dislike of the 10F125 (and love of the 10A125), I'm a little hesitant to try the 12F125.
    Kap.n have you tried the 10A150T...? Mo of everything the 10A125 has - mo lows, mo highs, mo sensistive/articulate, mo tight. It is a little less middy and compressed, but I like it even better (I do like the 10A125 as well). The 10A150 seemed dull in comparison. The 10A150P was unreal, but a bit colored/chimey (in a very good way).

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Kap.n have you tried the 10A150T...?
    I have not. I do have a really early P10N (10A150) which used to be my absolute favorite, but in the last couple of years seems too rounded on the high end for my tastes. I hope it's not my ears going.
    orange picks

I have not. I do have a really early P10N (10A150) which used to be my absolute favorite, but in the last couple of years seems too rounded on the high end for my tastes. I hope it's not my ears going.
    Nope, you're right - the 10A150 sounds dull compared to the 10A125 and really dull compared to the 10A150T.

Forum Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any famous examples of the different types of gain?

Pedals vs Preamp gain vs Power amp gain on popular songs?

For example, I assume Santana is usually using preamp gain on a Boogie, as is Metallica. Any others, or specific songs, even? I don't know who uses what pedals.

I only like amps that I can carry easily and sound good the BJr is that amp, with an od of your taste.
    Jerry

Lately, I've been favoring using a pair of Vox Pathfinders for smaller gigs. I had a great time last Saturday night playing through a Marshall Jackhammer (used sparingly) and a Reverend DriveTrain II (used on a lower-gain setting) and an Ibanez Chorus to split the signal. With a Strat I got some delicious tones.

I know that this might seem like heresy, but I am liking the SS amps for small gigs where I can't open up the AC15. And, as always, I use pedals for gain 'cause they're easily tweakable.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn used a tube screamer, I guess.

What about Zeppelin? the sex pistols? The Clash? Nirvana? Did they use pedals or their amps?

Funny, when I was a kid I once read an interview with Pete Townshend where he said something about playing the amp rather than the guitar. It was incomprehensible to me and I spent lots of time chasing after the "best" guitar.

It's only now when I have some more miles (and beers) under my belt that I truly appreciate the wisdom of Pete and I'm starting to get together a fair collection of amps. It really is the most important part of the chain and it's something I'd made secondary, if not completely overlooked, for many years.
    s'all goof.

I know that Kurt Cobain used a chorus pedal, and the Boogie Studio Preamp into a Crown power amp. As for Zeppelin, who knows what they used in the studio...to my ears it sounds like amp overdrive for the most part - at first of course it was the Tele into the Supro amp and then later the LP into the Marshall. I heard that he used a Sola Sound Tone Bender for awhile too. The Clash? I don't think they were all about good tone - just what worked for the song.

It would be great to have an amp that could do all I need it to do - and I'm sure if I had the ability to switch multiple amps in and out and have them set up by roadies and mic'ed by sound techs then I would opt for lots of great amp sounds...but since I'm limited to one - MAYBE two - amp(s) onstage, I have to use pedals. FWIW I used to go to gigs with the original Marshall Guv'nor, and an SD-9 and my AC15 - and find that for the most part the Guv'nor stayed on and the SD-9 stayed off and I was rolling my volume up and down and had a very responsive rig that could go from fairly clean to fairly gnarly with just a twist of the knob or switch of the pickups. But that was for a specific type gig where I just showed up and played rhythm and occasional leads behind the lead singer/main guitarist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    The Clash? I don't think they were all about good tone - just what worked for the song.
    I was more just curious to know which technique produced which type of tone, and I know the Clash's music very well.

Of course I can just experiment on my own, but it's hard to be objective while I play. I thought I could hear the difference clearer if someone said "the Clash used the gain on their Marshall amps"

(thanks for the other info, though!)

Other examples I'm curious of:
    Eddie Van Halen
    Jimi--I know he used a fuzz pedal, maybe there wasn't preamp gain back then?
    ZZ Top

A lot of the Rev's tone came from using small amps, lots of small amps, stacked up pyramid style with a mic in the middle. Early on, he used single small amps like the 5e3 and the Marshall 18 watters.

EVH reportedly used a 50 watt Marshall cranked full up.

Jimi did use fuzz, but it's reported that a lot of his studio work was done with a Champ with the speaker removed and laying on a pillow and a mic suspended above it. Clapton supposedly did the same thing, but I don't remember which did it first, but one copied the technique from the other.

So, basically, in the 3 examples you asked about, all were fully cranked amps (most of them small) and what you're hearing is lots of power amp drive.
    POO DAT!!!

EVH's 50 watt Marshall also was plugged into a variac and therefore overdrive was a bit easier to achieve - so the story goes.

Forum Member

I just removed the treble bleed circuit from my guitar, which I believe was affecting my gain tone. This subject may have to be completely re-evaluated!