Thread: New Squire owner looking for advice

Forum Member

New Squire owner looking for advice

After doing some reading here I ended up putting on layaway a Squier Vintage Modified Series strat. I will be picking it up this friday and I was wondering if anyone else owned one and how they are holding up? I have only had les pauls till now. I was wondering what brand of string most of you guys use on these and also if theres anything else I should know?

Thanks,

CM

Re: New Squire owner looking for advice

just think about this- There are squires that play like gems, and real custom shop fenders that play like dogs. Find the right squire, and get that. Pickups are cheap, and a poor playing guitar will give you trouble for as long as you own it, unless you find something horribly wrong with it.

Have fun with the squire, I haven't heard much bad about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by camurphy2 View Post
    After doing some reading here I ended up putting on layaway a Squier Vintage Modified Series strat. I will be picking it up this friday and I was wondering if anyone else owned one and how they are holding up? I have only had les pauls till now. I was wondering what brand of string most of you guys use on these and also if theres anything else I should know?

Thanks,

CM
    I've heard some good things about them but I have not been able to play one yet. On the string issue: Mpst everyone on the forum plays D'Addario XL strings. They are cheap and sound great.

jjankosky

Setup, Setup, Setup.

I like Ernie Balls myself.

Oh, and either get a setup or setup yourself. Nut, Neck, then Bridge.

Forum Member

I have heard really good things about the VM Squiers. By the way the pickups on it are not cheap. They are the SC101s designed by Seymour Duncan, and they apparently have good electronics in them. I have two of the new Deluxes on order one in Daphne Blue and the other in White. They also have the same pickups and electronics. Mine will have the maple fretboard though.
    Squiers are not the only guitars that need a good setup, I feel that every guitar needs one from the factory. I always have my tech set it up the way I like it with a set of 9.5 D'Addarios. They are perfect on a Strat. I also have a Deluxe in Flame maple, and a Standard Squier in Cherryburst. They are very nice guitars. I also own several MIMs and a couple of MIA including a 50th Ann. Deluxe. So I know my strats. The VMs will be a very nice guitar with a good pro set up!
    Play'n the Blues in the Great White North

Forum Member

Cool,

Thank you guys for all of the advice. I should be picking it up on friday and have it set up by my dealer in the next week or so.

Thanks again,

CM

I bought a Daphne Blue Squier Deluxe last week..... full of character. Very impressed. very easy to play, sounds very stratty, looks great, I just add some bass on the amp settings to give it some muscle. A set of pickups can cost more than these guitars!

I believe that the vintage modified and the deluxe squier are the best deal out there right now. I prefer it to the MIM.

I have my eye on a vintage modified in three tone sunburst

I've played a few VM Teles lately and every one has been really nice.

I bet with a good setup, you'll be in good shape.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I have 2 of the Squire guitars. One is the "vintage" Tele and the other is a Jagmaster. Both guitars are solid. I did a setup check on both of them and they came set up from the factory pretty good.

Both guitars have alder bodies and maple necks (the same as any Fender Strat or Tele). The pickups are not actual Fenders but they are made under Fender specs by someone else. Both of the guitars sounded good as far as the pickups go. Go on Squires web site pick out your guitar and look at the spec's. That will tell you what the guitar is made of.

I know a Fender rep and he told me that Fender has begun investing more into the Squire line over the last couple of years. The quality has improved a lot (with the exception of the "package kit" guitars).

If your guitars intonates good and stays in tune then you have a good guitar. Changing out the pickups is an option if you feel like you need to. I put a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in my Jagmaster just because I like the sound of them.

FYI

G

the new generation squiers have the Duncans as mentioned above. but the rest of the wiring including the five way, is very cheap, the tuners look nice but are flimsy, the nut is some kind of soft plastic, -> but all and all, still a great buy. My main guitar is an '03 R9 LP, I also have a '65 ES335, and a '97 California Series Strat.

Believe it or not, I enjoy playing the Squier as much as the others. And I cant 'say that about most of the other USA Strats I've owned

Forum Member

Just bought one of these http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0321603530 nearly a month ago and I'm digging it. The cherry burst color is tight. I don't care for the vintage green pickguard so I've purchased a white pearloid pickguard and a set of hot Wilkinson strat pickups. I still have yet to do the install because I've been busy playing through the Roland Microcube my stepsons gave me for my birthday. I'm enjoying the feel of the neck on this guitar. Way better than the MIC Squier Strat I purchased in '96. This one was manufactured in China as well.

Seems that guitar craft in China is improving rapidly. I aslo own an Ibanez Artcore AG-85. It too was made in china and it's sweet. Maybe time away from "The Great Helmsman" has made it easier to build axes for us imperialists.

Oh Yeah DiAddario XL 10's.

Definitely get a setup on that Squier and have them crown the frets nie and round.
    Last edited by BHerndon; 06-01-2008 at 10:38 PM.

My preferences are 10 -> 46 on the Deluxe Squier Strat, straight neck, bridge all the way down to the body, five springs, claw screwed tight, filed edges off the nut.
    and for the pirce.......... it's a great deal.

I replaced the duncans with vintage noiseless complete pickguard which dropped right in. the original pickups were too microphonic for me, and the stock electronics were pretty cheap.

Forum Member

I realize that for the money the guitar will have cheap tuners plastic nuts and other cheap parts. But I also did some reading here and the wood that is used is the same or near the mex strats. I figured down the road when my skills increase I can always upgrade pick ups, tuners, ect, ect.

As of right now I dont own a guitar that I paid more than $500 for. I have a ibanez ar 200, a epi LP Ultra and and my vintage squire strat. I havent got the skills to justify spending more that what I have spent so far.

One other thing Ive noticed in the last 6 months is the prices of guitars have gone up some more than others. I wondered if this is the result of the US dollar going down.

CM

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by camurphy2 View Post

One other thing Ive noticed in the last 6 months is the prices of guitars have gone up some more than others. I wondered if this is the result of the US dollar going down.

CM
    It most likely is.

I'll post a report how the Wilkinson's sound once I have them installed. They were a steal. I actually considered the Dimarzio "Areas" but thought it was too soon to spend as much on pickups as the guitar.

Bob H
    Last edited by BHerndon; 06-11-2008 at 11:19 PM.

I think the deluxe squier http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0300500504
    is a lot of guitar for the money. I just happen to have the extra noiseless loaded pickguard with no guitar to put it in. So the deluxe was the lucky recipient. It sounds very good plays very good. looks very good. Body is Basswood I believe. not as hard as alder but another very toneful wood. It may ding up a little easier, but at this price........ who cares.