Thread: Sugestions needed, my pedal board build was a bust....

Sugestions needed, my pedal board build was a bust....

It came out beautifully, but the covering I used didn't take to the "hook side" velcro at all... So rather then start (yet) another in a long line of obsessive "projects" I thought I would ask what are you using to house protect and transport your stomp boxes? I have 5 pedals and am looking to add two more, is there some thing in the $100.00-$150.00 range that will hold (and carry) them all?
    Thanks

Re: Sugestions needed, my pedal board build was a bust....

i have two different ways to combat this problem:

1. use the "runner carpet" they sell at home depot as your base on the board. maybe 8 bucks.

2. buy the velcro that comes in strips, both sides, you know. and super glue the one side to a peice of plywood.

there's really no need to get fancy, most "pro" boards i've seen aren't that pretty, it's all about making it work.

option 3 is to drill holes on either side just big enough for zip ties and then fasten them down that way...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Ooo superglue. Nice. Didn't think of that one. Though, I have more of an issue with the velcro not staying stuck on the pedal. But, I think I cut it too short.

TFF Stage Crew

I'm with Chuck. The runner carpet is perfect. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's with a piece of the hook-side of velcro and just make sure it sticks to the one you're looking at.

I went the next step too and added zip-ties. I drill one hole on either side of where the pedal will be, then use two of the longer zip-ties locking into each other. Then I snip off the excess that sticks through the lock portion of the tie.

1. use the "runner carpet" they sell at home depot as your base on the board. maybe 8 bucks.
    +1 from me too. actually, i sacrificed an old doormat type of thing. it was a sort of tiny berber sort of weave, and sticks to the hook material perhaps better then the actual velcro loop material. the rubber backing made it easy to glue down. total investment: a saved trip outside to the garbage bin.
    a

My problem too was always the velcro not sticking to the pedals. Zip ties on my pedalboard.
    s'all goof.

Gator makes a nice case that should fit all your gear. It cost about $100 including a power supply mounted on the bottom, is covered with loop velcro, and I have fit the following on it:

Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    TS9 Tube Screamer
    SD1 Super Overdrive
    LPB-1 (EH Nano sized)
    Small Stone (EH Nano sized)
    Boss pedal tuner
    Boss GigaDelay (the big one, like on PC's board, above)

I use it every week at least twice and it's never let me down.

(except when I first got it and I tried to power the GigaDelay with it - I think I blew the power supply, so I took it back, they replaced it, and I bought a one-spot to power the GD instead.)

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Thanks guys, the stuff I used hooked to the velcro just fine. But after I repositioned them a few times the material started coming up in clumps...
    I'll try that home depot carpet runner stuff, if that works sweet if not Ill pick up a gator/small pedal train or some such...
    Thanks again.

You could try pulling the fuzzy Velcro taut on the board and shoot a couple of staples to keep it down tight.

The runner rug idea is good though.

Velcro sticks to the mats in my truck like crazy.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

+1 Rickenjangle

They also make one larger for like $150. I've used this board for well over 18 months and have had no issues with the velcro. Understand that my pedalboard is transported somewhere 3 to 4 days a week.

I gotta take pics of my board to show off. I had to be pretty creative to get all the pedals on the board. I think I might take the Small Stone off and try to find a tremolo pedal that fits in that spot; I think the Stone makes my sound kinda phasoid even when it's off...

I should mention that instead of taking the feet off my Wah pedal, I mounted it to the board by putting tiny mending plates (2x1, looks like the smallest Erector set pieces) between the feet and the wah, and screwed 'em back in, and then used a drill/driver to screw them to the board. The plates bent when the screws got tight, and it would take a drop down a flight of stairs to dislodge the pedal...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

So after reading Rickenjangle's reply with that long list of pedals he was able to get on the Gator and having a look at stratcat's picture, I ran out and picked up the small (non powered) gator today. Heres a crappy cellphone pic.

I took the pedals I used for a jam earlier today:
    Bad Monkey
    Tweak Fuzz
    Digi Verb
    Sonic Stomp
    Its a really nice little board, it looks like theres going to room for my Octavio and the foot switch for my Vox. Thanks again for the great advice.

Furman
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

TFF Stage Crew

Dale, is the Furman board now the same thing as the SKB powered pedalboard I'm seeing at MF and other places? They look identical. Just wondering if SKB bought the rights to that board from Furman.

It is this one:

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=SPB-8

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...m_medium=feed&

It appears to have gone up a touch since I bought mine.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

TFF Stage Crew

K, thanks. The power bar part looks a lot like this SKB:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ard?sku=544735