Thread: HRDx Issue?

HRDx Issue?

Wondering if anyone might have some thoughts on this. I've got a 3 to 4 year old Hot Rod Deluxe 1X12 that I've been trying. I noticed that one of the 6L6 power tubes in XV4 socket was not glowing as the other in XV5. I thought the tube was bad so to verify this I switched the tubes from one socket to the other to see what would happen . When I powered up the amp the one I thought might be bad was glowing in XV5 but the other "good" one was not glowing in socket XV4. This tells me that both tubes may be OK but maybe there is a problem with tube socket XV4. Am I missing anything here? The amp still works but there must be something wrong. Any thoughts on this? I just checked the bias and it is setting at 34mV's. This is low and probably reflects one live power tube. Thanks, KM5JH

Re: HRDx Issue?

You're likely in need of some attention on your tube socket pin solder connections.

But, it's under warranty, so have Fender fix it!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    You're likely in need of some attention on your tube socket pin solder connections.

But, it's under warranty, so have Fender fix it!
    You may be right on the pin connections. I thought it might be under warranty but according to my son, it's past 5 years old. I'll examine the socket and see if I find anything. Not sure what else it might be. Thanks, Tony

65 SG Jr., Gibson Les Paul Jr, 06 American DLX Tele, 86 G&L Invader
    Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI, Peavey Classic 50, Fender Blues Jr NOS (Private Jack), Gibson GA-5, VibroChamp XD
    02 Gallagher Doc Watson, 72 Alvarez Yaire 12 String, Kentucky KM350
    Lots of pedals...

Well, it could be any of the green wire connections from the power transformer through the tube socket PCB.

Specifically look at pins 2 and 7 on the power tubes.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Well, it could be any of the green wire connections from the power transformer through the tube socket PCB.

Specifically look at pins 2 and 7 on the power tubes.
    Will do.... Thanks, Tony

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI, Peavey Classic 50, Fender Blues Jr NOS (Private Jack), Gibson GA-5, VibroChamp XD
    Lots of pedals...

UPDATE....

I checked V4 and found 3 pins with broken solder contacts (3 side by side). I de-soldered the 3 pins and cleaned them and then re-soldered with 94/6 tin-silver. I powered up the amp and mission accomplished. I set the bias at about 68mV's. I'd be curious to hear what bias folks are using with the GT's. I have some JJ 6L6 tubes on the way and will switch out the GT/Sovteks when I get the JJ's in. What bias setting is good for the JJ's??? Thanks for your input.... Tony

Lots of pedals...

Quote Originally Posted by km5jh View Post
    UPDATE....

I checked V4 and found 3 pins with broken solder contacts (3 side by side). I de-soldered the 3 pins and cleaned them and then re-soldered with 94/6 tin-silver. I powered up the amp and mission accomplished. I set the bias at about 68mV's.
    this is the most common scenario I have encountered.

I biased a little hotter than that....and it plays fine.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by km5jh View Post
    I set the bias at about 68mV's. I'd be curious to hear what bias folks are using with the GT's. I have some JJ 6L6 tubes on the way and will switch out the GT/Sovteks when I get the JJ's in. What bias setting is good for the JJ's???
    Biasing is set to a percentage of maximum plate dissipation, not a mV reading. The mV reading is a result of bias, not a process to bias.

There's somespecific bias information in the amp sticky thread.

-Edmund Burke

Biasing is set to a percentage of maximum plate dissipation, not a mV reading. The mV reading is a result of bias, not a process to bias.

There's somespecific bias information in the amp sticky thread.
    True... the mV is a measure at the test lead on the PCB and is a indication that is commonly referred to. I didn't go into detail. I'll check out the area you mentioned... Thanks, Tony

Lots of pedals...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    this is the most common scenario I have encountered.

I biased a little hotter than that....and it plays fine.
    Thanks.... Tony

Lots of pedals...