Thread: Hey Fezz, Got Any More Clips?

Forum Member

Hey Fezz, Got Any More Clips?

A while back you posted a clip called "Red Letter Blues" that was done using a 5E5 amp in a 4x10 cab. I really like the sound of that amp, maybe I've just become partial to cathode biased amps. Do you have any more clips of that particular amp that you could post if you don't mind?

Thanks,
    Ken

Re: Hey Fezz, Got Any More Clips?

I'm no Fezz, but I recently posted some pics from my 5E5 through a 1-12. I had the cathode bias selected, too (I have both cathode and fixed on board that's switchable).

Playing's sloppy, but I coaxed the sounds that I wanted out of the amp.

I posted them here: Naked Tone Samples
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Thanks NTB, I'll have a listen. What kind of speakers are you using?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 4960 View Post
    Thanks NTB, I'll have a listen. What kind of speakers are you using?

Ken
    Embarrassed to say, but it's still got the Celestion V30 in it. Going to try the Jensen P12Q next.

Like I said, not the 4x12 cab, but a good tweed sound for reference, I think.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4960 View Post
    A while back you posted a clip called "Red Letter Blues" that was done using a 5E5 amp in a 4x10 cab. I really like the sound of that amp, maybe I've just become partial to cathode biased amps. Do you have any more clips of that particular amp that you could post if you don't mind?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Ken,

I think fezz's amp you're referring to is a 5E3 in 4X10 cab. Is that right fezz?

Forum Member

Thanks Fezz. I recently built a 5E7 clone with 4x10's, but I'm just not bonding with the thing. Should have built a 5E5, but I thought it would sound like the my 5E3 clone. After hearing your clip I realize that it is a beast unto itself and doesn't sound like a 5E3 at all. Been kicking around the idea of building a 5E5 head and plugging it into the 4x10 cab.

Ken

You need to mess with the tone controls on a 5E7 a bit to find the sweet spots. They're very interactive.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Kap'n,

I haven't given up on it yet, still messin' with it. I've got a Mercury Magnetics OT ordered to replace the Weber OT, see if that help. First time I've ever used one of those over priced transformers, hope they're worth the money.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Embarrassed to say, but it's still got the Celestion V30 in it. Going to try the Jensen P12Q next.

Like I said, not the 4x12 cab, but a good tweed sound for reference, I think.
    Embarrassed?
    I thought you liked how it sounds?

Don't change it cause other people tell you something else is better.
    If it sounds good. It sounds good.

Yeah, G-Mc, I read ya' loud and clear.

I still want to try and see if another speaker does it better. It does sound good with the V30, but it's not quite as nice as my 5F1 with the Alnico in it. I'm all about reaching potential...if the V30 is it, then that's what stays in there. If the Alnico makes it sound nicer, then that's what stays.

The V30 is just what was on hand. It's kind of heavy on the mids, and I've gotta turn the treble way down. Not as warm as what I would expect with a tweed, either.

But again, not bad at all.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    It's a 5e5 now. Got some Tung Sol 5881's in it, and a different OT. Great amp.
    Oh cool, didnt know you'd changed it.