Thread: cutting your own pickguard

cutting your own pickguard

Has any body here done this: taking a blank and cutting your own pickguard (including beveling - talking multi-ply here). Any advice?
    Thanks
    Tom

Re: cutting your own pickguard

Are you doing something really unusual or using a non-traditional material?
    My experience, even just routing, is that without the right tools it's tricky.
    I even had a pro screw up a p'up opening on a 5-ply Strat guard.

There are so many options available, I don't think I'd do it again.
    I paid extra, but in the end, my oddball controls are laid out just right, and there was no chance of me or my shade-tree methods going awry.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

just order one from a reputable supplier. they'll all cut custom guards from their stock of materials.

I've had a few done that turned out great. Greenguards with early style 11 hole and two humbuckers, etc.

Trace and rough cut your pickguard to the outside of your lines using a fine tooth bandsaw blade (or reasonable facsimilie). Using a stiff piece of sheet metal with a straight edge works well as a scraper and is used to bring the guard down to size along with some jewelers files for corners/tight spots. Once you have sized the guard, use the scraper to bevel the edge. Take your time being consistent with the angle. After determining the screw hole placement, a simple drill then counter sync will set your mounting screws down level. Hope this helps.
    The SWEET DADDY Band. Classic rock, Southern rock & Blues.

Thanks, jignant! Good advice. For everybody else: it's about a pickguard for an ES 335, so no pickup routings or any other tricky stuff. Any body else?
    How about using a Dremel for the bevel?

I made one for my 335 out of Stew Mac's 5 layer material. I used a fine keyhole saw to rough out the shape. I then used a belt sander to take it doen to its final size and shape. I then used a machinists file to bevel the edge, drilled the hole, and counter sunk it with a counter sinking bit, available at any hardware store. If tou don't have a belt sander, you can shape it with a file, it just takes a little longer. The right way to do it is to make a thick wooden or polymer templatel, then feed it into a router with a 45 degree beveler with a bearing guide, but if your only making one, IMHO, it doesn't pay to make a template. Pat

Those are absolutely available through places like WD.

I'm not trying to discourage you, BTW. It's just that I tend chose my battles these days, when it comes to DIY projects.
    It's not due to doubting your handiness.
    Just to be clear.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Making a pro guard is pretty easy if you have the right tools and know how.

You will need to make a template from some 1/4" stock masonite or plywood first. Pull it off an existing guard with a router table and flush trimming bit.

Once you have the template made up double stick tape your material to it, rough band saw it out. Use your router table and flush bit to cut out the guard. Drill the appropriate holes on your drill press using the template that should have the screw holes in it.
    Use a 45 degree bevel cutter with a bearing on top to cut your bevel.

Lots of interesting responses here. I'm sure they all work just fine, some may be more time consuming.

I always go with a template. While some may feel it's an extra step, I figure if I ever want to cut another one, I have the template. I've built up a decent selection of them over the years, from pickguards to control cavity covers to pickup routes.

Here's my method:

Start with 3/4 plywood or solid wood. Use a piece of paper and trace out everything from the old gaurd. Screw holes, switches, pickups, etc. Stick it to the wood with spray adhesive.

Cut and shape the pickguard using a coping saw, jigsaw, or scroll saw, depending on what you have. Use files and sandpaper to get it exactly right, because your pickguard will be identical. Drill all openings. When you're done you should have an identical 3/4" wood version of the guard. If you used plywood, fill and sand any voids on the edges.

Use 2-sided carpet tape to stick the pickgaurd material to the wood, good side up. Make sure the protective plastic is on the material to avoid scratching! I've even used temporary adhesive to mount a piece of felt to the router base.

With a flush-cut bearing guided router bit, route the entire guard, all sides and pickup openings. When that's done, use a bevelled bearing guided bit to cut the bevelled edges. Don't worry, since the bevelled bit takes more than the straight bit, this process works perfectly. If you do it right and take your time, you'll have no filing to do.

Drill all of your holes now using the template. Remove the pickgaurd material from the template (carefully, carpet tape is sticky stuff!)

Finished! Store the template in a safe place. Next time you want to make one, dig it out and go! Most of the work is already done.

Edited to add:
    Having said all that, I still try to buy when I can. I only resort to making my own if I can't find what I want. Sometimes that means buying and modifying a pickup opening, but it's worth it to not have to do the entire guard myself, and I've done a ton of them.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

A friend made one out of clear plexiglass, and put black and white checkered cloth under it. It looked great, and had a textured look. I imagine paper, or lots of other stuff would also work underneath for those really obscure things you might want to try.

I have thought about doing one also, and keep my eyes out for other materials that would work.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, folks! Although I thought this might have been a fun project and might save me some money, reading through your posts I think, I'd rather order some existing part.
    Cutting the guard wouldn't scare me off, but the beveling seems to be not too easy, unless you'd get the right tools and that sure wouldn't be a money saver. ;)

Tom, here's a rule of thumb when considering a DIY project.

It's never cheaper. Guys who do this type of thing do it because they love it. Sure, once in a while you may be able to fashion something for a little less, but the thrill is in the chase. Figuring out how to do it, finding the components, tools, etc. and ending up with something unique.

But it is generally accepted that if you're going to build or mod at home, you won't be saving a penny.

I know, telecast and I'd be doing it just for the fun of doing it and be proud of what I've done (hey, my gold finish Strat clone was more expensive than if I'd gotten the one that was already assembled and set up in the shop where I bought the parts and I am proud of it and it 's one of my best guitars).
    I'm not so much scared to mess up a pickguard blank than to mess up my fingers without the right tools, but I'm still thinking about giving it a try. Thanks again for all your input!

Forum Member

Thanks Telecast! What a nice, detailed, write-up! I'm tooling up for this kind of thing now. I love wierd cheap guitars and trashed yard-sale guitars. Sometimes new guards are not available and custom-order jobs too expensive. I just made a guard for a National Map guitar--they have a guard on the back side that covers practically the entire body. I only wish I had read your instructions first!

Forum Member

Telecast makes them much like I do but I'll add a couple things.I use baltic birch ply for my templates as it has no voids.I sand the final size and shape on a ocsillating drum sander.I like 1/2" because it's lighter and easier to work with.A table mounted router makes things very easy but if you don't have one you may want to get a laminate trimmer.It's just a small router and easier to work with than a full sized router.Especially on guitar parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tonezone View Post
    I sand the final size and shape on a ocsillating drum sander.I like 1/2" because it's lighter and easier to work with.A table mounted router makes things very easy
    Ya know, I do too. But the post here was for how the average joe could go about it. There's not a lot of people I know that want to drop $300 for an oscillating drum sander so they can make a pickguard.

This response is pretty late, but i just thought i'd share how i make pickguards, as i just cut a Strat one for my Lite Ash strat (turning it form black to white) and i cut a Gibson SG guard last week... What i do is make a template out of thick, thick plastic... about half an inch... then i place a square of material over it with double stick tape.. after that, i simply use my router with a bevelled edge, and drill the holes.. DONE!