Thread: Will I crack up?

Forum Member

Will I crack up?

I have not long taken delivery of my trusty strat...re-finished in nitro sunburst...I dont think it has a clearcoart on...so my question is ....will the nitro crack and craze in time...can I speed things up with the old hairdryer and compressed air trick? Cheers chaps

Re: Will I crack up?

leave it in your trunk (or boot) overnight when it's about -40 F (or C for that matter) then bring it into a sweaty, steamy honky-tonk. worked for a buddy of mine back in '63!
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Forum Member

Lol....It gets cold in the UK but not that cold.....I'll try it though.....are you convinced by the custom shops way of accelerating it with air? I was just unsure that the nitro would crack without the clearcoat?

TFF Stage Crew

Do NOT use compressed air on your finish. It will crack, but in random directions, kind of like a spider web. To get authentic, even checking the whole body must be exposed to extreme temperatures (cold & hot, preferably) at the same time. Then the cracks will look natural. Leaving it in a walk-in freezer overnight would probably work. It's also important that the lacquer has had a long time to cure.
    It's not easy to see, but the checking on this guitar follows the same direction for the most part. It is a nitro clear coat over acrylic Metallic Teal Green:
    Last edited by Cogs; 11-20-2007 at 03:01 AM.