Thread: Best pre and power amp tubes for a HR deluxe

Forum Member

Best pre and power amp tubes for a HR deluxe

Just picked up a Fender HR deluxe used, but in mint condition---still with original tubes.....---I love it, but want to increase clean headroom.......what preamp tubes you guys recommend (and in which V position) as well as Power amp tubes for CLEAN tone and also increasing clean headroom.......I play 60's style stuff and a strat.....Thanks!!!

Re: Best pre and power amp tubes for a HR deluxe

JJ for preamp tubes. Try 12AT7 in V1 and V2 with a 12AX7 in V3 will get you pretty clean.

For power tubes, I recommend SED Winged C 6L6GCs. Bias on the cool side and you'll be real clean in addition to the preamp gain being lowered.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Man, thanks! Super information, just what I was looking for ......Any other thoughts out there about brands of preamp and power tubes that wold be a good fit here? Ei's? Sovtek's? Svetlana's......Tung Sol's?

Forum Member

I have some older EIs that really sound nice, some Sovteks that came with an amp were crap. I'm intrigued by the new RI Tung-Sols - there's been some very positive reports about them.

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    JJ for preamp tubes. Try 12AT7 in V1 and V2 with a 12AX7 in V3 will get you pretty clean.

For power tubes, I recommend SED Winged C 6L6GCs. Bias on the cool side and you'll be real clean in addition to the preamp gain being lowered.
    +1
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

I put 5751 JAN Phillips in V1 and V2 of my HRDlx and an EH 12AT7 in V3. I like the results of the 5751's....Lowers the output to about 70% of the 12AX7's in there. It gives it a little more bite but still with plenty of clean headroom. I don't think those amps break up early enough to be a concern anyway, unless you're really cranking the volume to ridiculous levels.

The best preamp tubes that I've managed to get a hold of are the 2 Brimars in my current machine, 4 others in back up and a coupla pairs of Mullards, 1 pr MIN, and the other - at the far reaches of my dusty cupboard are MIB.

The spanking pair of CV4024's are rainy day 12AT7's... lowest noise floor of any of this type - just really nice clear sounding bottles...

It's a case of what you can get a hold of... really

I have JJ 12AX7s, a 12AT7 soemwhere in there and their GC6L6s withMica to reduce rattle.

Bob at Eurotubes is a solid contact - as is Jim in Texas.

they will make the amp sound as good as its gonna sound.

If you already have a good speaker upgrade in place......your there.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Rob, the 4024s are great tubes. They should make excellent reverb tubes in my new Blackface build. Have you tried the M8162? Pretty nice too but I prefer the CV type.

Tommy.

Forum Member

Good scoop all; lots of choices to choose from; I am thinking maybe the JJ 12at7's in V1 and V2, a Tung sol 12ax7 reissue in V3, and either some SED or Svetlana 6L6GC's for power tubes; what ya think??

I think your splittin hairs, but it should work. They are all good.

I absolutley love the sound of my Hot rod, in clean mode, and wish I could depend on it sounding like that with more reliabilty. For now - (the past two years consistantly) it is a great sounding amp.

I have had offers from the guy I jam with weekly to buy it, and some would say me a fool - but I have a lot of time and some cash (not as much as others) into it, and it sounds great and responds really well.

At some point, if you have the original speaker, consider an upgrade. I would not condone a bunch of mods, because that is where some folks encounter more problems than they may have.

In the meantime, enjoy your amp. try you rdifferent pre tubes in vaious locations to see what suits you best.

BTW - Look directly at my avatar, and think about where you are getting your advice (kidding!)
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

HR deluxe speaker upgrade be better??

Guys; thanks; one more question; would money be better spent on a speaker upgrade for the HRD to get better clean and headroom? Like a Weber California or Michigan or a maybe a Jensen??

Good Tubes and a speaker that is designned to provide "the sound" you are looking for will be good steps forward.

At some point, it will be "as good as it gets"....and if it performs without multiple failures, you will be there. If you need to go beyond that, rather than sink a bunch of mony into it, look at stepping up to a better amp. In the meantime, I hope this helps.

Enjoy the amp, really.

Question for you - playing at home where you hear "just you"...or in a band mix?

I hear WAY too many people scrutinizing their tone done to the N'th degree when the truth is - in a mix, it doesn't measure the same.

Just curious.
    Kenny Belmont

The stock speaker isn't too bad, honestly. I think investing in one wouldn't be worth it just for headroom, but as Frank says do it to change the voice of the amp to suit your needs there.

That said, an Eminence Swamp Thang is a really clean and efficient speaker and would be a good choice. The Texas Heat also seems to work well in the HRDs.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post

Question for you - playing at home where you hear "just you"...or in a band mix?

I hear WAY too many people scrutinizing their tone done to the N'th degree when the truth is - in a mix, it doesn't measure the same.

Just curious.
    I play at home at bedroom/rec. room kind of volumes......at that kind of volume---I was even thinking of maybe an alnico magnet 12" rated speaker for maybe 30 watts or so---Weber or Eminence---and get that kind of chimieness I am looking for at volumes that would be pleasing at home.....not even pushing the HRD at all; or overdriving the speaker.....what ya think??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by woody961 View Post
    Just picked up a Fender HR deluxe used, but in mint condition---still with original tubes.....---I love it, but want to increase clean headroom.......what preamp tubes you guys recommend (and in which V position) as well as Power amp tubes for CLEAN tone and also increasing clean headroom.......I play 60's style stuff and a strat.....Thanks!!!
    Gasoline-filled tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by 121064 View Post
    Gasoline-filled tubes.

thats not a worth while comment -
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Yup, did not help me at all......

there were some good comments there......go with it and see where you land.

My advice is worth every dime you paid!
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Frank; thanks-----your comments were great!! Really thoughtful! Appreciated!

I was commenting on the guy that suggested gas filled tubes......that was of no help......

No prob, - just being funny I think - no harm done.

Iwas serious about hte splitting hairs thig though......until you introduce it into a mix......you can seriously over scrutinize and thats no good.

where are you located woody961? Just curious.
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Thanks...I am in Columbia, S.C.........

Just curious - again - welcome aboard......

there is some good info out here and many of the people are halpful and GREAT resources!
    Kenny Belmont