Thread: dead harness puzzle

dead harness puzzle

I have a set of vintage noisless pickups installed in a pickguard. Works fine in the guitar it was in.

I decided to change pickguards. and transferred everthing to the new guard. When I reinstalled it, ... it was dead.

I tried different lead wires to the jack, even a different jack, but had no results. No sound at all. when I touch the positive wire on the vol pot, it hums. but the pickups are silent. All other wires seem to be connected.

Is the 500k pot dead?

Re: dead harness puzzle

maybe, reflow all the solder joints, sounds like there may have been a bad joint somewhere, probably going from the switch to the vol pot. maybe even a bad ground.

if you've got a multimeter, now is the time to use it. you can easily trace down the bad part. start with the pups.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I was trying to avoid the re-solder thing, but I agree and have to try it. The Multimeter is good too.

I can check this with guard loaded and outside of the guitar, (not installed) correct?

Thanks,

yes, i don't know how to measure for continuity, but i usually DC ohm read it, which works just fine.

i caught a wiring mistake i made the other day this way, just went through and DC ohmed everything, in every switch position, found out i forgot to ground the two pots together...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

odd thing is,
    I just lifted it out of one pickguard and stick it in another.
    soldered the grounds and the hot to vol, and no sound.

I think "silent" is a clue..... it has to be the volume pot itself, or a bad resolder from the positive jack lead.. I'll give it another go tomorrow.