Thread: New Uses For An Old Toy!

New Uses For An Old Toy!

I have been trying to find a way to add reverb and tremolo to my Hiwatt mini-stack. In the past, I've used my Vox Pathfinder in tandem, mic'ing both amps, so the sound guys at church can mix in both sounds, but then my overall volume is a bit much.

So, I've been researching and searching for units that I can use to put in the fx loop of the amp. Thought of putting a nanoverb in the loop and then to replace my chorus with a trem pedal.

Well, then I remembered I have an Alesis QuadraVerb GT sitting around that I toy with from time to time. But - I didn't want to use it 'cause I don't want to fart around with a MIDI pedal.

Anyway, I looked at the manual, and found that I could use the same momentary footswitches I used to control my drum machine's start/stop and A/B patterns to control the QVerb's bypass and program advance. Then, through readin' the freakin' manual, I found that I can limit the advance range to as few as 2 presets - so I did that, and set up a preset for reverb only and another for tremolo and reverb. Best of all, it sounds good, is very tweakable, and didn't cost me a dime that I hadn't already spent a long time ago!

Who knows, I might set up another pair of presets, with the same settings but perhaps set up to let a bit more signal through, so that I can have more volume on tap for my Strats and a bit less for my LP (to even out the levels). This is so cool!
    Last edited by Rickenjangle; 11-20-2007 at 11:23 AM.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Re: New Uses For An Old Toy!

I love it when old stuff comes back to help my sound,stuff I almost traded or chunked---congrats!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

the manual, who'd a thunk it...

but seriously, i love rediscovering gear that i already own. maybe it's the cheapskate in me. congrats!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Yup. I am a technical writer by day, and by night. Who would have thought that I had not read the manual for my own piece of gear?

(of course, I bought the thing used, so I didn't actually get a manual with it...)

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."