Thread: Tube comparison, FYI: reissue Tung Sol's vs. NOS GE

Forum Member

Tube comparison, FYI: reissue Tung Sol's vs. NOS GE

Since I have two sets of power and preamp tubes, I decided to post a comparison for y'all, especially since there isn't much (if anything) on this forum about the Tung Sol reissues. The amp is my Weber 5F1a kit (requiring 1 5Y3, 1 6V6, and 1 12AX7), and the guitar is my PRS Soapbar SE. The rectumfryer used is a NOS JAN Phillips. I've given both sets a good workout, so here's my best attempt at describing the sound verbally:

Tung Sol Reissues: Snappy, articulate, and bright, but not quite as complex and rich sounding as I'd prefer. The tubes yielded sounds that were nice and tight. They had a bit more grind to them when playing chords cranked than the GE's did. I could've tried raising the bridge pickup to see if that fattened the sound up a bit but I didn't. Decent sounding tube, but nothing special.

NOS GE (not sure the year, but the script lettering on the tubes look kinda 1960'sish): The winners of this comparison! Nice and fat and warm, but not dark. Very harmonically complex. Sounds greasier (in a good way) than the Tung-Sol reissues. Didn't have quite as much sparkle and snap as the Tung-Sol reissues, but I figure once my Telecaster is done that will give me all of the snap and sparkle I want. Plenty of grind with the P90's, but not quite as much as the Tung Sol's. I liked the breakup of the GE's much better though. The GE tubes simply oozed tweed!

I have no clue how the JJ 6V6s would sound compared to the Tung-Sol reissues, but if I were to get new production tubes I'd pass on the Tung Sols and try the JJ's. Heck, now that I mention the JJ's, I doubt they'd fit in my amp!

So if you're looking for new tubes, the Tung Sol reissues sound decent, but I'd pass. Luckily for me, I only need one power tube and one preamp tube! That makes splurging on some good NOS tubes actually affordable!
    Last edited by tugboat; 07-30-2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Tube comparison, FYI: reissue Tung Sol's vs. NOS GE

As an aside - Dave Green at Matamp swears by JJ 6V6's and EL34's in all of their stuff and he's a pretty fussy son of a so and so

You really can't compair NOS w/t new production and expect favorable results from new production. I however have compared JJ's vs NP Tung-Sols in my Princeton Reverb. The 1st thing I noticed is the JJ is constructed much better. The glass is thicker, It just feels more solid in your hand. Sonically the JJ's sound a Lil' fuller in the low mids. But when cranked ! This is where the RI Tung-Sols edges out the JJ's. The JJ's seem hold their headroom a tad longer,But don't transition into overdrive as smooth as the Tung-Sols. The JJ's get crunchy real fast then become raspy when really pushed. the Tung-Sol get raspy to, But seem to have a smoother transition period from O.D. to raspy yuck. Or you could say with the right playing dynamics you could stay in that sweet zone with the Tung-Sols While the JJ's would go right into saturation.

Forum Member

I had no idea what type tubes you were comparing until you mentioned JJ 6V6's near the end. You might want to clarify your review. Power/Preamp and type?? The new Tung-sol 12AX7's are also killer.

The JJ 6V6's are more like 6L6's in 6V6 glass. Out of new production 6V6's you can't go wrong with the TS's. Most everyone I know that has tried them, really like them including a few boutique amp builders. A lot of the Orange guys like em also. To each his own.

Of course I assume each set you tried were biased properly?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamisonst View Post
    Of course I assume each set you tried were biased properly?

I test drove them in a cathode biased Tweed Champ. There's no re-biasing necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jamisonst View Post
    The JJ 6V6's are more like 6L6's in 6V6 glass.
    I've heard the plates from the JJ 6V6 are from their 7591. 19 watts plate dissipation, vs. 14 for a 6L6GTA. The same rating as a 6L6G.

I can't confirm that, of course.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nitroburst View Post
    You really can't compair NOS w/t new production and expect favorable results from new production. I however have compared JJ's vs NP Tung-Sols in my Princeton Reverb. The 1st thing I noticed is the JJ is constructed much better. The glass is thicker, It just feels more solid in your hand. Sonically the JJ's sound a Lil' fuller in the low mids. But when cranked ! This is where the RI Tung-Sols edges out the JJ's. The JJ's seem hold their headroom a tad longer,But don't transition into overdrive as smooth as the Tung-Sols. The JJ's get crunchy real fast then become raspy when really pushed. the Tung-Sol get raspy to, But seem to have a smoother transition period from O.D. to raspy yuck. Or you could say with the right playing dynamics you could stay in that sweet zone with the Tung-Sols While the JJ's would go right into saturation.
    True about the NOS vs. New Production. If I had something that required more tubes, like a Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, etc... I wouldn'tve minded using the Tung-Sol reissues. They didn't sound bad, they just didn't blow me away.

It's like going to a road course and really running a Ford Mustang GT through the paces, and then hopping right into a Dodge Viper and doing the same. There's no contest. Of course the Viper would blow the 'stang out of the water both in terms of elapsed time and sheer driving experience. Is that to say the Mustang isn't a fun car to drive? Heck no.

I'm not sure what the JJ would be in terms of cars. 350z?

Anyways, it just so happens that since I only need three tubes for my amp, I can afford the "Dodge Viper".

what about NOS Tung Sols? I was looking at a set of 5881's on the 'bay. worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by CzarSketch View Post
    what about NOS Tung Sols? I was looking at a set of 5881's on the 'bay. worth it?
    Original Made In USA Tung Sol 5881s are some of my favorite tubes ever. Just put them in amps that are within their operating parameters. Like, don't put them in a SF Twin.

The two sets I have are pulls. One pair I bought at a hamfest for $7/each, and aren't exactly matched. Sound excellent, though and have for a few years now. The other pair is a used/test as new pair. They're my backups, and I've got something like three pairs of small bottle Phillips behind them, which are nice, and relatively inexpensive.

I imagine those are all the 6L6 tubes I'll need.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

excellent! grabbed a pulled pair--from the same amp--for $25. I'm psyched now!