Thread: Coolest guitar you never loved and for waht tech. reason?

Forum Member

Coolest guitar you never loved and for waht tech. reason?

Im gonna have to say Bye Bye to the Jackson Soloist in my Avatar.
    For me, it wasnt hard to love this guitar. very sweet Strat neck sounds and a righteous Humbucker in the bridge with the Floyd for divebombs. Only problem is, where i like to rest my hand for picking, my palm lays straight across the fine tuning buttons and sends the guitar out of tune. Pity. This axe had lowest of the low action and played like buttah.
    Another one I have in mind was a gorgeous USA Hammer Std. Explorer I had. Talk about a wonderfull player.. and the sound was deep, expansive and all around it was the guitar of my dreams. One thing I could never get used to was that you had to keep your fretting hand cupped around the neck at all times or once you let it go the headstock would take a divebomb straight down to the ground leaving the butt of the guitar sticking up in the air.
    I think I would like to have that guiatar back, but at the time I just sold it(for a rediculously low priced compared to waht they are fetching now). I also got rid of a beautful original 60's Gibson SG with P90's for the same neck heavey reason.How about yourself?
    Last edited by jerryjg; 04-27-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Re: Coolest guitar you never loved and for waht tech. reason?

I had a 2001 Les Paul Classic Plus in vintage burst. It was, for me the coolest looking guitar I have owned and a very good sounding guitar, but the slim taper neck made my hand cramp up after playing it a lot, and we played a lot. Someday I will own another like it, with 50's neck.

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Early 90's guild acoustic... it's not mine, it's my dad's. Why is it cool? It's my dad's guitar and only the second accoustic I can remember him playing as a kid after he replaced the first one.

It's cool because no other guitar sounds like my dad's does, I hear it and it's him. I kinda want to inherit it one day, but the thing is that it is heavy and much harder to play then my own current accoustic. I wanna love it but, right now I can't.

Also, after years of reading carvin guitar catalogues through out my high school years.. I finally got to play a used Bolt. I wanted to like it Soooo much, but the neck was too thin for my taste and uncomforable. Now I lust after a dc135 in them catalogues, but I know I probibly wont like the neck if they are all the same shape.
    Last edited by Jonnda; 04-27-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by DoobieK View Post
    I had a 2001 Les Paul Classic Plus in vintage burst. It was, for me the coolest looking guitar I have owned and a very good sounding guitar, but the slim taper neck made my hand cramp up after playing it a lot, and we played a lot. Someday I will own another like it, with 50's neck.
    I had a similar experience in '92 or '93. I bought a brand new Les Paul Classic from George Gruhn. It was one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever owned, but the slim neck & HOT ceramic p'ups made it impossible for me to get the sound out of it I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    Only problem is, where i like to rest my hand for picking, my palm lays straight across the fine tuning buttons and sends the guitar out of tune.
    Is it because you're turning the tuners with your palm or because you're moving the bridge with your palm? If it's because the bridge is moving you could try a Tremsetter before selling the guitar.

I have a Danelectro U2 re-issue that I love but find hard to play because of the skinny neck. It actually hurts my thumb.

i've had many guitars that i've sold cause i could never get on with them. some were mechanical like don brought up, and some were because i figured out that i'll never sound good on them.

i've found that i always sound like "me" no matter what guitar i play. but there are those that lend themselves better to my style than others.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I have a Danelectro U2 re-issue that I love but find hard to play because of the skinny neck. It actually hurts my thumb.
    ran into the same problem with the used carvin bolt I tried in a store once. Loved it, but the neck was not made for my hands.

old chaep japanese guitar necks however, are just right for me.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

I just had that experience with that SG '61 reissue I briefly owned and brought back to the store.

I've wanted an SG for a long time and think they look really awesome.

This one just didn't feel and sound right for me. I wanted to love it. I just couldn't - not for what it cost.
    s'all goof.

I'm not sure how I feel about SGs! I can't decide if they're the coolest rock guitar ever of a flimsy little piece of junk!

My old amp teck had an early '60s SG Junior that was a great guitar. It had nasty P-90 rock tone and a thick round neck. It was the ultimate "pizza flipper"

I hadn't played that old SG Junior (or any SG) in at least 15 years and played a new SG Standard to try out an MXR Carbon Comp last week. The SG sounded and played great but I could help thinking "where the hell is the rest of this guitar?"!

I kind of want one.

If I don't love a guitar, well it's just not cool.

That's just how my mind works, and I think I'll make it my official policy.

Seriously, I concur basically word for word with chucko.

A guitar can be cool spec-wise, or for a variety of historical/cultural reasons, but if you don't get what you want out of it, it's not cool and, you shouldn't love it.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Gravity Jim

The coolest guitar I ever played for any length of time and couldn't get completely bonded with was an Ovation Deacon I owned in the 70s. It looked stupid cool, was "bloody comfortable," had a flat-wide fingerboard I truly loved... but I just couldn't get anything I liked out of the Tom-Swift electronics.

Forum Member

the only "real"les paul ive ever owned.it weighed 13 pounds,which turned out to be just too much.once i fixed a couple of minor saddle issues that my epis never had it sounded great,but after a hard days work it was just too heavy.sold it for about what i paid and got a korean PRS singlecut...that ones a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
    the only "real"les paul ive ever owned.it weighed 13 pounds,which turned out to be just too much.
    Wow, I thought my cousin's LP Custom, with Kahler was heavy at 12.5lbs!

To me, the perfect guitar weight is 8lbs. The Strat in my avatar is only 6.5lbs and feels weird to play because it is so light. Right now my main gigger is 9lbs, and is okay. I have my eyes on a black McCarty that is 8lbs. I am going to check it out this weekend and may pull the trigger on it Saturday, if it feels and sounds good.

I have a 63 Supro Martinique that I still have but hated as a kid because it was so heavy. It's made out of fiberglass and as a skinny little 10 year old, this thing was hard on me. Now it's my go to slide guitar. It has 2 humbucker type pickups and a piezo built into the bridge. It's got 7 knobs and a Gumby headstock. Cool shit.

My PRS Custom 24 with the "artist package" quilt top. I never thought I'd be able to buy it but I broke up with an extremely high-maintenance girlfriend and suddenly found myself with cash to spare. So I put in a special order and paid it off before construction was finished.

Beautiful guitar, royal blue with chrome hardware and a stop-tail. But it played like a freaking tank. Extremely heavy (I was used to Strats) and yet the price tag made it seem fragile in my mind, so I had trouble swinging it around. I felt like I couldn't control it, and it never did sound quite right to me.

I eventually sold it to pay for an Ed Roman Quicksilver -- another complete disaster.

Eventually I discovered Warmoth and returned to the Strat world.