Thread: Looking for some new pickups

Looking for some new pickups

Looking to put some new pickups into my Angelicaster. I have tried a couple sets and am still a little unsatisfied. So I'm looking at the GFS site for some ideas.

I tried the Kinman Traditional MK II set, but found the pickups to be a little too thin and bright.

I tried the Kinman Blues set, and they had a more full sound, but the bridge was too hot, at least for the rest of the set.

I replaced the bridge of the Kinman Blues set with a Kinman AVn-59, and that balanced the set out much better, but then I found that the attack was too flabby and pronounced, particularly on the bridge.

I tried out an Eric Johnson strat, and I love the bridge pickup, but the in-between positions (2 and 4) sound muddy and bland.

So I'm looking for something new, something with a quick but not overly pronounced attack, with bright clear tones on the in-between positions, but with a nice full body, particularly on the bridge.

I know a lot of people like the GFS 60's repros, but I can't find any decent sound clips of them. How do they compare to the GFS Premium Alnicos?

Re: Looking for some new pickups

I like the Rio Grande pickups, I think you will find what you are looking for in them.

Forum Member

i just ordered some gfs 64 grey bottom pickups. i'll repost when i get them to let you know how they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    I like the Rio Grande pickups, I think you will find what you are looking for in them.
    The description does sound attractive, but the sound files only show off the bridge pickup... and they're expensive.

Does anybody have sound clips of the 60's Repros?

You wouldn't want to skimp on pickups, you will just have to replace then again. Good Luck!

Looks like the 60's Repros are out of stock for the next six weeks. So it's down to the Premium Alnicos and the Greybottoms. Definitely curious to hear what the Greybottoms sound like.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

The 'trick' to getting great clear tweener sounds is to put a real low output PU in the mid position. This assumes you don't play a lot on mid alone.