Thread: V-Necks

V-Necks

Hey, I've been thinking of going to a v-neck strat. I've been to about 4 shops in the area to try one but no one has one in stock. I have large hands and really cramp my hand up sometimes. I was wondering if this might ease my playing? I have a 2007 American Standard. I played my friends Tele with an oversized "C" (not sure of the radius)and that seemed to slow me down more. Thanks
    Last edited by 10-15-14; 08-25-2008 at 04:35 AM.

Re: V-Necks

Neck shape is at least as important to the feel of a neck as neck thickness.

"V" shaped necks can feel slimmer than other necks of the same thickness depending on how you hold the neck.

I hang my thumb pretty far over the to of the neck so the .940" or so thick "V" shaped neck on my USACG T-Style feels thinner to me than the .8XX thick, strong shouldered neck on my Gary Moore Les Paul.

That's because the diagonal cross section of the USACG "V" shaped neck is thinner than th Les Paul's neck even though it's actually over .100" thicker from front to rear!

If I put my thumb straight on the back of the USACG "V" shaped neck it feels very large and the Les Paul's neck feels way too skinny.

Re: V-Necks

I love the soft V-shape on my Baja tele, very comfort and ergonomic!
    But i have experienced that i tend to be slightly tired in my hand when playing long sets. That can be due to that i´m use to play on C-shaped necks since 30+ years. The Baja is my first and only V-shaped neck, the rest of the heard have C-shaped necks.