Thread: steel trem block

Forum Member

steel trem block

anyone ever put one of these on a mim standard?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Fender...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: steel trem block

Yes I bought one of those from that seller and I like it. I have an '06 Standard so I replaced the stock one, It does have a little better sustain over the stock one, and it is a little heavier..
    Greco Gold Top

'06 60th Standard

'02 Epi Dot

You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans.
    Ronald Reagan

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

An alert for anyone wanting to install a Fender-US vintage steel trem block into a Mex-made vintage bridge with 2-7/32" spacing:

I went through this kabuki dance with my '99 '50s re-issue Taco-Caster. While the locations for the saddles, strings, and mounting hardware are identical, the position of the trem arm access hole in the bridge plate does not precisely coincide with the threaded hole in the block when mounted -- thus without enlarging the hole in the plate, the trem arm -- hence, the tremolo itself -- cannot be used. I ended up replacing the entire bridge assembly with the Fender-US equivalent.

Callaham says their vintage block will fit correctly but I have not tried that so I can't rightly comment on their claim.

Caveat Emptor!

Callaham's Mexican block will fit and has a correctly located trem arm hole, BUT -- their block is threaded for American trem arms (10-32 thread) and your MIM trem arm will not fit.

You can buy their trem arm or a Fender MIA trem arm; or do as I did and re-thread your MIM trem arm with a 10-32 tap and die set. The MIM thread diamater is larger so it's possible to re-cut it.

Edit: My comment applies to a MIM Standard Strat. I'm not sure for any of the other Mexican models.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Yup, forgot bout the trem arm...
    Greco Gold Top

'06 60th Standard

'02 Epi Dot

You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans.
    Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

did it fit the mim correctly? did your mim trem bar fit?

Forum Member

huge difference in my 2004 mim. trem arm hole had an awkward angle but it fits. The guitar in much louder and the tone is more bell like. rings out much better.
    Last edited by snake eyes; 03-14-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snake eyes View Post
    huge difference in my 2004 mim. trem arm hole had an awkward angle but it fits. The guntar in much louder and the tone is moer bell like. rings out much better.
    I noticed similar results after replacing the entire bridge/trem assembly in my MIM '50s re-issue with Fender-US parts......substantially increased sustain and volume. I shoulda done this years ago.

Forum Member

The Callaham is a cold rolled steel block. Thats the way vintage Fenders blocks were made. New ones are hot rolled. You need the cold rolled block for sure in my estimation, for vintage sound.
    I like brass. Many say its soft on the attack. Persoanally I love a good solid brass block. I found a good vintage one, but i think they may be still made brand new someplace.

Forum Member

Does brass work as well as steel?

I doubt it but probably better than Zinc
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Brass is neither better or worse, just different. It depends on the sound you are going for.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdw2000 View Post
    Brass is neither better or worse, just different. It depends on the sound you are going for.

What would be different about the sound?

What would be different about the sound?
    It would be brassy! LOL something you would have to experenice on your own, may not sound any different to whoever may sound different to Whom ever. Steel is more of what its all about.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Forum Member

Fender Lite Ash strat does not sound brassy to me.

I just installed the Callaham mexican premium upgrade kit (all the bridge parts except for the top plate,) and I have to say, it is awesome. But I have the same problem as someone else above, the trem arm hole on the block does not line up with the on the top plate. That's not due to lack of quality on Callaham's part, just my guitar being a super cheap import deal that has almost no standardized features. I hear they make a top plate for MIM strats now, but I don't know if that'll even fit my guitar, so I'll just take to top plate in to a machine shop somewhere and have them drill a hole to line up with the block. Sure, it'll be a little unsightly, like a figure-eight, really, but it's sure to be cheaper than a new top plate, and sure to work. Other than all that business, I'm very satisfied with them.

Forum Member

well, I sent that block back and orderd this complete tremolo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CHROME-DELUX...QQcmdZViewItem

Forum Member

Are the trem blocks in the Custom shop relics strats coled rolled steel like Callaham makes?

I replaced the tremblocks in my American Dlx. Strats with Callahams. I bought one of Callaham's whammy bars so it's all good.

Definitely an improvement in tone. Bell and chimey goodness galore.

I'll say it again. Callaham blocks in any strat I own. Also, I too put a Cllaham whammy bar in my Am. Dlx. (I really hated that solid chrome thing).

To answer Centsims question, no they are not like Callahams. They are the same block they use in all the other strats just "aged".

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat62 View Post
    I'll say it again. Callaham blocks in any strat I own. Also, I too put a Cllaham whammy bar in my Am. Dlx. (I really hated that solid chrome thing).

To answer Centsims question, no they are not like Callahams. They are the same block they use in all the other strats just "aged".
    Callaham has the best trem block goin', with the recessed trem arm hole equipped with the Delrin bushing. It's virtually bulletproof. You don't even need a BS-ME from Georgia Tech to figger out how it works an' why it's superior to Leo's original lash-up.

Definitely recommended!

(an' they make it in both vintage and contemporary spacing so they's no excuse not to put one in any Strat or "SLO" with the factory OEM trem).

Jus' mah 'pinion, y'unnerstan'......

Gravity Jim

The Callaham block is the bomb.