Thread: Esquire switch position not working

Esquire switch position not working

I was recording something with my Esquire yesterday when the sound cut out. This was in the third (closest to the bridge) position, so I tried it in the two other positions. These both worked, but I'm sure these two have now reduced in volume.

I've had a look under the control plate, but when it comes to electronics I'm as useful as a one-legged man in a nut-kicking contest. There aren't any wires loose from their solderings, that's as far as I can say.

I'm going to replace the strings over the weekend and have a look under the bridge while I do that, to check the wires are still connected to the pickup. In the meantime, is there anything really obvious a daft guy like me could miss that I should check?

It's one of the Seymour Duncan Esquires, if that makes a difference (odd wiring?).

:)
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Forum Member

Re: Esquire switch position not working

If its not the contack position in the switch, than it maybe that the pickup went open where its main output wires ar soldered to the winding leads and you may not see that, a ohms test is the best way if done on just that pickup.

I don't have a micrometer to test the electrics, so I'll probably end up taking it to a guitar store this weekend.

Well this is weird. I decided to test the guitar out before trying to get it repaired. It's working fine now.

I thought it may have been contacts so rolled the volume and tone knobs around on the 21st, but that didn't make any difference at the time. Loose wire that's reconnected through luck, or my dumb ass doing something wrong with the recorder I was putting it through? I guess only time will tell.

Time has told. Yep, the problem has come back.

This is weird, though. I've been playing the Esquire for a few hours with no problems. I came up with an idea I wanted to try, so I plugged it into a Boss OC3 (octave) pedal to record a bass line. I did that, then plugged back into the amp, and that's when I noticed the problem again. Swapped cables, checked volume, tone and switch positions, even shook the guitar around for a bit to see if it jiggled a loose wire into position, still nowt.

I've tried another guitar with the octave pedal and it was fine. Hmm.