Thread: Is wireless any good for guitar?

Is wireless any good for guitar?

i've been thinking of going wireless between my tele and drri and there's none here in my area to try out. have to order one. i haven't been very impressed with other wireless products so far like headphones and mikes and such. does it work well for guitar, as good as a good cord..would appreciate feedback if anyone out there is using one...price range for a good one? thanks..

Re: Is wireless any good for guitar?

I started using one recently in order to do sound checks. Most units do negatively effect the tone of a guitar. I purchased a Guitar X unit (same guy that designed the Sennheiser) at app. $400 retail which is digital and it is not bad. I really don't hear much of a difference between it and the GeorgeL's I normally use. Just my 2 cents worth.

TFF Stage Crew

At most Sharp Circle gigs I use mine, which is a Shure UT "Guitarist." Sometimes the bassist, vocalist and I like to wander around in the crowd of dancers for fun.

I can definitely hear a difference between it and my cord... at home. In a gig situation the difference isn't really noticeable to my ears, and sure as heck not to anyone in the crowd.

Having fun at my shows is paramount, so I have no qualms. I have in the past tried some much crappier wireless devices, but I have nothing but good to say for the UT.

With wireless for guitar I think you sorta' get what you pay for... so spend the money to get one of the higher end units or you may not be happy. I use the Sennheiser EW-100 series (runs about $500 new but I picked it up used for under $300 on eBay, including an extra belt pack) and I couldn't be happier.

MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

much appreciated, that gives me a good idea..thanks